Thirteen unlucky restaurants
In the flurry of restaurant shutdowns these past few months — some pandemic-related, some not so much — it’s been difficult to keep track of which places are temporarily closed and which are gone for good. As we approach the end of summer, here’s a list of local eateries that likely won’t be back.
- Addie’s at Park Potomac. This three-year-old reboot never seemed to regain the fan base of its fondly remembered predecessor on Rockville Pike. Other restaurants in the Black Restaurant Group portfolio have reopened since the pandemic began, but Addie’s won’t be among them.
- Bagel City on Rockville Pike. This longtime favorite closed in March, and owner George Kavadoy originally expected to return. But as the pandemic dragged on, he changed his mind to protect the health of his ill wife.
- Beefsteak at Westfield Montgomery mall. José Andrés’ veggie-centric restaurant pulled back during the pandemic, leaving only one location in the D.C. area. Beefsteak never did draw much of a crowd at the mall, where it faced tough competition from the Cava across the hall.
- Chuy’s on Rockville Pike. The Mexican restaurant shut down in March after a four-year run at Federal Plaza. The Texas-based chain already had announced some closings before the pandemic, so the timing here was likely just a coincidence.
- Cici’s Pizza on Rockville Pike. This chain restaurant was a longtime tenant at the Pike Center strip mall, which also had been home to the departed Bagel City.
- Gumbo Ya Ya at Rockville Town Square. This locally owned eatery across from First Watch featured a mashup of New Orleans-style cuisine and traditional Puerto Rican dishes. It didn’t even last six months in a spot that appears to be cursed, having been home to at least six failed restaurants in the past decade. (Remember Bobby’s Crabcakes, Tippy’s Taco House, 82 Steak Out, Ev & Maddy’s and Lab Cafe?)
- Honeyfish Poke on Rockville Pike. This California-based concept was among the first local eateries to specialize in the Hawaiian-style raw fish dish. Owners had planned to open more locations in the D.C. area, but the expansion never happened. Honeyfish Poke went dark early in the pandemic after a three-year run at Congressional Plaza.
- La Tasca at Rockville Town Square. The Spanish-style tapas chain filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy in May and closed all its remaining locations. La Tasca had been of the last remaining original tenants at Rockville Town Square.
- Le Pain Quotidien at Wildwood and Cabin John Village. LPQ was already struggling before the pandemic, and its U.S. division filed Chapter 11 in May. Some LPQ restaurants have since reopened, but these two won’t be back.
- Mirch Masala at Westfield Montgomery mall. The Indian restaurant reached its 10th anniversary in June, but the pandemic convinced owner Poonam Chopra not to renew her lease.
- Nantucket’s Reef at Traville Village Center. It looks like we’ve seen the last of this Cape Cod-style eatery, which “temporarily” closed in March but hasn’t been heard from since.
- Pizza CS on Rockville Pike. The Neapolitan-style pizzeria was already expected to exit this summer to make way for the new Wegmans-anchored redevelopment project. In this case, the pandemic just accelerated that timetable.
- Subway restaurants in Potomac and Rockville. The sub chain recently closed its doors at Potomac’s Cabin John Village and Rockville’s Federal Plaza. It’s unclear whether the closings were pandemic-related.
Amazon store almost ready for prime time
Here’s a sneak peek of the new Amazon 4-Star store, set to open next month at Westfield Montgomery mall. The shelves will be filled with an ever-changing selection of Amazon’s most popular and top-rated products in several key categories: books, toys, electronics, housewares and kitchen goods. You’ll also find plenty of Amazon gadgets, from Echos to Kindles, and Prime members will enjoy the same pricing they’d find online. This will be the first Amazon 4-Star store in the D.C. area. (The Amazon bookstores in Bethesda and Georgetown are a different concept.) For more photos of what’s in stock so far, check out Store Reporter on Facebook and Instagram.
Trouble for CPK
California Pizza Kitchen filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week, blaming the pandemic for its troubles. So far, it doesn’t sound like our area will be impacted: Staffers at Rio and Westfield Montgomery mall say they’ve been told those locations will stay open.
Peruvian chicken at Fallsgrove
With all this news of restaurants closing, we do have one opening to report: Poyoteca, serving Peruvian chicken and sides, makes its debut this weekend at Rockville’s Fallsgrove shopping center. You’ll find it in the former Cheeburger Cheeburger space, next to Mamma Lucia. This is the second restaurant for Poyoteca, which also has a location in Baltimore.
The Store Reporter Guide
A local guide sponsored by some of our favorite stores, restaurants and service businesses. Check out this week’s new additions.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- DAZZLE PARTY GIRLS, creatively decorated chocolate-dipped treats for any occasion. Birthdays, graduations, college/grad school acceptance celebrations, corporate & client thank-you gifts, holidays, bar/bat mitzvahs, wedding favors, teacher gifts, thank-you gifts for hospitals & essential workers… If there’s someone you’d like to thank or celebrate, we’ll dazzle them. Visit us on Instagram and Facebook, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your fall events now; private shopping appointments are available throughout the summer. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- BOWS ETC. has the face masks that you & your loved ones need plus hair fashions for girls & women. Don’t let social distancing stop you from showing your personality! Our triple-layered masks are 100% cotton, reversible & washable. Shipping or porch pickup available. Loads of colorful patterns & themes: florals, sports, swirls, mah jongg, unicorns, college designs & solids for students returning to school. Visit us: Facebook and Instagram. Call (301) 442-6707. Website: bowsetc.com.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel, now in the comfort of your own home. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, now open at the Cabin John mini-mall. Fully stocked with new styles to fit your lifestyle, free designer face masks with your purchase. Call for a safe, sanitized one-on-one shopping appointment. We still offer virtual shopping and online orders with free limited delivery. Curbside pickup & shipping on orders over $50. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, new & gently used women’s boutique with on-trend, affordable clothing & accessories. 212 Main Street, Gaithersburg. Now accepting luxury designer bags on consignment for a 50/50 split. Check out our $10 face masks, $10 racks & 20% off racks. Open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Phone: (240) 631-2565. eBay store: ebay.com/str/karensrocksandrags.
- MY BEST FRIEND’S CLOSET, a fun & exciting shopping experience with the best selection of junior, young contemporary & women’s clothing at very reasonable price points. 9735 Traville Gateway Drive, Rockville. We receive new merchandise daily, so stop in often to find fun pieces to add to your wardrobe. Don’t miss our very popular $10 racks. Open Monday-Saturday noon to 4 p.m., with private appointments on Sunday. Shop Instagram. Call (301) 340-3233. Website: mybffcloset.com.
- R BOUTIQUE, a sophisticated & modern clothing store, now open inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & accessories. Tons of casual wear, tie-dye sets, shorts, tank tops, sandals & sneakers. Boutique hours are Tuesday-Saturday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Or call Rayna at (301) 943-2000 for a private shopping appointment. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- SANS SKINCARE, luxurious, locally crafted spa-quality products. Beautiful skin starts with healthy skin. Our moisturizers, serums, cleansers, masks, balms, scrubs & more are 100% natural, plant-based formulations that contain no water, no preservatives & no harmful chemicals. Because sometimes what you leave out of a product is just as important as what you put into it. Visit us on Instagram, Twitter. and Facebook. Website: sansskincare.com.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We have tons of new summer arrivals. Click here for new face mask colors & styles. Shop Instagram. Shop Facebook. We will continue to offer curbside pickup, so feel free to shop online or call us at (301) 348-5047 to help with your shopping needs! Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: email@example.com. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg, and we ship nationwide. Website: thebluehousebethesda.com.
FOOD, DRINKS & MEAL DEALS
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes from scratch, cheese blintzes & more — plus artisan bagels from Bethesda Bagels. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating & limited indoor seating now open for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu and weekly specials, plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- GYROLAND casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Dine-in service, cashless transactions only. Open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, 11 to 9 p.m. Sunday. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a 5-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: gyroland.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy our patio for outdoor dining plus limited seating indoors. Reservations recommended. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. New menu featuring split grilled bangers, Guinness-battered fish & chips, corned beef & cabbage, shepherd’s pie, chops, steaks & sandwiches. Discounted beer and wine to go. Delivery, carry-out, curbside pickup or enjoy outdoor dining in our new socially distanced patio & have a cocktail at our new outdoor bar. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery, curbside pickup & limited indoor seating, plus outdoor dining at Fallsgrove. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Also offering outdoor dining plus limited seating in our newly redesigned dining room. Offering your favorite waffles, beef bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- MYKONOS GRILL, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Outdoor patio, plus limited indoor dining & carry-out from 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday. Reservations strongly recommended. Cashless transactions only. Free delivery in a 5-mile radius with $50 minimum, or use the major delivery apps. Try our branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. Ask about our daily specials. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call (301) 770-5999. Menu: mykonosgrill.com.
- NORMANDIE FARM, pop on over for fine cooking in the heart of Potomac, 10710 Falls Road. Outdoor patio now open, plus limited indoor seating. Full menu service, fine wines & spirits, live music Thursday-Sunday evenings, and of course our famous popovers. Also open for carry-out service. Phone: (301) 983-8838. Menu: popovers.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup and patio dining at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301)299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our new $78 Clambake: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw, complete with checked tablecloth. Call (301) 299-9888 or email email@example.com to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open during construction 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call (301) 984-0005. Market open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday with curbside pickup available. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups & age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends & still social distance. Also introducing pod play dates! We come to your backyard. We’re still offering interactive live Zoom classes & birthday parties. And we’ve opened the Potomac location for small group indoor playdates & small three-hour camps. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
FURNITURE, ART & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. For more info, call (301) 738-0347 or email email@example.com.
- ISI FURNISH, lightly used furnishings & decor at a fraction of the cost. Our white-glove service makes it easy to sell your fine furniture discreetly & professionally. If you’re looking to buy, we offer a wide range of affordable luxury furnishings to match your design and budget. Call us: (971) 337-4403. Shop with us for new items every week: isifurnish.com.
- SOLDIT, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: (301) 990-2040. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email email@example.com. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600 or . Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS — Drs. Debra and Richard Shin believe everyone should be able to afford an amazing smile. We offer Invisalign and Invisalign Teen, clear braces or traditional metal braces, and lingual braces. All PPO insurance plans accepted. Free consultations and custom financial plans with no large payments or hidden fees. Cabin John mini-mall and 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville. Call 301-770-7770. Website: shinorthodontics.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.