Last days for Last Call
In another blow to the high-end shopping scene at Rockville’s Congressional Plaza, Neiman Marcus Last Call Studio is permanently closing its doors. The Dallas-based retailer is bucking the discount trend by shuttering most of its Last Call chain to focus on customers who don’t mind paying full price. The Congressional Plaza location has temporarily reopened to sell through its remaining inventory, all of which has been heavily marked down. Last Call’s departure, scheduled for Aug. 15th, comes less than a year after the closing of Saks Off 5th at the other end of Congressional Plaza. For a look at what’s left of Last Call, check out Store Reporter on Facebook and Instagram.
Mooooove over, Häagen-Dazs
This week we have another big scoop on the local ice cream scene: Silver Spring favorite Moorenko’s is heading to Westfield Montgomery mall. Owner Susan Soorenko has signed a lease for the marble-topped kiosk in what used to be the Sears wing, originally built for Peet’s Coffee and most recently home to Cookie Dough & Co. The once-quiet spot will be a whole lot busier when the Lego Store opens its doors right across the hall. “Was this location sent from heaven, or what?” laughs Soorenko, who hopes to be up and running by late July. If you haven’t tried Moorenko’s, she recommends starting with the basics (“We make an amazing strawberry”), and then moving on to specialty flavors like Salted Caramel with Praline, Blackberry Chocolate Chip, and bestsellers Honey Lavender and Fresh Ginger. This isn’t the only new ice creamery headed our way: Check out our July 2 issue for info on Sarah’s Handmade Ice Cream & Treats, now under construction at the Wildwood shopping center.
The future of Sur La Table
High-end kitchen retailer Sur La Table filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week, announcing plans to close about half of its 100-plus stores. Luckily for us, the Pike & Rose location is expected to remain open. So is the one at Tysons Galleria. Chevy Chase shoppers aren’t so lucky: That store will be gone by early fall.
Closings in store for Bed Bath & Beyond
Bed Bath & Beyond is also closing stores — about 200 in the next two years, possibly including some locations of sister chain Buy Buy Baby. The company has not announced which stores will be shuttered, but execs say they will rethink all locations that are within 20 miles of each other. That could be bad news for the Bed Bath & Beyond store in Gaithersburg, which is just a short drive away from the one on Rockville Pike. In the meantime, the retailer says its ubiquitous 20%-off coupons are sticking around.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local stores, restaurants and service businesses.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- BOWS ETC. has the face masks that you & your loved ones need plus hair fashions for girls & women. Don’t let social distancing stop you from showing your personality! Our triple-layered masks are 100% cotton, reversible & washable. Shipping or porch pickup available. Loads of colorful patterns & themes: florals, sports, swirls, mah jongg, unicorns, college designs & solids for students returning to school. Visit us: Facebook and Instagram. Call (301) 442-6707. Website: bowsetc.com.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel, now in the comfort of your own home. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, now open at the Cabin John mini-mall. Fully stocked with new styles to fit your lifestyle, free designer face masks with your purchase. Call for a safe, sanitized one-on-one shopping appointment. We still offer virtual shopping and online orders with free limited delivery. Curbside pickup & shipping on orders over $50. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, new & gently used women’s boutique with on-trend, affordable clothing & accessories. 212 Main Street, Gaithersburg. We’re only accepting gently used Lululemon, Golden Goose & luxury designer bags on consignment for a 50/50 split. Check out our $10 face masks, $10 racks & 20% off racks. Open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Phone: (240) 631-2565. eBay store: ebay.com/str/karensrocksandrags.
- ON CLOUD 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults. Now open at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1085 Seven Locks Road. We have your favorite brands like Hard Tail, Katie J NYC, Vintage Havana, Ocean Drive, Suzette & Dori, plus masks in stock for ages 3 to adult. We’re still offering virtual shopping, online orders & curbside pickup, plus private shopping appointments. Call (301) 251-1331 or email email@example.com. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R BOUTIQUE, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, now open inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Tons of casual wear, tie-dye sets, shorts, tank tops, sandals & sneakers. Now offering curbside pickup and free delivery within a 10-mile radius. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, (301) 943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We have tons of new summer arrivals. Click here for new face mask colors & styles. Shop Instagram. Shop Facebook. We will continue to officer curbside pickup, so feel free to shop online or call us at (301) 348-5047 to help with your shopping needs! northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg, and we ship nationwide. thebluehousebethesda.com.
- THE COTTAGE MONET, the perfect gifts for you and yours at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave. We are your go-to for beach house gifts & decor! Check out our summer best-sellers: Vera Bradley face masks with filter pockets ($8) and Corkcicle canteens ($30) with optional straw caps ($10). We’re now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. Website: cottagemonet.com. Email us: email@example.com.
FOOD, DRINKS & MEAL DEALS
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes from scratch, cheese blintzes & more — plus artisan bagels from Bethesda Bagels. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating & limited indoor seating now open for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu and weekly specials, plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- GYROLAND casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Dine-in service, cashless transactions only. Open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, 11 to 9 p.m. Sunday. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: gyroland.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy our patio for outdoor dining plus limited seating indoors. Reservations recommended. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. New menu featuring split grilled bangers, Guinness-battered fish & chips, corned beef & cabbage, shepherd’s pie, chops, steaks & sandwiches. Discounted beer and wine to go. Delivery, carry-out, curbside pickup or enjoy outdoor dining in our new socially distanced patio & have a cocktail at our new outdoor bar. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery, curbside pickup & limited indoor seating, plus outdoor dining at Fallsgrove. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Also offering outdoor dining plus limited seating in our newly redesigned dining room. Offering your favorite waffles, beef bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- MYKONOS GRILL, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Outdoor patio, plus limited indoor dining & carry-out from 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday. Reservations strongly recommended. Cashless transactions only. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum, or use the major delivery apps. Try our branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. Ask about our daily specials. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call (301) 770-5999. Menu: mykonosgrill.com.
- NORMANDIE FARM, pop on over for fine cooking in the heart of Potomac, 10710 Falls Road. Outdoor patio now open, plus limited indoor seating. Full menu service, fine wines & spirits, live music Thursday-Sunday evenings, and of course our famous popovers. Also open for carry-out service. Phone: (301) 983-8838. Menu: popovers.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301)299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our new $78 Clambake: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw, complete with checked tablecloth. Call (301) 299-9888 or email email@example.com to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- GAME GYM, now offering online esports afternoon classes & full-week online camps for all ages & skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills & physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups and age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends and still social distance. Also introducing our new dance and yoga classes outside! We are still offering interactive live Zoom classes and Zoom birthday parties. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- SUNNYDYES AT HOME, mobile tie-dye parties for kids & adults. Let us host an event in your backyard or other open space. You pick the project, we’ll bring the tie-dye and all the supplies. Great for kids’ birthdays, adult happy hours & all kinds of special events. Instagram: @sunnydyesathome. For info, call (301) 461-6400 or email email@example.com.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your fall events now; private shopping appointments are available throughout the summer. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FURNITURE, ART & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. For more info, call (301) 738-0347 or email email@example.com.
- ISI FURNISH, lightly used furnishings & decor at a fraction of the cost. Our white-glove service makes it easy to sell your fine furniture discreetly & professionally. If you’re looking to buy, we offer a wide range of affordable luxury furnishings to match your design and budget. Call us: (971) 337-4403. Shop with us for new items every week: isifurnish.com.
- ISOLDIT, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: (301) 990-2040. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306 or click here.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email email@example.com or click here.
- NORMANDY CARPET, excellence in carpet, rug & upholstery cleaning & installation. We’re essential & here to serve you. Spilled wine on your carpet? Dog peed in the house? Flooding from the rain? We follow CDC safety guidelines, and our cleaning method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call (301) 741-2005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: www.normandycarpet.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600 or click here.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS — Drs. Debra and Richard Shin believe everyone should be able to afford an amazing smile. We offer Invisalign and Invisalign Teen, clear braces or traditional metal braces, and lingual braces. All PPO insurance plans accepted. Free consultations and custom financial plans with no large payments or hidden fees. Cabin John mini-mall and 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville. Call 301-770-7770 or click here.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717 or click here.
Leave a Reply