Goodbye Loft, hello J.Crew at Congressional
Great news for preppies who appreciate a bargain: J.Crew is bringing one of its Factory stores to Rockville’s Congressional Plaza. Factory stores, like the one at Clarksburg Premium Outlets, carry their own line of J.Crew merchandise — typically with less expensive fabrics, less precise tailoring and substantially lower prices. Doors are expected to open this summer. In other Congressional Plaza news: Say goodbye to the Loft store, which closed this week. Loft’s parent company, which also owns Ann Taylor, has been in bankruptcy for the past two years.
Demolition begins at Cabin John
You wouldn’t know it unless you drive around the back, but Cabin John Village has finally started working on the long-planned cut-through between CVS and Giant. The storefronts that once belonged to China Gourmet Bistro, Grilled Oyster, Capital One Bank and Breadsmith are all slated for demolition, to be replaced by a walkable, driveable corridor lined with new stores and restaurants. What else is on the way to Cabin John? French bakery Boulangerie Christophe (more here); D.C.-based The Pretzel Bakery (more here); and possibly Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream (more here). More news on what’s coming — and what’s going — in the next few weeks.
Tapas at the Square
Two new restaurants just opened their doors at Rockville Town Square. Hopes are especially high for El Mercat Bar de Tapas, a showcase for Spanish cuisine on Gibbs Street across from First Watch. This is a notoriously difficult space that’s been home to everything from Bobby’s Crabcakes and Ev & Maddy’s to Lab Cafe and Gumbo Ya Ya. But this new venture may have the right recipe for success: It’s headed by acclaimed chef George Rodrigues, previously with the D.C. restaurant Boqueria. Also new at Rockville Town Square is MaLa Canteen, serving Chinese street food in the former Friendship BBQ space on Maryland Avenue. Meanwhile, a few doors down, Mr. Smoothie has finally gone dark.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
It’s definitely too cold to sit outside, but the restaurants in our Store Reporter Guide offer takeout, delivery and no-contact curbside pickup.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes, cheese blintzes, bagels & more — all made from scratch. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering, indoor dining & plenty of patio seating. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- COLADA SHOP POTOMAC: Voted Best All-Day Drinks by Bethesda Magazine. Check out our new menu items including our Salmon Citrus & Havana Caesar salads! Looking for happy hour specials? Our Mojitos are now $7 all day every day! Plus students now get 10% off when they show their student ID! Phone: (240) 332-8870. Learn more at www.coladashop.com.
- FILICORI ZECCHINI PARK POTOMAC: Authentic Italian coffee, from Bologna to Potomac. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, baked goods, snacks, gelato, coffee & tea, with a passion for quality since 1919. We also offer coffee beans & espresso blends, so your favorite coffee can accompany you everywhere. 12430 Park Potomac Ave. Phone: (301) 444-4417.
- FISH TACO: Let’s catch up! We are family-owned and we source our food seasonally, sustainably & locally. We take pride in using the highest quality ingredients to bring our guests delicious, hand-crafted meals & empower them to connect with what’s important in life. We offer our famous fish tacos, as well as an assortment of Baja-inspired favorites. Visit us at multiple area locations, or order online at www.fishtacoonline.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Full menu and weekly specials featuring pizzas, pastas, seafood, meats, salads & more. Open indoors & outdoors for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Call for catering: (800) 749-8894. Menu for all locations: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, charming & cozy pub at Cabin John Village, serving regional American cuisine with an Irish twist. We’ve got a fireplace, two bars, a wood-burning grill, open kitchen & large-screen TVs, plus outdoor dining with garage doors that open in fair weather. Live music five nights a week, weekday lunch deals, happy hour, weekend brunch & late-night menu. Call us: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for dine-in, carry-out, delivery & curbside pickup. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- PICCOLI PIATTI PIZZERIA: Authentic. Neapolitan. Greatness. We use high-quality imported Italian flour & tomatoes, locally sourced meats, organic produce & spectacular domestic cheeses to create exceptional, affordable dishes that please the whole family. Our pizza is crafted to order in the classic Neapolitan style & finished in our 900-degree brick oven. Great pastas, small plates & lunch sandwiches too! 10257 Old Georgetown Road in the Wildwood center. Call us: (240) 858-6099. Order online: piccolipiattipizzeria.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Dine with us or choose contact-free delivery, curbside pickup or takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee & more. We’ve got French press & Chemex brewers, grinders, mugs, travel tumblers, samples, gift cards & more. Need coffee for an event? Call the Bethesda store & order our Joe to Go: (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- QUINCY’S POTOMAC BAR & GRILLE, at Potomac Woods Plaza off Montrose & Seven Locks. Twenty beers on tap & American bar fare: hand-cut sirloins, filets & ribeyes; fried chicken, grilled chicken kabobs, lamb lollipops, fajitas & more. We host trivia night on Mondays, karaoke on Tuesdays, bingo on Wednesdays, Family Feud on Thursdays. Visit us during football to watch every college & NFL game on our 30+ indoor & outdoor TVs. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 500-3010. Menu: quincyspotomac.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $40 and up, per person per night. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- RUSTIC ROUTE COFFEE: Small-batch roaster near Sugarloaf Mountain, delivering to your door. Our coffee is fairly sourced, chemical-free, roasted in the Ag Reserve, custom-packed & sent to you in small batches — all at a price you can afford. Need a gift? Ask about our coffee subscriptions. Email email@example.com. Website: rusticroutecoffee.com.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + drinks & desserts. Indoor & patio dining with a funky, charming decor at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Try our chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & much more. We’re also known for our Instagrammable desserts, cocktails, teas, fruit drinks & specialty lattes. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE BOTTLE SHOP WINE & BEER: Exceptional wine, craft beer & artisan snacks — chilled & ready to go — to make your evenings special. You’ll find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 350 Fortune Terr., around the corner from Park Potomac (Montrose & Seven Locks). Check our weekly wine & beer discounts on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Call us: (301) 738-9463. Website: mybottleshop.net.
- WINTERGREEN PLAZA has the stores, restaurants & services businesses you need — all in one place, with free & easy parking. Besides Food Lion, Classic Beer & Wine, Dunkin’ and Starbucks, this is the home of Chipotle, Habit Burger, Jersey Mike’s, Mission BBQ, Niwano Hana, Paisano’s Pizza, Sweet Frog, Ten Ren Tea Ginseng, The Halal Guys & Wingstop. Also: salons, professional practices, Bray & Scarff, The UPS Store, Pure Hockey, Rockville Soccer, TennisTopia & much more. For a full list, click here.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JAMIE KRAMER EVENTS is dedicated to crafting authentic, memorable & customized experiences for private & corporate events. Celebrations & milestones, conferences & board meetings, team building, corporate retreats, networking & more. Whether you’re ready for an in-person event or still prefer virtual, we promise to make it unforgettable. Check us out on Instagram & Facebook, and email email@example.com to start planning. Website: jamiekramerevents.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party), recitals, graduations, cotillion & other special occasions. Our clothes are fashionable, well-made, well-priced, age-appropriate — and not typically found in department stores. Now booking private shopping appointments for fall events! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FITNESS, HEALTH & BEAUTY
- MODA OPTIC: Celebrating 14 years of framing your faces in Rockville. What a journey it’s been — and cheers to another 14! We are fully committed to a future of bold, beautiful optical designs and supercharged technology for all your optical needs. Make an appointment today! 130 Rollins Ave. Call us: (301) 881-9444. Website: www.modaoptic.net.
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email email@example.com or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. Trainers are vaccinated! Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS is one of MoCo’s leading providers of Invisalign. Drs. Richard & Debra Shin, board-certified orthodontists, are also experts in traditional braces, lingual braces such as InBrace, Brius, & 3D-printed braces such as Lightforce that best suit your lifestyle. We treat teens, adults & kids at two convenient locations: 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville & the Cabin John mini-mall in Potomac. Call for a free consultation: (301) 750-6699. Text us: (301) 812-3011. Website: shinorthodontics.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
- THE GLOSSARY NAIL SPA: The newest salon at Cabin John Village, offering manicure, pedicures & waxing. You’ll find us right next to My Eye Dr. We use the highest quality products and never re-use materials, so everything is fresh for you. Walk-ins welcome, but weekends are busy so it’s best to make an appointment. Call us: (240) 660-2192. Website: glossarynailspa.com.
- TOTALLY POLISHED at the Cabin John mini-mall, walk in or call (301) 299-3672. Serving the Potomac community for more than 30 years. From gel manicures & dip manicures to signature pedicures & waxing, we do it all. We take great care with sanitation, including disposable pedicure tools & liners. Check out our work on Facebook & Instagram. We’re open 7 days a week. Stop by to enjoy a relaxing day!
- WINK EYECARE BOUTIQUE: Dr. Rachel Cohn & her talented team of opticians will make sure you always look & see your best. We offer high-tech eye exams & assessments, plus trending frames from designers like Robert Marc, Oliver Peoples & Anne et Valentin. We’ll monitor the health of your eyes & can assist with dry eyes, allergies, contact lenses & more. We are all vaccinated, & have state-of-the-art air & UV light filters. Find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1095 Seven Locks Road. Call (301) 545-1111. Website: wink.net.
- ZOHRA: Refresh your look in our private salon suites, and get full professional advice on how to start the new year with style! Find us at Park Potomac, 12430 Park Potomac Ave. For your convenience, go to zohrasalon.com or call (301) 299-3100.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MALECH LAW, Bethesda family law practitioner. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support & alimony battles, enforcing & modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, & settlement agreements. Call Lloyd Malech at (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com. Family law, reenvisioned.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, commercial, residential & emergency. Lock repair & replacement, re-key services, touchscreen locks & high-security locks. Now offering security cameras, video doorbells & monitored security systems accessible on any device, so you can talk to visitors & unlock doors remotely. All at a low monthly fee. Labor & materials guaranteed for as long as you own your home. Appointments & after-hour emergencies: (240) 506-7500. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- SIGNS ON THE MOVE: Our Smart Cars equipped with three-sided signs are visible from every angle – and most importantly, memorable to customers. Got a business or professional practice that you want to promote? Three lifelong MoCo residents have launched an exciting, effective & affordable way to get your local advertising message front & center. Reach thousands of people daily, with packages starting at just $999 per month. Call (301) 245-7700. Website: www.signsonthemove.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION: America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email email@example.com; or visit freemansauction.com/directory/debrah-dunner.
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: Turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
KIDS & TEENS
- COLLEGE MONEY SMART: Paying for college on your mind? Don’t let college costs derail your financial life. Take control of your college financial planning to lower your costs, avoid excessive debt and protect your family’s future. When you know more, you won’t owe more! Call (301) 841-8727 or email Taren Coleman at email@example.com. Website: collegemoneysmart.com.
- PREP 1ON1 ACT/SAT TUTORING: Personalized tutoring plans created specifically for your student’s needs. Our highly trained tutors will prepare your student for the ACTs, SATs and PSATs, including mock tests to help get them ready for the real thing. Not sure which test is best? Our complimentary diagnostic tests will help you decide. Instruction is online or in-person at Cabin John Village, Suite 207. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call (240) 621-7225. Website: prep1on1.com.
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What will your kids be doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2022! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email email@example.com.
- AUSTYN PARKER, your one-stop boutique for women’s & children’s clothing & accessories. Looking for edgy basics that you can wear day or night? We have your favorite brands: Generation Love, Michael Lauren, Leallo, Lisa Todd, The Great & Jocelyn. And we have your kids’ favorites too: Flowers by Zoe, Fairwell, Stoopher & Tiny Whales. Check out our new boutique in Bethesda! Shop Facebook, Shop Instagram. Call us: (301) 706-8122. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: austynparker.com.
- GLITTER ENTHUSIAST: Rockville artist Jamie Kushner Blicher creates dazzling abstract art inspired by her journey through IVF treatment. Digital artist Ashley Fisher helps turn these colorful, joyful designs into paintings, prints, nursery & kids’ room decor, acrylic trays, tote bags, headbands, masks & more. We also create custom pieces to fit your home & your personal story. Check us out on Good Morning America. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Website: glitterenthusiast.com/collections.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, upstairs inside the Cabin John mini-mall. Stay cozy with hats, wraps, accessories & more! Always hassle-free shopping. Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. Curbside pickup & shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: Your Valentine’s Day pampering headquarters! We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels & custom baskets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, and we’re open for in-person shopping: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320 . Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Lots of new Valentine’s Day styles & gift ideas! Also, check out our winter Clearance Sale currently underway – 50% off (click here for Clearance)! Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online, shop in-store or call us: (301) 348-5047. Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.