Cabin John pizzeria almost ready to roll
Colony Grill, the Irish-themed pizzeria from Stamford, Connecticut, is firing up its ovens for a late-June opening at Cabin John Village. Construction has taken nearly a year in the former liquor store space on the back side of the Cabin John mini-mall, where the newly created outdoor plaza will also accommodate plenty of patio seating. Colony Grill, founded in the post-Prohibition 1930s, is known for its thin-crust, tavern-style pies topped with hot oil and spicy peppers. The menu is very simple: just traditional pizzas, “salad pizzas” and “breakfast pies.” That’s it. Oh, and a full bar that will be open late every night. Colony Grill will be the first pizzeria to open at Cabin John since Broadway closed in 2021.
Tacos and 100 tequilas in Rockville
Promising new restaurant on the way to downtown Rockville: Tequila Modern Mexican, taking over the former Trapezeria space on North Washington Street. This is a new concept from a family-owned restaurant group that operates Mexican eateries all over the U.S. “Our Rockville restaurant is going to be a mixture of Mexican street food and upscale Mexican dining,” says co-owner Jose Reyes. The bar will stock 100 types of tequila and serve 15 specialty margaritas, he says, along with mojitos, beer and homemade sangria. If all goes well, doors will open in August.
A bargain for Bonobos
Bonobos, the menswear brand known for its well-fitting pants and personalized service, was acquired this week by the Express clothing chain and partner WHP Global. The sale price was $75 million — less than 25 percent of the $310 million that Walmart paid to purchase Bonobos back in 2017. At the time, Walmart was trying to upgrade its image by investing in hip e-commerce brands. But the company later changed course and offloaded almost all of those acquisitions, most recently selling Moosejaw to Dick’s Sporting Goods. Locally, Express and Bonobos both have stores in the Nordstrom wing at Westfield Montgomery mall.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, upstairs inside the Cabin John mini-mall. All new summer arrivals fresh from Paris, Italy & New York! Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. Curbside pickup & shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels & custom baskets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, or visit us in person: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320. Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- LEBONDAY: A lifestyle boutique featuring high-end designer goods without the high-end price tag. Check out our new store at Congressional Plaza, 1643-A Rockville Pike, specializing in designer retail & resale. Join our VIC Club loyalty program — you shop & you save. Follow us on Instagram: @LeBonDay. Phone: (240) 249-5908. Website: lebonday.com.
- LEILA JEWELS is the online address for the jewelry, gifts & Judaica shop you used to love at Cabin John Shopping Center. Since closing the shop a few years ago, owner Deb Shalom has gone virtual with a unique & beautiful selection of everything from gemstones & sterling silver to Murano glass from Venice & Judaica from Alef Bet Jewelry & Joy Stember Studios. Every price point, every occasion. Free shipping for all jewelry & hand-delivery for customers in the Potomac area. Catch us in person Sundays at the Cabin John farm market! Website: leilajewels.com.
- MOSAIQUE DESIGNS: Bethesda artist Shelley Dane blends traditional mosaic techniques with modern designs & resin finishes. She takes custom orders for beautiful, functional serving trays inspired by what’s meaningful to you: your home, your dog, your favorite spot, your favorite photo. Perfect for wedding gifts, anniversaries & milestone birthdays. Check out recent pieces on Instagram. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (301) 367-6735. Website: mosaiquedesigns.com.
- OUR GIFT BIZ: We take gift-giving off your plate & save you time, energy & effort. Shop online at ourgiftbiz.com, or work with our “gift concierges” to create the perfect custom gift. Just let us know your budget and when & where to send the gifts; we’ll take care of the rest. Phone: (240) 406-8701. Website: ourgiftbiz.com.
- SUSAN KOEHN DESIGNS: Where fun shines. Come see our collection of fine jewelry. Classy. Edgy. Timeless. Check out our latest on Facebook & Instagram. Call, text, email or DM for a private appointment at our showroom. Email susankoehndesigns.com. Phone: (301) 704-7605.
BUYING & SELLING JEWELRY
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email email@example.com. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: We can help you settle any estate. Get full value for all precious metal items — gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware & silver serving pieces. We’ll do an in-home appointment, no obligation, to evaluate your items. Call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
CLASSES & EVENTS
- COMING UP AT CABIN JOHN VILLAGE: Weekly farm market, monthly movie nights & kids’ events. Every Sunday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Visit Milk Lady Market in the Plaza for live music, sustainably grown produce, responsibly raised meat, dairy products & artisanal crafts. June 2: Watch Moana outdoors on our big screen in the Plaza. June 5: My Gym for a kids’ music & movement program in the mini-mall atrium. For the full schedule, click here.
- FIBERART STUDIO: “Crafts with Conviviality” is the motto at our studio in Bethesda’s Carderock Springs neighborhood. We’re one of the best-kept secrets in town for unique & creative after-school activities & small-group summer camps. Students age 6 to 99 get a fun introduction to knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, felting & sewing. We also offer birthday parties, workshops & instruction at all levels. Just a few spots left for camp! Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Visit our website for registration. Phone: (240) 600 0170 Website: FiberArt.studio.
KIDS & TEENS
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What are your kids doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2023! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES