Fancy food for Cabin John
Finally we have some details to share about The Grove, the new restaurant that’s moving into the old Lahinch space at Cabin John Village. Pivoting from the original plan for a beer garden at this location, The Grove will offer a high-end Mediterranean menu blending flavors from Spain, Italy and Greece. At its helm: noted chef Jose Lopez-Picazo, who trained in Madrid and went on to lead several highly acclaimed restaurants in Las Vegas. At The Grove, he’ll be offering new takes on dishes like lamb shank, grilled octopus, tuna tartar, duck breast and Iberico chorizo. Doors are expected to open in July.
Amazon rethinks returns & delivery
Have you noticed any changes lately with your Amazon Prime shopping routine? If you live near a Whole Foods, a Kohl’s or an Amazon Fresh grocery store, you might be incurring a one-dollar charge every time you drop off returns at a UPS Store. Conversely, Amazon might be offering you $10 discounts for skipping delivery and picking up a package yourself. The e-tailer has been testing various strategies to reduce delivery costs, and to see how far customers will go to save a buck or ten. And where Amazon leads, other retailers will surely follow.
Macy's brings more bargains
Looks like this summer will be a great time to snag some big discounts at Macy’s. With sales falling below expectations for yet another quarter, the department store chain says it will try to boost cash flow by offering aggressive markdowns. Macy’s had previously been holding the line on discounts these past few months, in hopes that shoppers would continue to open their wallets. But business this year has proved disappointing for a lot of mid-priced retailers. Shoe store chain Journeys is preparing to close more than 100 stores, while Nordstrom, Gap and The Container Store have all been laying off staff.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, upstairs inside the Cabin John mini-mall. All new summer arrivals fresh from Paris, Italy & New York! Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. Curbside pickup & shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels & custom baskets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, or visit us in person: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320. Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- LEBONDAY: A lifestyle boutique featuring high-end designer goods without the high-end price tag. Check out our new store at Congressional Plaza, 1643-A Rockville Pike, specializing in designer retail & resale. Join our VIC Club loyalty program — you shop & you save. Follow us on Instagram: @LeBonDay. Phone: (240) 249-5908. Website: lebonday.com.
- LEILA JEWELS is the online address for the jewelry, gifts & Judaica shop you used to love at Cabin John Shopping Center. Since closing the shop a few years ago, owner Deb Shalom has gone virtual with a unique & beautiful selection of everything from gemstones & sterling silver to Murano glass from Venice & Judaica from Alef Bet Jewelry & Joy Stember Studios. Every price point, every occasion. Free shipping for all jewelry & hand-delivery for customers in the Potomac area. Catch us in person Sundays at the Cabin John farm market! Website: leilajewels.com.
- MOSAIQUE DESIGNS: Bethesda artist Shelley Dane blends traditional mosaic techniques with modern designs & resin finishes. She takes custom orders for beautiful, functional serving trays inspired by what’s meaningful to you: your home, your dog, your favorite spot, your favorite photo. Perfect for wedding gifts, anniversaries & milestone birthdays. Check out recent pieces on Instagram. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (301) 367-6735. Website: mosaiquedesigns.com.
- OUR GIFT BIZ: We take gift-giving off your plate & save you time, energy & effort. Shop online at ourgiftbiz.com, or work with our “gift concierges” to create the perfect custom gift. Just let us know your budget and when & where to send the gifts; we’ll take care of the rest. Phone: (240) 406-8701. Website: ourgiftbiz.com.
- SUSAN KOEHN DESIGNS: Where fun shines. Come see our collection of fine jewelry. Classy. Edgy. Timeless. Check out our latest on Facebook & Instagram. Call, text, email or DM for a private appointment at our showroom. Email susankoehndesigns.com. Phone: (301) 704-7605.
BUYING & SELLING JEWELRY
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: We can help you settle any estate. Get full value for all precious metal items — gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware & silver serving pieces. We’ll do an in-home appointment, no obligation, to evaluate your items. Call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
CLASSES & EVENTS
- COMING UP AT CABIN JOHN VILLAGE: Weekly farm market, monthly movie nights & kids’ events. Every Sunday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Visit Milk Lady Market in the Plaza for live music, sustainably grown produce, responsibly raised meat, dairy products & artisanal crafts. June 2: Watch Moana outdoors on our big screen in the Plaza. June 5: My Gym for a kids’ music & movement program in the mini-mall atrium. For the full schedule, click here.
- FIBERART STUDIO: “Crafts with Conviviality” is the motto at our studio in Bethesda’s Carderock Springs neighborhood. We’re one of the best-kept secrets in town for unique & creative after-school activities & small-group summer camps. Students age 6 to 99 get a fun introduction to knitting, crocheting, weaving, embroidery, felting & sewing. We also offer birthday parties, workshops & instruction at all levels. Just a few spots left for camp! Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Visit our website for registration. Phone: (240) 600 0170 Website: FiberArt.studio.
KIDS & TEENS
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What are your kids doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2023! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email email@example.com.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES