Is this the last of Lord & Taylor?
Lord & Taylor bankruptcy rumors started swirling this week after Reuters reported that the retailer plans to liquidate all inventory when its stores reopen. The report has yet to be confirmed, but locals already are speculating about the fate of the White Flint property if Lord & Taylor indeed goes out of business. The venerable department store chain was sold last year to Le Tote, a clothing rental company that had pledged to bring back its elegant reputation. The pandemic, of course, has changed everything. The White Flint Lord & Taylor store, which has been the subject of much litigation over the years, is one of 38 remaining locations nationwide. Stay tuned to Store Reporter for what’s next.
More on the bankruptcy beat
In the current bleak retail landscape, bankruptcies are happening so fast that it’s getting tough to keep up. This week’s Chapter 11 filings include the parent company of J. Crew and Madewell, both of which have a presence at Westfield Montgomery mall. The two chains are expected to survive the bankruptcy process without closing any stores. Gold’s Gym also filed Chapter 11 this week and is planning to reorganize, but 30 of its corporate-owned locations will be closing permanently. This bankruptcy filing does not affect the two Gold’s Gyms at Wintergreen Plaza and Rockville Town Square, both of which are independently owned by franchisees. But we do expect some closings for the Vienna-based Hair Cuttery chain, which also filed Chapter 11 and is now changing hands. All Hair Cuttery locations, along with sister chains Bubbles and Salon Cielo, will be under new ownership by summer. It’s unclear how many of them will reopen.
Game on at Game Gym
With schools closed for the rest of the year and many summer camps already canceled, Rockville-based Game Gym is offering all-new programming “From Home.” The three-year-old esports studio coaches kids and teens in games like League of Legends, Rocket League, Minecraft and Valorant. Even though they can’t be together at Game Gym headquarters right now, owner Josh Hafkin says the transition to online offerings has been smooth — and also surprisingly social, as kids get to know each other while chatting and playing virtually. All Game Gym camps include morning fitness training with live feedback from coaches or special guests, followed by coach-led online gaming in the afternoons. “The main thing for parents to know is that this is an active camp,” Hafkin says. “We have meaningful conversations about hot-button issues, we’re coaching, we’re providing community and life lessons. We’re doing a lot more than just playing games.” Interested in Game Gym’s online programs? To save $20 on afternoon classes: click here and use code REPORTER20. To save $30 on summer camps: click here and use code REPORTER30. Have questions? Email email@example.com.
"We're Open!" on Mother's Day & every day
Mother’s Day will look a little different this year, but we’re here to help you make it special. Shop our local stores and restaurants for quick gift delivery, special Mother’s Day menus and much more. Our “We’re Open!” Guide is adding new businesses every week. Read on for our latest lineup.
- Joyful Bath Co., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call 301-986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- The Blue House, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. Windowshop us: 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: 301-656-6088. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. thebluehousebethesda.com.
- The Cottage Monet, the perfect gifts for you and yours. Soon to reopen at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave.. Now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. For Mother’s Day, free hand lotion with all Vietri vases. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: 301-279-2422. Website: cottagemonet.com.
- Bows Etc., now making face masks with personality for men, women & kids. Your smile may be hidden, but you can still rock fun designs and show off your favorite sports teams & colleges. All our masks are reversible & washable, with three layers of 100% cotton fabric & pocket for an additional filter. Masks are $14 plus $5 shipping, or porch pickup in the Shady Grove area. Shop Facebook or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gym & Tonic, luxury athleisure apparel, now in the comfort of your own home. 20% off all clothes right now. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymantonic on Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- Hanna’s Connection clothing boutique. Refresh your closet. Refresh your mood. Soon to reopen at the Cabin John mini-mall, now offering virtual shopping and online orders with free delivery. We carry designer face masks, free with purchase. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- On Cloud 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults. Offering virtual shopping & online orders. We deliver by mail, drop off in a 10-mile radius, or you can pick up curbside by our Potomac Woods Plaza store. 20% off everything right now. Call 301-251-1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R Boutique, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Free delivery for Mother’s Day within a 10-mile radius. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, 301-943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- Scout & Molly’s Boutique, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Surprise mom with a fun Mother’s Day delivery from Scout & Molly’s! Shop online or contact us for a virtual shopping experience. 25% off your purchase (use LOVEMOM code) with free shipping, curbside pickup or local delivery. Also check our Instagram for weekly giveaways. Call us: 301-348-5047. Shop: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- Brooklyn’s Deli, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza. 1089 Seven Locks Road. Brooklyn’s Deli would like to thank Eagle Bank for getting us through this extremely rough time. Open daily for carry-out & catering. Phone: 301-340-3354. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- Cava Mezze, Greek comfort food. Family meals starting at $50 include kabobs, rice, salad, sandwiches & more. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with multiple apps, or 10% off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 309-9090. Menu: cavamezze.com.
- Downtown Crown online services, restaurant takeout and delivery options at Sam Eig Highway and Fields Road, Gaithersburg. Whatever you’re craving, you’ll find it here. For a complete list of what’s available now, visit ShopDowntownCrown.com.
- Gregorio’s Trattoria, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village. 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-296-6168. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Carry-out, curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery available. All wine and beer 1/2 off. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- Gyroland casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: https://gyrolandmd.com/
- Hunter’s Bar and Grill, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: 301-299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, or choose no-contact curbside carryout. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- Julii, comfort food + market goods. $30 family meals, sandwiches, Chef D’s favorite dishes plus toilet paper, paper towels & flour. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with UberEats, or 10 percent off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 517-9090. Menu: julii.com.
- Lahinch Tavern and Grill, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. Featuring a daily menu with family-style dining options. Offering delivery, carry-out and curbside pickup. 1/2 off beer and wine to go, mixed drinks to go at happy hour prices. Stop by and say hi! Call: 240-499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- Metro Microgreens, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email email@example.com or call 301-706-4884. Website: metromicrogreens.com.
- Moby Dick Kabobs, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 240-660-2626. Rockville location: 301-738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery and curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- Mykonos Grill, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Carry-out & free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum. We also work with the major delivery apps. Specialties include branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call 301-770-5999. Menu: https://mykonosgrill.com/
- Normandie Farm, pop on over for fine cooking in Potomac. 10710 Falls Road. Phone: 301-983-8838. Open for carry-out service. Full menu, Mother’s Day specials, popovers & jam to go: popovers.com.
- Potomac Pizza, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 301-299-7700. Traville location: 301-279-2234. Chevy Chase location: 301-951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- Quartermaine Coffee Roasters, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call 301-718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- Sisters Thai Potomac, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- The Grilled Oyster Co., fine dining at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-9888. Limited menu, beer and wine for carry-out & delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- Yekta Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Restaurant open Tuesday-Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call 301-984-0005. Market open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday with curbside pickup. Email email@example.com or call 301-984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- Austyn Parker, fun jewelry for kids and cute clothes for moms. Now offering make-your-own jewelry kits and online parties where everyone works on a project together. We have great mom/daughter options for Mother’s Day. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas and party planning, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Game Gym, now offering online esports afternoon classes and full-week online camps for all ages and skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills and physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/
- International School of Music, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- My Gym Live! age-appropriate fun for all the kids. Live interactive 30-minute kids’ fitness classes filled with song, dance, gymnastics, sports and more. Our gyms may be closed, but we’re bringing all the fun you expect from My Gym directly into your house. Now offering My Gym Live! birthday parties. More info here: mygym.com/potomac.
- iSoldIt, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: 301-990-2040. Email us: email@example.com. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- Normandy Carpet, excellence in carpet, rug & upholstery cleaning & installation. We’re essential & here to serve you. Spilled wine on your carpet? Dog peed in the house? Flooding from the rain? We follow CDC safety guidelines, and our cleaning method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call 301-741-2005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. www.normandycarpet.com.