Italian food for Pike & Rose
If there’s one type of cuisine that Pike & Rose has lacked, it’s Italian. That will change this fall, when D.C. chef Matthew Adler brings a major transformation to Owen’s Ordinary. Adler is partnering with Neighborhood Restaurant Group to split the six-year-old space into two different concepts: The outside will continue to showcase beer and pub fare under the new name Owen’s Tavern and Garden, while the inside will transform into a traditional Italian restaurant called Caruso’s Grocery. Adler, who operates another Caruso’s in D.C., says he’ll focus on steaks, chops, pasta and “some fun new/old dishes” like chicken scarpariello and veal saltimbocca. Also: $10 cocktails and affordable wines. Adler is also updating the Owen’s menu, cooking up some new recipes for burgers, chili, chicken wings, French bread pizza and “Italian nachos.”
Open your eyes: Warby Parker's here
In other Pike & Rose news, Warby Parker opens its doors this Sunday (July 10th) between Summer House and Call Your Mother, near the recently opened South Block. Warby Parker is the second eyeglass store to join the lineup at Pike & Rose this summer, following last month’s debut of LensCrafters. Unlike the older Warby Parker store in downtown Bethesda, this location will have an on-site optometrist.
Who's in, who's out at the mall
This week we’ve got several comings and goings to report on the Westfield Montgomery mall food scene. Suki Hana, the successor to the Sarku sushi kiosk, is now open for business in the center of the Dining Terrace. Meanwhile, we’ve seen the last of Jamaican eatery Ya Mon, which opened last year next to Chick-fil-A. And ice cream shop Moorenko’s has called it quits after two years across from the Lego store. “We were very sad to leave the mall, but traffic just did not support the cost of being there,” says owner Susan Soorenko. With the loss of Moorenko’s and the 2020 departure of Cold Stone Creamery, Häagen-Dazs is now the only place at the mall to grab an ice cream.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide to some of our favorite local businesses
This week we welcome Rockville’s Miracle Thai Massage Stretch & Spa to the Store Reporter Guide. Owner Mint Royalty and her staff are trained in a variety of modalities that can help with stretching, flexibility and pain relief as well as relaxation. Scroll down for more in this week’s Store Reporter Guide.
FITNESS, HEALTH & BEAUTY
- MIRACLE THAI MASSAGE STRETCH & SPA: Professional massage for relaxation, stretching, flexibility & healing sports injuries. Our masseuses are trained in a variety of modalities: Swedish massage, deep tissue massage, head massage, foot reflexology & Thai massage featuring ancient techniques like acupressure, myofascial release & walking on the back. We’re conveniently located in a Rockville medical office building: 3202 Tower Oaks Blvd., Suite 180. Call (240) 551-8993 or visit miraclethaimassagespa.com.
- MODA OPTIC: Celebrating 14 years of framing your faces in Rockville. What a journey it’s been — and cheers to another 14! We are fully committed to a future of bold, beautiful optical designs and supercharged technology for all your optical needs. Make an appointment today! 130 Rollins Ave. Call us: (301) 881-9444. Website: www.modaoptic.net.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. All trainers are vaccinated. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS is one of MoCo’s leading providers of Invisalign. Drs. Richard & Debra Shin, board-certified orthodontists, are also experts in traditional braces, lingual braces such as InBrace, Brius, & 3D-printed braces such as Lightforce that best suit your lifestyle. We treat teens, adults & kids at two convenient locations: 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville & the Cabin John mini-mall in Potomac. Call for a free consultation: (301) 750-6699. Text us: (301) 812-3011. Website: shinorthodontics.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
- THE GLOSSARY NAIL SPA: The newest salon at Cabin John Village, offering manicure, pedicures & waxing. You’ll find us right next to My Eye Dr. We use the highest quality products and never re-use materials, so everything is fresh for you. Walk-ins welcome, but weekends are busy so it’s best to make an appointment. Call us: (240) 660-2192. Website: glossarynailspa.com.
- TOTALLY POLISHED at the Cabin John mini-mall, walk in or call (301) 299-3672. Serving the Potomac community for more than 30 years. From gel manicures & dip manicures to signature pedicures & waxing, we do it all. We take great care with sanitation, including disposable pedicure tools & liners. Check out our work on Facebook & Instagram. We’re open 7 days a week. Stop by to enjoy a relaxing day!
- WINK EYECARE BOUTIQUE: Dr. Rachel Cohn & her talented team of opticians will make sure you always look & see your best. We offer high-tech eye exams & assessments, plus trending frames from designers like Robert Marc, Oliver Peoples & Anne et Valentin. We’ll monitor the health of your eyes & can assist with dry eyes, allergies, contact lenses & more. We are all vaccinated, & have state-of-the-art air & UV light filters. Find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1095 Seven Locks Road. Call (301) 545-1111. Website: wink.net.
SELLING YOUR JEWELRY
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: We can help you settle any estate. Get full value for all precious metal items: gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware & silver serving pieces. We’ll do an in-home appointment — no obligation — to evaluate your items. Call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
KIDS & TEENS
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What are your kids doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2022! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email email@example.com.