Shopping won't look like it used to
As we draw closer to the reopening of Montgomery County — date still to be determined — our stores are preparing to welcome back customers to an altered shopping environment. Masks will be de rigueur, of course, with some places handing out gloves and sanitizer. Staffers will be cleaning constantly, enforcing social distancing and limiting traffic in their stores. Bra fittings, makeup testing and other “high-touch” services will no longer be offered. Fitting rooms will be scarce at some stores and closed at others; “try-it-on-at-home” will be the norm. And all that stuff you end up returning? It will have to be quarantined and/or disinfected before going back to the racks. Lastly, forget about bringing cash: A lot of stores will no longer accept it.
Last call for Last Call?
With Neiman Marcus joining the ranks of retailers in Chapter 11, we’re not too optimistic about the future of the Last Call outlet in Rockville. Even before the pandemic caused all department stores to close, the Dallas-based chain had announced plans to shutter most of its Last Call locations. Luxury and high prices are what Neiman Marcus is known for, and Last Call’s discount model had been chipping away at the mystique. At Congressional Plaza, Last Call occupies a massive space next to the new Barnes & Noble and the upcoming “FitRow” gym hub. (You remember gyms, those places where we used to go to work out?)
Is Goldberg's coming back?
Store Reporter readers have been wondering about the fate of the Goldberg’s bagel chain, whose restaurants have remained closed throughout the pandemic. The phone line at Goldberg’s Cabin John location has been disconnected, but owners tell us it’s only temporary and their restaurants will reopen in a couple of weeks. Also expected to make a comeback is longtime favorite Bagel City, which has been dark on Rockville Pike since March. More on that in our April 23rd edition.
While people are home, auctions heat up
With so much of our time spent at home these days, a lot of us are viewing our surroundings with fresh eyes. For some, the moment finally has arrived to fill up those blank walls and empty shelves. For others, now is the time to start selling off unwanted art, jewelry and collectibles. Debrah Dunner, a Potomac-based rep for the auction house Freeman’s, says clients are consigning everything from fine art to jewelry, designer furniture and rare books. “Some of our clients are getting ready to downsize, and some are just looking around and realizing that they don’t need all this stuff in their homes,” she says. And with online auctions making it easier than ever to participate, Dunner says first-time buyers are entering the market at record levels. “No one is going out to dinner or going places right now,” she says. “So instead of collecting experiences, a lot of people are looking to spend money on objects they can own.” Are you thinking of buying, selling or just want to know how much your stuff is worth? Dunner offers free auction estimates via virtual appointments, with easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 738-0347.
"We're Open!" for food, fashion, face masks & more
This week’s guide has even more stores and restaurants that deliver to your doorstep, plus a growing list of kids’ activities and businesses that are currently open to serve you.
- Joyful Bath Co., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call 301-986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- The Blue House, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. Windowshop us: 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: 301-656-6088. Email us: email@example.com. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg. Website: thebluehousebethesda.com.
- The Cottage Monet, the perfect gifts for you and yours. Soon to reopen at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave.. Now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: 301-279-2422. Website: thecottagemonet.com.
- Bows Etc., now making face masks with personality for men, women & kids. Your smile may be hidden, but you can still rock fun designs and show off your favorite sports teams & colleges. All our masks are reversible & washable, with three layers of 100% cotton fabric & pocket for an additional filter. Masks are $14 plus $5 shipping, or porch pickup in the Shady Grove area. Shop Facebook or email email@example.com.
- Gym & Tonic, luxury athleisure apparel, now in the comfort of your own home. 20% off all clothes right now. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymantonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- Hanna’s Connection clothing boutique. Refresh your closet. Refresh your mood. Soon to reopen at the Cabin John mini-mall, now offering virtual shopping and online orders with free delivery. We carry designer face masks, free with purchase. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- On Cloud 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults. Offering virtual shopping & online orders. We deliver by mail, drop off in a 10-mile radius, or you can pick up curbside by our Potomac Woods Plaza store. 20% off everything right now. Call 301-251-1331 or email email@example.com. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R Boutique, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, 301-943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- Scout & Molly’s Boutique, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We’re open from noon to 6 p.m. for curbside pickup. Check out our online Flash Sale Fridays for some fantastic savings! Click here for our super fashionable (leopard, snake, tie dye) face masks. Also check our Instagram for weekly giveaways. Call us: 301-348-5047. Shop: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- Brooklyn’s Deli, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza. 1089 Seven Locks Road. Brooklyn’s Deli would like to thank Eagle Bank for getting us through this extremely rough time. Open daily for carry-out & catering. Phone: 301-340-3354. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- Cava Mezze, Greek comfort food. Family meals starting at $50 include kabobs, rice, salad, sandwiches & more. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with multiple apps, or 10% off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 309-9090. Menu: cavamezze.com.
- Downtown Crown online services, restaurant takeout and delivery options at Sam Eig Highway and Fields Road, Gaithersburg. Whatever you’re craving, you’ll find it here. For a complete list of what’s available now, visit ShopDowntownCrown.com.
- Gregorio’s Trattoria, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village. 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-296-6168. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Carry-out, curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery available. All wine and beer 1/2 off. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- Gyroland casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: https://gyrolandmd.com/
- Hunter’s Bar and Grill, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: 301-299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, or choose no-contact curbside carryout. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- Julii, comfort food + market goods. $30 family meals, sandwiches, Chef D’s favorite dishes plus toilet paper, paper towels & flour. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with UberEats, or 10 percent off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 517-9090. Menu: julii.com.
- Lahinch Tavern and Grill, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. Featuring a daily menu with family-style dining options. Offering delivery, carry-out and curbside pickup. 1/2 off beer and wine to go, mixed drinks to go at happy hour prices. Stop by and say hi! Call: 240-499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- Metro Microgreens, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-706-4884. Website: metromicrogreens.com.
- Moby Dick Kabobs, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 240-660-2626. Rockville location: 301-738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery and curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- Mykonos Grill, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Carry-out & free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum. We also work with the major delivery apps. Specialties include branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call 301-770-5999. Menu: https://mykonosgrill.com/
- Normandie Farm, pop on over for fine cooking in Potomac. 10710 Falls Road. Phone: 301-983-8838. Open for carry-out service. Full menu, popovers & jam to go: popovers.com.
- Potomac Pizza, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 301-299-7700. Traville location: 301-279-2234. Chevy Chase location: 301-951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- Quartermaine Coffee Roasters, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call 301-718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- Sisters Thai Potomac, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- The Grilled Oyster Co., fine dining at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-9888. Limited menu, beer and wine for carry-out & delivery. Email email@example.com to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- Yekta Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Restaurant open Tuesday-Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call 301-984-0005. Market open 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday with curbside pickup. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
FOR THE KIDS
- Austyn Parker, fun jewelry for kids and cute clothes for moms. Now offering make-your-own jewelry kits and online parties where everyone works on a project together. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas and party planning, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- Game Gym, now offering online esports afternoon classes and full-week online camps for all ages and skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills and physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/
- International School of Music, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- My Gym Live! age-appropriate fun for all the kids. Live interactive 30-minute kids’ fitness classes filled with song, dance, gymnastics, sports and more. Our gyms may be closed, but we’re bringing all the fun you expect from My Gym directly into your house. Now offering My Gym Live! birthday parties. More info here: mygym.com/potomac.
- The Story House, a carefully curated selection of books & games for kids & adults. Now selling cotton face masks for men, women & kids. Most are reversible, with two patterns; all have a filter pocket. Shop www.storyhouseonline.com or visit us inside Dawson’s Market at Rockville Town Square. Free shipping on orders over $25, free pick-up at Dawson’s in-store or curbside. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Toy Castle home delivery service. Open for orders 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays & Saturdays. Same-day, no-fee delivery with $35 minimum order. Great outdoor toys & games arriving daily, tons of other items continually re-stocked. Shop for ideas on our Facebook page, call for suggestions and to place your order: (301) 299-0680.
- iSoldIt, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: 301-990-2040. Email us: email@example.com. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- Normandy Carpet, excellence in carpet, rug & upholstery cleaning & installation. We’re essential & here to serve you. Spilled wine on your carpet? Dog peed in the house? Flooding from the rain? We follow CDC safety guidelines, and our cleaning method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call 301-741-2005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. www.normandycarpet.com.