Zohra cuts out of Cabin John
Many hair salons began reopening this week, but Zohra at Cabin John Village was not among them. Owner Ofeer Marwani, who’s been with the salon since 1994, says he opted not to renew his lease after a decade inside the mini-mall. “We just couldn’t come to terms” over a new rental agreement, Marwani says. “I would’ve had to raise my prices for customers in order to stay at Cabin John, so I finally had to walk away.” What’s next for Zohra? Marwani says he’s already scouting locations and expects to reopen nearby with the same team of stylists. “This community has supported me for 26 years,” he says. “I’m not going anywhere.” Neither is jeweler Susan Koehn, who operates a store inside the salon and says she she’ll reopen wherever Marwani signs a new lease.
On the comeback trail
Goldberg’s New York Bagels, closed since the end of March, reopened this week in Potomac, Rockville and Silver Spring. Most of the local farmers markets are also back in business – some with the option to pre-order your food, instead of strolling from vendor to vendor. Bubble tea and ice cream shops are beginning to return as well, and Asian food halls The Spot, The Block and Pike Kitchen have partially reopened for takeout, delivery and curbside pickup. If you’re looking to support black-owned businesses, York Castle Caribbean Ice Cream is now scooping on Rockville Pike and the Black Lion coffee shop is in the process of reopening on Traville Gateway Drive.
Taking it outside
Outdoor dining slowly returned to Montgomery County this week, as our local restaurants and shopping centers started opening their patios and sidewalk seating. For customers who don’t feel comfortable — and for restaurants that don’t have the option — contact-free ordering, delivery and curbside pickup will continue to be the norm. Check out this week’s Store Reporter Guide for the latest info on patio dining, summer menu updates and local shopping. And don’t miss our new section, “Celebrations,” for creative ideas to honor dads, grads, mitzvahs and more in this era of social distancing.
FOOD & DRINKS
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Brooklyn’s Deli would like to thank Eagle Bank for getting us through this extremely rough time. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- CAVA MEZZE, five locations across the DMV, now offering outdoor dining featuring our Cava lamb chops, scallops risotto & spanakopita. Reservations through our website or OpenTable. Seating is limited, so reservations are strongly recommended but not required. We also offer contactless takeout & delivery featuring family meals, individual platters & (2) for Tuesdays: $40 for two adult booze pouches. More info: cavamezze.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating now open for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu, weekly specials plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- GYROLAND casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: gyroland.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy our patio for outdoor dining. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- JULII RESTAURANT, located in the heart of Pike & Rose, offering Chef D’s take on timeless French classics. Outside dining now available, featuring signature dishes like foie torchon, crispy trout and salmon crudo. Seating is limited, so reservations are strongly recommended but not required. We also offer contactless takeout & delivery services, plus (2) for Tuesdays: $40 for two adult booze pouches. Call (301) 517-9090 or visit us at julii.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. New menu featuring split grilled bangers, Guinness-battered fish & chips, corned beef & cabbage, shepherd’s pie, chops, steaks & sandwiches. Discounted beer and wine to go. Delivery, carry-out, curbside pickup or enjoy outdoor dining in our new socially distanced patio seating. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email email@example.com or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MIRCH MASALA GRILL, Indian cuisine at Westfield Montgomery mall. Now open for curbside pickup 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, with popular dishes like butter chicken, chicken tikka, lamb curry, rice bowls with chicken, vegan dishes & samosas. We also cater for larger groups. Use delivery apps, call (301) 365-0677, or text your order to (240) 432-8077.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (240) 660-2626. Rockville location: (301) 738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery and curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Offering your favorite waffles, Beef Bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- MYKONOS GRILL, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Our outdoor patio is now open! Carry-out & free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum. We also work with the major delivery apps. Try our branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call (301) 770-5999. Menu: mykonosgrill.com.
- NORMANDIE FARM, pop on over for fine cooking in the heart of Potomac, 10710 Falls Road. Outdoor patio now open! Full menu service, fine wines & spirits, live music Thursday-Sunday evenings, and of course our famous popovers. Also open for carry-out service. Phone: (301) 983-8838. Menu: popovers.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- RSVP CATERING, fine catering & groceries delivered right to your home. Gourmet foods for date night, family meals & everything in between. Store in your fridge, re-heat when ready. Also offering grocery items, essentials & margaritas by the gallon. Call (703) 573-8700 or shop rsvpcatering.com/store.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: (301)299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- SUGO at Park Potomac, dinner takeout featuring pastas, pizzas & family meals. Feed 4 to 5 people with our hanger steaks, chicken & eggplant parmesan, spicy rigatoni, risotto fritters & more. Try our two-for-$20 pizzas, plus bottled sangria & Sugo Punch. Order via the major delivery apps, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (240) 386-8080 and pick up curbside. Our patio is now open with happy hour from 4 p.m. daily! Menu: eatsugo.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our new $78 Clambake: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw, complete with checked tablecloth. Call (301) 299-9888 or email email@example.com to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Restaurant open Tuesday-Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call (301) 984-0005. Market open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday with curbside pickup. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
- CREATIVE INVITATIONS BALLOONS AND MORE, planning local weddings & mitzvahs for more than three decades. Owner Shelley Poulos can help with everything: choosing your venue, caterer & DJ, selecting favors, decorating & staffing your event. We’ll also decorate the outside of your house with balloons & signs for any occasion. Mention Store Reporter for a discount. Call 301-279-0560 or click here.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- PALACE FLORISTS, family-owned since 1943. Farm-fresh, gorgeous flower arrangements and beautiful wrapped bouquets, plus festive & fun balloon bouquets, stunning orchid plants and lush green plants. Curbside pickup in Rockville at 4980 Wyaconda Rd., or no-contact delivery throughout the DMV. Call (301) 945-0253 or shop www.palaceflorists.com.
- PARTYSCAPES, custom yard signs for any occasion. Let us set the perfect scene for any celebration: graduations, birthdays, anniversaries, bar/bat mitzvahs & more. 100% contact-less service. Stunning, personalized, larger-than-life designs that will make your celebration POP! Social: @partyscapesdc. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (855) 369-5904. Website: partyscapes.net.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel, now in the comfort of your own home. 20% off all clothes right now. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique. Refresh your closet. Refresh your mood. Soon to reopen at the Cabin John mini-mall, now offering virtual shopping and online orders with free delivery. We carry designer face masks, free with purchase. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, new & gently used women’s boutique. On-trend, affordable clothing & accessories. Great selection of face masks $8-$12. Facetime shopping, free shipping on orders over $100, local delivery & curbside pickup at 212 Main Street, Gaithersburg. Almost everything is 20% off right now. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Phone: (240) 476-9800. eBay store: ebay.com/str/karensrocksandrags.
- ON CLOUD 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults. Offering virtual shopping & online orders. Pick up curbside by our Potomac Woods Plaza store, 1085 Seven Locks Road. Many items 20% off right now. Call (301) 251-1331 or email email@example.com. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R BOUTIQUE, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Tons of casual wear, tie-dye sets, shorts, tank tops, sandals & sneakers. Now offering curbside pickup & free delivery within a 10-mile radius. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, (301) 943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Shop online or contact us for a virtual shopping experience. Click here for tons of new facemask colors & styles. Free shipping, local delivery or curbside pickup from noon to 6 p.m. 30% off using code SEEYOUSOON. Check our Instagram for weekly giveaways. Call us: (301) 348-5047. Shop: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. Windowshop us: 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. thebluehousebethesda.com.
- THE COTTAGE MONET, the perfect gifts for you and yours. Soon to reopen at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave. Just arrived: Vera Bradley face masks with filter pockets, just $8 and selling fast. Now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. Website: cottagemonet.com. Email us: email@example.com.
KIDS & FAMILY FUN
- BOWS ETC., now making face masks with personality for men, women & kids. Our website has been updated! Your smile may be hidden, but you can still rock fun designs & show off your favorite sports teams & colleges. Our masks are reversible & washable, with three layers of 100% cotton fabric & filter pockets. $14 plus $5 shipping, or porch pickup in the Shady Grove area. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or shop bowsetc.com.
- GAME GYM, now offering online esports afternoon classes and full-week online camps for all ages and skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills and physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- MY GYM LIVE! age-appropriate fun for all the kids. Live interactive 30-minute kids’ fitness classes filled with song, dance, gymnastics, sports and more. Our gyms may be closed, but we’re bringing all the fun you expect from My Gym directly into your house. Now offering My Gym Live! birthday parties and new outdoor classes. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- ISOLDIT, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: (301) 990-2040. Email us: email@example.com. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306 or click here.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here.
- NORMANDY CARPET, excellence in carpet, rug & upholstery cleaning & installation. We’re essential & here to serve you. Spilled wine on your carpet? Dog peed in the house? Flooding from the rain? We follow CDC safety guidelines, and our cleaning method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call (301) 741-2005 or email email@example.com. More info: www.normandycarpet.com.