Attman's seals the deal at Park Potomac
Say hello to the new home of Attman’s Deli. After three months of negotiations — and just weeks after the closing of Rockville’s Bagel City — the Baltimore-based eatery has signed a lease to take over the onetime Zoës Kitchen space at Park Potomac. Owner Marc Attman, who closed his Cabin John Village location last March, says he’s not concerned about competition from the neighboring Brooklyn’s Deli. “My family has always been surrounded by delis,” Attman says. “Some like vanilla and some like chocolate. I wanted to be near the people who already like us.” Attman is remodeling the Zoës space and adding a generous outdoor seating area, along with an expanded catering operation run by local deli maven Sam Lerner. He says everything will be kicked up a notch at Park Potomac: The sandwiches will be larger, the bagels will be made in-house, the smoked fish will come from New York, and the meats will be brined at the original Attman’s in Baltimore. The menu also will be expanded to include ice cream, gelato and specialty coffees. And Attman says delivery will be handled by his own employees, not third-party apps. “If someone is coming to your door, it will be our people wearing a uniform with gloves. That will give everyone peace of mind.”
Window closes on the Microsoft store
More businesses have returned to Westfield Montgomery since the mall reopened last week, but the Microsoft store won’t be among them. The tech giant has decided to shut down all its retail locations, which offered hands-on demos of Xboxes, Surface tablets and the rest of the Microsoft universe. As we reported last week, a number of stores won’t be returning to the mall; so far, that list include Steve Madden, Bose, Everything But Water and The Art of Shaving. Meanwhile, one new store joined the lineup this week: BeautyBoss, in the old Kneipp space near Macy’s Home, offers permanent makeup and lash extensions. For an update on the mall’s dining scene, read on.
Bye bye Beefsteak
Beefsteak, the veggie-centric restaurant from José Andrés’ ThinkFoodGroup, will not be reopening at Westfield Montgomery mall. In the continuing fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, the company has decided to permanently shutter all D.C.-area Beefsteak restaurants except the one at Foggy Bottom. This makes two confirmed departures from the Dining Terrace since the mall reopened, following last weekend’s closing of the Indian restaurant Mirch Masala. National chains like Chick-fil-A, Chipotle, Cold Stone Creamery and Kung Fu Tea are all back in business at the Dining Terrace, but most of the locally owned restaurants remained closed this week and seating is still off limits. Stay tuned to Store Reporter as we find out who else is coming back… and who isn’t.
New scoops for Wildwood
Opening in late summer at the Wildwood shopping center: Sarah’s Handmade Ice Cream & Treats, a small-batch scoop shop featuring one-of-a-kind flavors like Lavender Honey, Key West Key Lime Pie, Dark & Stormy Rum Raisin, Cherry Blossom Festival and Black Sesame Snickerdoodle. Also: custom cakes and pies, milkshakes, floats, boozy ice cream and fresh-baked cookie ice cream sandwiches. This will be the second location for Sarah’s, a local business that launched last year at Bethesda’s Kenwood Station shopping center. You’ll find it next to the still-closed Le Pain Quotidien, which might not ever reopen. (More on that in our May 28th edition.)
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite locally owned stores, restaurants and service businesses.
FOOD, DRINKS & MEAL DEALS
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes from scratch, cheese blintzes & more — plus artisan bagels from Bethesda Bagels. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating & limited indoor seating now open for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu and weekly specials, plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- GYROLAND casual Greek food, cooked fresh seven days a week. 1701 Rockville Pike in the Shops at Congressional Village, right under the Verizon store. Dine-in service, cashless transactions only. Open 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, 11 to 9 p.m. Sunday. Pork, chicken, beef and lamb gyros, plus mixed grill and vegetarian options. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $30 minimum. 1/2 off all wine with your order. Call us: (301) 816-7829. Menu: gyroland.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy our patio for outdoor dining plus limited seating indoors. Reservations recommended. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. New menu featuring split grilled bangers, Guinness-battered fish & chips, corned beef & cabbage, shepherd’s pie, chops, steaks & sandwiches. Discounted beer and wine to go. Delivery, carry-out, curbside pickup or enjoy outdoor dining in our new socially distanced patio & have a cocktail at our new outdoor bar. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery, curbside pickup & limited indoor seating, plus outdoor dining at Fallsgrove. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Also offering outdoor dining plus limited seating in our newly redesigned dining room. Offering your favorite waffles, beef bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- MYKONOS GRILL, fine Greek dining in Rockville. 121 Congressional Lane. Outdoor patio, plus limited indoor dining & carry-out from 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Friday & Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday. Reservations strongly recommended. Cashless transactions only. Free delivery in a five-mile radius with $50 minimum, or use the major delivery apps. Try our branzino, octopus, lamb chops & vegetarian platters. Ask about our daily specials. 1/2 off wine bottles with carry-out. Call (301) 770-5999. Menu: mykonosgrill.com.
- NORMANDIE FARM, pop on over for fine cooking in the heart of Potomac, 10710 Falls Road. Outdoor patio now open, plus limited indoor seating. Full menu service, fine wines & spirits, live music Thursday-Sunday evenings, and of course our famous popovers. Also open for carry-out service. Phone: (301) 983-8838. Menu: popovers.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301)299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our new $78 Clambake: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw, complete with checked tablecloth. Call (301) 299-9888 or email email@example.com to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel, now in the comfort of your own home. DM us for virtual shopping appointments and delivery in the DMV. Don’t forget to ask about our cute masks with filters. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 340-8800. Text us: (202) 744-0169.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, now open at the Cabin John mini-mall. Fully stocked with new styles to fit your lifestyle, free designer face masks with your purchase. Call for a safe, sanitized one-on-one shopping appointment. We still offer virtual shopping and online orders with free limited delivery. Curbside pickup & shipping on orders over $50. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, new & gently used women’s boutique with on-trend, affordable clothing & accessories. 212 Main Street, Gaithersburg. We’re only accepting gently used Lululemon, Golden Goose & luxury designer bags on consignment for a 50/50 split. Check out our $10 face masks, $10 racks & 20% off racks. Open 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m.- 5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Phone: (240) 631-2565. eBay store: ebay.com/str/karensrocksandrags.
- ON CLOUD 9, trendy boutique for babies, girls and adults. Now open at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1085 Seven Locks Road. We have your favorite brands like Hard Tail, Katie J NYC, Vintage Havana, Ocean Drive, Suzette & Dori, plus masks in stock for ages 3 to adult. We’re still offering virtual shopping, online orders & curbside pickup, plus private shopping appointments. Call (301) 251-1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R BOUTIQUE, a sophisticated & cute clothing store, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Fully stocked with clothing, jewelry & stylish masks. Tons of casual wear, tie-dye sets, shorts, tank tops, sandals & sneakers. Now offering curbside pickup and free delivery within a 10-mile radius. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Or call Rayna Badwey Matz for a Facebook shopping appointment, (301) 943-2000. To purchase masks, visit rboutique.shop.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We have tons of new summer arrivals. Click here for new face mask colors & styles. Shop Instagram. Shop Facebook. We will continue to officer curbside pickup, so feel free to shop online or call us at (301) 348-5047 to help with your shopping needs! northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: email@example.com. Make a Facetime shopping appointment, ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Fast, free delivery from Bethesda to Gaithersburg, and we ship nationwide. thebluehousebethesda.com.
- THE COTTAGE MONET, the perfect gifts for you and yours at Rockville Town Square, 36 Maryland Ave. Check out our Vera Bradley face masks with filter pockets ($8) and Corkcicle canteens with straw caps ($10). Now taking orders by Facebook, Instagram and email. Website: thecottagemonet.com. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FOR THE KIDS
- GAME GYM, now offering online esports afternoon classes & full-week online camps for all ages & skill levels. We provide a healthy balance of gaming, life skills & physical activity. Use code REPORTER20 to save $20 on afternoon classes: https://gamegym.com/game-gym-from-home/. Use code REPORTER30 to save $30 on summer camps: https://gamegym.com/campfromhome/. Questions? Email email@example.com.
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL OF MUSIC, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups and age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends and still social distance. Also introducing our new dance and yoga classes outside! We are still offering interactive live Zoom classes and Zoom birthday parties. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- SUNNYDYES AT HOME, mobile tie-dye parties for kids & adults. Let us host an event in your backyard or other open space. You pick the project, we’ll bring the tie-dye and all the supplies. Great for kids’ birthdays, adult happy hours & all kinds of special events. Instagram: @sunnydyesathome. For info, call (301) 461-6400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- CELEBRATIONSTOYOU, a comprehensive suite of services to enhance your next virtual or live event. Great for weddings, b’nai mitzvahs, birthdays & more. We offer everything from graphic design, video production and video call support to milestone keepsakes and larger-than-life yard signs by our Partyscapes division. 100% contact-less service. Instagram: geoffchesmanvisuals/ and partyscapesdc/ Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (855) 369-5904. Website: celebrationstoyou.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your fall events now; private shopping appointments are available throughout the summer. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FURNITURE, ART & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. For more info, call (301) 738-0347 or email email@example.com.
- ISI FURNISH, lightly used furnishings & decor at a fraction of the cost. Our white-glove service makes it easy to sell your fine furniture discreetly & professionally. If you’re looking to buy, we offer a wide range of affordable luxury furnishings to match your design and budget. Call us: (971) 337-4403. Shop with us for new items every week: isifurnish.com.
- ISOLDIT, the easy way to turn your stuff into cash. We do the work, you cash the check. Get top dollar for your unwanted electronics, music equipment, jewelry, collectibles & furniture. Looking to reduce equipment or inventory for your business? We can help. Call us: (301) 990-2040. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Safety is our priority — no contact, no worries. More info: www.isolditmd.com.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306 or click here.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email email@example.com or click here.
- NORMANDY CARPET, excellence in carpet, rug & upholstery cleaning & installation. We’re essential & here to serve you. Spilled wine on your carpet? Dog peed in the house? Flooding from the rain? We follow CDC safety guidelines, and our cleaning method removes dangerous viruses & bacteria. Call (301) 741-2005 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. More info: www.normandycarpet.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600 or click here.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS — Drs. Debra and Richard Shin believe everyone should be able to afford an amazing smile. We offer Invisalign and Invisalign Teen, clear braces or traditional metal braces, and lingual braces. All PPO insurance plans accepted. Free consultations and custom financial plans with no large payments or hidden fees. Cabin John mini-mall and 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville. Call 301-770-7770 or click here.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717 or click here.