While many of us were spending spring break in the Big Apple, Westfield Montgomery Mall was busy planning a Big Apple of its own. Insiders tell us the mall’s Apple Store is about to undergo a huge expansion, setting off a major reshuffling of the Macy’s wing that involves Teavana, Sephora, BCBG and possibly Kay Jewelers. Neither Apple nor mall officials would confirm anything just yet, but we hear the spring shuffle is already a done deal — and we couldn’t wait until Thursday to tell you. Here’s a rundown of what’s ahead:
- The Apple Store will take over the space currently occupied by its next-door neighbor, Teavana, as well as the storefront where BCBG just closed. If you have any Apple items that need attention, you’d better move quickly: We’re told that the store will be closed during the renovation, which could begin as soon as next week. The bigger and better Apple Store will make its debut this fall.
- Teavana will close its doors as the Apple expansion begins, with plans to return in late summer with a new store just across the aisle. There’s plenty of available space in that section of the Macy’s wing, where Hollister recently closed and Abercrombie & Fitch moved downstairs. When Teavana does reopen, it will face a formidable new competitor: Canadian retailer David’s Tea is about to open just around the corner.
- Sephora also is moving across the aisle to a larger space that’s expected to be ready by August. But Sephora fans can relax: Unlike its neighbors, we hear the glam makeup store will remain open at its current location until moving day arrives.
- BCBG Max Azria has closed to make way for Apple’s expansion — and it appears the fashion retailer won’t be coming back.
- Kay Jewelers, which occupies what will soon be a prime corner next to Sephora and Teavana, is tentatively scheduled to relocate this summer to the onetime Caché space next to Swarovski. No word yet on who might take over Kay’s corner… but we won’t be surprised if it’s a big name.
Pair these changes with last month’s news about the addition of a Lucky Strike Social bowling alley, and it looks like this will be quite a fall for our local mall.
[…] the hall. For more on this — along with the future of BCBG Max Azria and Kay Jewelers — click here for our April 4 […]
[…] For more on these changes, including the possible move of Kay Jewelers from its prime corner spot, click here for our April 4th special […]
[…] wants to reopen before the holidays. For more on the expansion of Apple and its neighbor Sephora, click here for our April 4th special […]
[…] Sephora has now officially announced what we reported here last month: The glam retailer at Westfield Montgomery Mall is moving across the hall to bigger and better quarters. Promotional signage has been splashed across the second floor of the Macy’s wing, where the existing Sephora store will remain open until the new one debuts this fall. Meanwhile down the hall, the Apple Store still hasn’t confirmed a timeline for its own upcoming expansion. Two adjoining storefronts have been emptied and blocked off for construction, but Apple remains open for the time being. For more on what’s happening in the Macy’s wing — including the recent departures of BCBG and Teavana — click here. […]