Stores reopen this weekend!
Friday at 5 p.m. marks the beginning of Phase II reopening in Montgomery County. Stores, gyms and nail salons that have been closed for months will be able to open their doors again to a small stream of visitors. Restaurants will be allowed to open their dining rooms at 50% capacity, but most will continue to emphasize takeout, delivery and curbside pickup. Westfield Montgomery mall will reopen on Tuesday, June 23rd, with limited hours (11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, noon to 6 p.m. Sunday) and lots of rules. Management says it will monitor the number of visitors, enforce social distancing, remind people to wear masks and provide plenty of hand sanitizer stations. Some of the mall’s restaurants will be open, but you won’t be able to linger at the Dining Terrace. “We are not going to allow people to gather in the mall,” county executive Marc Elrich said at a press briefing this week. “People should enter the mall and go to the store they want to shop at. They are open for shopping, not for socializing.”
Bagel City leaves a hole
This week we say goodbye to longtime local favorite Bagel City, which appears to be permanently closed on Rockville Pike. The restaurant shut down at the beginning of the pandemic, but owners planned to reopen and they still sounded optimistic when we spoke with them last week. A few days later, the Bagel City sign came down and the restaurant was dismantled. Goldberg’s New York Bagels, which also shut its doors at the beginning of the pandemic, has reopened all three of its locations. And Attman’s Deli, which exited Cabin John Village in April, is still negotiating for a new space nearby.
Bark at the park
As if local dogs aren’t happy enough with their families quarantined at home these past few months, we just got word that a “dog bar” is on the way to Pike & Rose. Opening this fall between Julii and Jinya (in the area formerly known as “The Beach”), Bark Social will offer beer, coffee, food and WiFi — plus dog treats, pet supplies and off-leash time for your pooch. The catch: Dog owners pay for entry ($9.99 a day, $39.99 a month or $264.99 for an annual membership). If you don’t have a dog, you can visit Bark Social for free.
Game Gym zooms into summer
As local kids and teens face a summer’s worth of canceled plans, Rockville-based Game Gym continues to expand its array of virtual offerings. The three-year-old esports studio provides coaching for League of Legends, Rocket League, Minecraft, Overwatch, Valorant and Super Smash Bros. — but owner Josh Hafkin says there’s more going on behind the screen. “We are creating meaningful experiences, encouraging these kids to open up and form real human relationships in our camps,” he says. “We talk about mental health, self-confidence and cyber-bullying. These conversations aren’t always happening in the gaming world, but they should be.” Game Gym camps also include an exercise component, so the business has launched partnerships with the Washington Wizards, the Virginia Youth Soccer Association and Power Train Sports and Fitness. To learn more about Game Gym’s summer programs, click here or email firstname.lastname@example.org. To save $30 on Game Gym summer camps, click here and use code REPORTER30.
The Store Reporter Guide
Our weekly guide to some of your favorite stores, restaurants and service businesses.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- GYM & TONIC at Park Potomac, luxury athleisure apparel — now in the comfort of your own home. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique at the Cabin John mini-mall, second floor. Fully stocked with new styles to fit your lifestyle, free designer face masks with your purchase. Call for a safe, sanitized one-on-one shopping appointment. We still offer virtual shopping and online orders with free limited delivery. Curbside pickup & shipping on orders over $50. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, new & gently used women’s boutique, 212 Main Street, Gaithersburg. On-trend, affordable clothing & accessories. Great selection of face masks $8-$12. Facetime shopping, free shipping on orders over $100, local delivery & curbside pickup available. Almost everything is 20% off right now. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Phone: (240) 476-9800. eBay store: ebay.com/str/karensrocksandrags.
- ON CLOUD 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1085 Seven Locks Road. We have your favorite brands like Hard Tail, Katie J NYC, Vintage Havana, Ocean Drive, Suzette & Dori, plus masks in stock for ages 3 to adult. We’re still offering virtual shopping, online orders & curbside pickup, plus private shopping appointments. Call (301) 251-1331 or email email@example.com. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R BOUTIQUE, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Tons of casual wear, tie-dye sets, shorts, tank tops, sandals & sneakers. Now offering curbside pickup and free delivery within a 10-mile radius. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, (301) 943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We have tons of new summer arrivals. Click here for new face mask colors & styles. Shop Instagram. Shop Facebook. We will continue to officer curbside pickup, so feel free to shop online or call us at (301) 348-5047 to help with your shopping needs! northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. 7770 Woodmont Ave. in Bethesda. Open 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., with great gifts for Dad. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg, and we ship nationwide. thebluehousebethesda.com.
- THE COTTAGE MONET, the perfect gifts for you and yours at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave. Check out our Vera Bradley face masks with filter pockets ($8) and Corksicle canteens with new straw caps ($10). Now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. Email us: email@example.com. Website: cottagemonet.com
FOOD, DRINKS & MEAL DEALS
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Brooklyn’s Deli would like to thank Eagle Bank for getting us through this extremely rough time. Open daily for carry-out, catering, delivery & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- CAVA MEZZE, five locations across the DMV, now offering outdoor dining, plus limited inside dining at some locations. Featuring our Cava lamb chops, scallops risotto & spanakopita. Reservations through our website or OpenTable. Seating is limited, so reservations are strongly recommended but not required. We also offer contactless takeout & delivery featuring family meals, individual platters & (2) for Tuesdays: $40 for two adult booze pouches. More info: cavamezze.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating & limited indoor seating for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu and weekly specials, plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- GYROLAND casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Dine-in service, cashless transactions only. Open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: gyroland.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner & gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy outdoor patio dining plus limited seating indoors. Reservations recommended. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- JULII RESTAURANT, located in the heart of Pike & Rose, offering Chef D’s take on timeless French classics. Outside dining now available, featuring signature dishes like foie torchon, crispy trout and salmon crudo. Seating is limited, so reservations are strongly recommended but not required. We also offer contactless takeout & delivery services, plus (2) for Tuesdays: $40 for two adult booze pouches. Call (301) 517-9090 or visit us at julii.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. New menu featuring split grilled bangers, Guinness-battered fish & chips, corned beef & cabbage, shepherd’s pie, chops, steaks & sandwiches. Now offering limited indoor dining, or enjoy outdoor dining in our new socially distanced patio & have a cocktail at our new outdoor bar. We also offer delivery & curbside pickup. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MIRCH MASALA GRILL, Indian cuisine at Westfield Montgomery mall. Open through the end of June for curbside pickup 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily, with popular dishes like butter chicken, chicken tikka, lamb curry, rice bowls with chicken, vegan dishes & samosas. We also cater for larger groups. Use delivery apps, call (301) 365-0677, or text your order to (240) 432-8077.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (240) 660-2626. Rockville location: (301) 738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery, limited seating & curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Also offering outdoor dining plus limited seating in our newly redesigned dining room. Offering your favorite waffles, beef bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- MYKONOS GRILL, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Our outdoor patio is now open! Indoor dining beginning Friday at 5 p.m. Hours: 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday & Saturday, noon to 9:30 p.m. Sunday. Reservations strongly recommended. Cashless transactions only. Carry-out & free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum. We also work with the major delivery apps. Try our branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call (301) 770-5999. Menu: mykonosgrill.com.
- NORMANDIE FARM, pop on over for fine cooking in the heart of Potomac, 10710 Falls Road. Outdoor patio now open, plus limited indoor seating. Full menu service, fine wines & spirits, live music Thursday-Sunday evenings, and of course our famous popovers. Also open for carry-out service. Phone: (301) 983-8838. Menu: popovers.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Carry-out & free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Phone: (301)299-4157. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- SUGO at Park Potomac, dinner takeout featuring pastas, pizzas & family meals. Try our patio brunch, or feed 4 to 5 people for Father’s Day (or anytime) with our hanger steaks, chicken & eggplant parmesan, spicy rigatoni, risotto fritters & more. Don’t forget bottled sangria & Sugo Punch. Order via the major delivery apps, email email@example.com or call (240) 386-8080 and pick up curbside. Our patio is now open with happy hour from 4 p.m. daily! Menu: eatsugo.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our new $78 Clambake: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & coleslaw, complete with checked tablecloth. Call (301) 299-9888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Restaurant open Tuesday-Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call (301) 984-0005. Market open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday with curbside pickup. Email email@example.com or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- GAME GYM, now offering online esports afternoon classes & full-week online camps for all ages & skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills & physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- MY GYM LIVE! age-appropriate fun for all the kids. Live interactive 30-minute kids’ fitness classes filled with song, dance, gymnastics, sports and more. Our gyms may be closed, but we’re bringing all the fun you expect from My Gym directly into your house. Now offering My Gym Live! birthday parties and new outdoor classes. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- CREATIVE INVITATIONS BALLOONS AND MORE, planning local weddings & mitzvahs for more than three decades. Owner Shelley Poulos can help with everything: choosing your venue, caterer & DJ, selecting favors, decorating & staffing your event. We’ll also decorate the outside of your house with balloons & signs for any occasion. Mention Store Reporter for a discount. Call 301-279-0560 or click here.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your fall events now; private shopping appointments are available throughout the summer. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PALACE FLORISTS, family-owned since 1943. Farm-fresh, gorgeous flower arrangements and beautiful wrapped bouquets, plus festive & fun balloon bouquets, stunning orchid plants and lush green plants. Curbside pickup in Rockville at 4980 Wyaconda Rd., or no-contact delivery throughout the DMV. Call (301) 945-0253 or shop www.palaceflorists.com.
- PARTYSCAPES, custom yard signs for any occasion. Let us set the perfect scene for any celebration: graduations, birthdays, anniversaries, bar/bat mitzvahs & more. 100% contact-less service. Stunning, personalized, larger-than-life designs that will make your celebration POP! Social: @partyscapesdc. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (855) 369-5904. Website: partyscapes.net.
- SUNNYDYES AT HOME, mobile tie-dye parties for kids & adults. Let us host an event in your backyard or other open space. You pick the project, we’ll bring the tie-dye and all the supplies. Great for kids’ birthdays, adult happy hours & all kinds of special events. Instagram: @sunnydyesathome. For info, call (301) 461-6400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FURNITURE, ART & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. For more info, call (301) 738-0347 or email email@example.com.
- ISI FURNISH, lightly used furnishings & decor at a fraction of the cost. Our white-glove service makes it easy to sell your fine furniture discreetly & professionally. If you’re looking to buy, we offer a wide range of affordable luxury furnishings to match your design and budget. Call us: (971) 337-4403. Shop with us for new items every week: isifurnish.com.
- ISOLDIT, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: (301) 990-2040. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306 or click here.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email email@example.com or click here.
- NORMANDY CARPET, excellence in carpet, rugs & upholstery cleaning. We also specialize in fabricating custom area rugs and wall-to-wall installation. Come visit our showroom, or we can bring the samples to you. We follow CDC safety guidelines for cleaning, and our method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call (301) 741-2005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: www.normandycarpet.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600 or click here.