Starbucks starts pouring again
If there’s one sure sign that things are getting just a bit more normal, this has to be it: Starbucks is on the comeback trail. The coffee chain is planning a slow reopening across the U.S., with 90 percent of its locations expected to be back by June 1st. However, things are going to work a little differently now. Ordering will be done entirely through the Starbucks app; transactions will be cashless; and most stores will not let you come inside. Instead, masked baristas will be standing by the door to assist with the app and hand out orders. And Starbucks isn’t the only chain making plans for a safe return. Read on for more.
Macy's & Best Buy coming back
As Macy’s and Best Buy prepare to re-enter the retail landscape, both chains have announced detailed plans for keeping shoppers safe. Macy’s, which closed all its stores in March, says it will reopen 68 of them next week in states where that’s allowed (not here). Employees will wear masks; fitting room access will be limited; and any merchandise that’s been returned or tried on will be quarantined for 24 hours. Best Buy, which has been offering curbside pickup only, says it will soon reopen stores on a limited basis. What does that mean? For one thing, you’ll have to make an appointment before you go. Once inside, you’ll get a one-on-one shopping session with a masked, gloved and socially distant sales rep. Both chains also promise that surfaces will be sanitized frequently and employees will have their temperatures checked before each shift.
We're Open! Shopping, Dining, Mother's Day & More
Ready to start shopping again? Tired of cooking? This week’s “We’re Open!” Guide is brimming with gifts, clothes and other great stuff that can be picked up or delivered in plenty of time for Mother’s Day. Looking to clean and declutter? We’ve got options for that too. And of course, don’t forget our great list of where to order food.
- Joyful Bath Co., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call 301-986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- The Blue House, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. Windowshop us: 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: 301-656-6088. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. thebluehousebethesda.com.
- The Cottage Monet, the perfect gifts for you and yours. Soon to reopen at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave.. Now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. For Mother’s Day, free hand lotion with all Vietri vases. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: 301-279-2422. Website: cottagemonet.com.
- Hanna’s Connection clothing boutique. Refresh your closet. Refresh your mood. Soon to reopen at the Cabin John mini-mall, now offering virtual shopping and online orders with free delivery. We carry designer face masks, free with purchase. Call us: 301- 704-0264. Shop Facebookor Shop Instagram.
- On Cloud 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults. Offering virtual shopping & online orders. We deliver by mail, drop off in a 10-mile radius, or you can pick up curbside by our Potomac Woods Plaza store. 20% off everything right now. Call 301-251-1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R Boutique, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Free delivery for Mother’s Day within a 10-mile radius. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, 301-943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- Scout & Molly’s Boutique, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Surprise mom with a fun Mother’s Day delivery from Scout & Molly’s! Shop online or contact us for a virtual shopping experience. 25% off your purchase (use LOVEMOM code) with free shipping, curbside pickup or local delivery. Also check our Instagram for weekly giveaways. Call us: 301-348-5047. Shop: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- Brooklyn’s Deli, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza. 1089 Seven Locks Road. Brooklyn’s Deli would like to thank Eagle Bank for getting us through this extremely rough time. Open daily for carry-out & catering. Phone: 301-340-3354. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- California Tortilla, a family fave. Potomac, Bethesda, Olney and Quince Orchard locations open daily 11 a.m.-9 p.m. for carryout, curbside pickup and delivery. Order one of our Family Fajita Fiesta or Family Taco Night meals today! californiatortilla.olo.com/home/.
- Cava Mezze, Greek comfort food. Family meals starting at $50 include kabobs, rice, salad, sandwiches & more. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with multiple apps, or 10% off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 309-9090. cavamezze.com.
- Downtown Crown online services, restaurant takeout and delivery options at Sam Eig Highway and Fields Road, Gaithersburg. Whatever you’re craving, you’ll find it here. For a complete list of what’s available now, visit ShopDowntownCrown.com.
- Gregorio’s Trattoria, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village. 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-296-6168. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Carry-out, curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery available. All wine and beer 1/2 off. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- Gyroland casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: https://gyrolandmd.com/
- Hunter’s Bar and Grill, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: 301-299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, or choose no-contact curbside carryout. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- Julii, comfort food + market goods. $30 family meals, sandwiches, Chef D’s favorite dishes plus toilet paper, paper towels & flour. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with UberEats, or 10 percent off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 517-9090. julii.com.
- Lahinch Tavern and Grill, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. Featuring a daily menu with family-style dining options. Offering delivery, carry-out and curbside pickup. 1/2 off beer and wine to go, mixed drinks to go at happy hour prices. Stop by and say hi! Call: 240-499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- Metro Microgreens, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email email@example.com or call 301-706-4884. Website: metromicrogreens.com.
- Moby Dick Kabobs, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 240-660-2626. Rockville location: 301-738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery and curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- Mykonos Grill, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Carry-out & free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum. Mother’s Day menu features Greek Taverna salad, baklava & entrée options including lamb shank, rockfish, vegetarian or combo platter. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call 301-770-5999. Menu: https://mykonosgrill.com/
- Normandie Farm, pop on over for fine cooking in Potomac. 10710 Falls Road. Phone: 301-983-8838. Open for carry-out service. Full menu, Mother’s Day specials, popovers & jam to go: popovers.com.
- Potomac Pizza, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 301-299-7700. Traville location: 301-279-2234. Chevy Chase location: 301-951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- Sisters Thai Potomac, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- The Grilled Oyster Co., fine dining at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-9888. Limited menu, beer and wine for carry-out & delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- Yekta Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Restaurant open Tuesday-Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call 301-984-0005. Market open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday with curbside pickup. Email email@example.com or call 301-984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
BEER, WINE & COFFEE
- Quartermaine Coffee Roasters, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call 301-718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- Talbert’s Ice & Beverage Service, beer & wine delivery. 5234 River Road. Phone: 301-652-3000. Open for walk-ins and as always, delivering beer & wine throughout MoCo, plus ice, sodas & mixers to the DMV. talbertsice.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- Austyn Parker, fun jewelry for kids and cute clothes for moms. Now offering make-your-own jewelry kits and online parties where everyone works on a project together. We have great mom/daughter options for Mother’s Day. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas and party planning, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Game Gym, now offering online esports afternoon classes and full-week online camps for all ages and skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills and physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/
- International School of Music, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- My Gym Live! age-appropriate fun for all the kids. Live interactive 30-minute kids’ fitness classes filled with song, dance, gymnastics, sports and more. Our gyms may be closed, but we’re bringing all the fun you expect from My Gym directly into your house. Now offering My Gym Live! birthday parties. More info here: mygym.com/potomac.
- iSoldIt, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: 301-990-2040. Email us: email@example.com. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- Normandy Carpet, excellence in carpet, rug & upholstery cleaning & installation. We’re essential & here to serve you. Spilled wine on your carpet? Dog peed in the house? Flooding from the rain? We follow CDC safety guidelines, and our cleaning method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call 301-741-2005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. www.normandycarpet.com.