Amazon heads to Shady Grove
The Office Depot on Shady Grove Road is closing its doors to make room for something new: an Amazon Fresh supermarket where you can walk in, fill up your cart and exit the store in minutes. The e-commerce behemoth hasn’t confirmed anything yet, but the Washington Business Journal reports that all signs point to Amazon as the new tenant. So what exactly is an Amazon Fresh store? Unlike Amazon’s Whole Foods chain, this new concept promises a wider range of price points and a completely tech-assisted shopping experience. The store will be full of devices that can read your Alexa-created grocery list, map out your route and guide you to all the right aisles. When you’re ready to leave, your Amazon app will total your purchases and automatically charge your card. No need to stand in line, no need to interact with a human, and perhaps no need to enter the store at all: Amazon Fresh also offers curbside pickup and same-day delivery for Prime members.
Pike & Rose dog park dragging its tail
Behold the future home of Bark Social, the Pike & Rose dog park that’s finally getting started in the empty lot across from Pinstripes. The park originally was expected to be up and running by now, but the project got delayed and owners tell us they’re now hoping to open around Thanksgiving. Plans call for an indoor/outdoor bar with craft beer, coffee and WiFi, plus baked goods from Lil’ Cakes and Creamery. Humans can visit for free, but four-legged guests will require a membership or a day pass. Once inside, all pups will be able to roam off-leash and have their poop scooped by Bark Social staffers. For a peek at what this place will look like, check out Store Reporter on Facebook and Instagram. For more scoop on the Pike & Rose restaurant scene, click here.
Time for another gym bankruptcy
The Washington Sports Club chain has filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy, but the North Bethesda location is staying open along with five others in the D.C. area. Sales of home exercise equipment continue to be off the charts, but the pandemic has been tough on gyms: Gold’s Gym and 24 Hour Fitness are also in Chapter 11.
Bed Bath & Beyond: Which store is closing?
As we predicted back in July, Bed Bath & Beyond has announced plans to close its store in Gaithersburg but will continue to operate the one on Rockville Pike. The struggling retailer is shuttering some 200 stores by the end of this year — including some from sister chains like Buy Buy Baby and World Market.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
THIS WEEK’S UPDATES: Looking to treat yourself or someone you love? Check out our Shop Local section for inspiration and a chance to support small businesses. Stores like Gym & Tonic, Hanna’s Connection, Karen’s Rocks and Rags, My Best Friend’s Closet and Scout & Molly’s are all locally owned and brimming with great stuff that can’t be found at the mall. Austyn Parker, a local online business, has tons of fun ideas that bring kids, moms and grandmas together. And Joyful Bath Co. in Bethesda is perfect for small indulgences (like the bath bombs pictured above). Scroll down for the full list.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel. Whether you’re working out or working from home, we have the casual comfortable looks you want right now — plus lots of different style of masks, from tie-dye to camo! Now open for in-person shopping Monday-Saturday 12-4 p.m., and we’re always sanitizing for the safest possible experience. Prefer to shop from home? DM us for virtual visits & delivery in the DMV. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, inside the Cabin John mini-mall. All new loungewear and cozy, comfy fashions from $49-$99. Don’t miss our closeout sales: $10-$49 on your favorite brands. Free designer face masks with your purchase. Ask about virtual shopping and one-on-one appointments. Curbside pickup & shipping on orders over $50. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, women’s boutique with on-trend, affordable clothing & accessories. 212 Main Street, Gaithersburg. Now accepting luxury designer bags on consignment for a 50/50 split. Check out our $10 face masks, $10 racks & 50% off tons of merchandise — plus pre-fall items on sale now. Open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Phone: (240) 631-2565. eBay store: ebay.com/str/karensrocksandrags.
- MY BEST FRIEND’S CLOSET, a fun & exciting shopping experience with the best selection of junior, young contemporary & women’s clothing at very reasonable price points. 9735 Traville Gateway Drive, Rockville. We receive new merchandise daily, so stop in often to find fun pieces to add to your wardrobe. Don’t miss our very popular $10 racks. Open Monday-Saturday noon to 4 p.m., with private appointments on Sunday. Shop Instagram. Call (301) 340-3233. Website: mybffcloset.com
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We have tons of new fall arrivals. Check out our chic new Italian lines, unique jewelry items, messenger bags with guitar straps & fun comfy joggers. Click here for new face mask colors & styles. Shop Instagram. Shop Facebook. We will continue to offer curbside pickup, so feel free to shop online or call us at (301) 348-5047 to help with your shopping needs! Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
FITNESS & WELLNESS
- POTOMAC PHYSICAL THERAPY & REHAB, PT in the comfort & convenience of your home or office. We treat patients from birth to adulthood for sports injuries, postpartum recovery, orthopedic & neurologic conditions, pediatric disorders, chronic & acute pain, headache & concussions, oncology rehab & more. Our Covid precautions include masks for clinician & patient, hand & equipment sanitizing, option for outdoor or garage sessions. More info: email@example.com or www.potomacptandrehab.com.
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, private sessions for fitness & medical exercise. Bring a friend or family member: We can accommodate up to four people for small-group training in our studio at 152 Rollins Avenue, Suite 208. We also offer meal planning, wellness coaching & Zoom sessions. We require masks & gloves during the session, and we sanitize both the air and the equipment between clients. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- BACKYARDMITZVAH.ORG: Celebrating your Jewish lifecycle events with joy and meaning, as close as your backyard. Don’t postpone that special day you’ve been waiting for. Our rabbi and cantors will officiate your bar or bat mitzvah, wedding or baby naming — outdoors and on Zoom, so your guests can safely share every moment. To learn more, call (240) 994-3566; email email@example.com; or visit backyardmitzvah.org.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- CARD ON YOUR YARD is here to help you celebrate any occasion! Our locally owned business serves Potomac, Rockville, Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Kensington, D.C. & Silver Spring. Starting at just $85, our pricing can’t be beat. We love to customize! Check out our unique designer graphics, & visit us on Facebook & Instagram. To plan the fun, call Lisa at (202) 246-5558 or email email@example.com. Website: cardonyouryardbethesda.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your fall events now; private shopping appointments are available throughout the summer. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email email@example.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. We teach piano, guitar, voice, violin, viola, cello, flute, drums, saxophone, clarinet, harp, recorder, trumpet, trombone, bassoon, ensembles early childhood music & performances. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups & age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends & still social distance. Also introducing pod play dates! We come to your backyard. We’re still offering interactive live Zoom classes & birthday parties. And we’ve opened the Potomac location for small group indoor playdates & small three-hour camps. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
- LAW OFFICES OF LLOYD A. MALECH, Bethesda family law attorney. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support and alimony battles, enforcing and modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, and settlement agreements. Call us: (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS — Drs. Debra and Richard Shin believe everyone should be able to afford an amazing smile. We offer Invisalign and Invisalign Teen, clear braces or traditional metal braces, and lingual braces. All PPO insurance plans accepted. Free consultations and custom financial plans with no large payments or hidden fees. Cabin John mini-mall and 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville. Call 301-770-7770. Website: shinorthodontics.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email email@example.com; or visit freemansauction.com/specialists/debrah-dunner.
- ISI FURNISH, lightly used furnishings & decor at a fraction of the cost. Our white-glove service makes it easy to sell your fine furniture discreetly & professionally. If you’re looking to buy, we offer a wide range of affordable luxury furnishings to match your design and budget. Call us: (971) 337-4403. Shop with us for new items every week: isifurnish.com.
- ISOLDIT, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: (301) 990-2040. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- STX GOLD — turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes from scratch, cheese blintzes & more — plus artisan bagels from Bethesda Bagels. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating & limited indoor seating now open for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu and weekly specials, plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy our patio for outdoor dining plus limited seating indoors. Reservations recommended. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. New menu featuring split grilled bangers, Guinness-battered fish & chips, corned beef & cabbage, shepherd’s pie, chops, steaks & sandwiches. Discounted beer and wine to go. Delivery, carry-out, curbside pickup or enjoy outdoor dining in our new socially distanced patio & have a cocktail at our new outdoor bar. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Eighteen varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email email@example.com or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery, curbside pickup & limited indoor seating, plus outdoor dining at Fallsgrove. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Also offering outdoor dining plus limited seating in our newly redesigned dining room. Offering your favorite waffles, beef bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- OFF THE HOOK CATERING: The team behind the Go Fish food truck, now offering seafood pickup & delivery every Friday. Lobster rolls, lobster meat with butter, ready-to-cook crab cakes, creamy crab soup, fish & shrimp taco kits, weekly chicken & salmon specials, garlic-roasted green beans, corn bread, Mexi-slaw, fresh-baked cookies & much more. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Menu: offthehookcatering.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Sunday with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup and patio dining at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our new $78 Clambake: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw, complete with checked tablecloth. Call (301) 299-9888 or email email@example.com to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.