The "We're Open!" Guide — a list you'll love
This week, let’s start with the good news. Despite everything that’s been going on — including Gov. Hogan’s mandate to close everything that’s not essential — many of our restaurants, stores and other local businesses are still ready to serve you with online shopping, Zoom classes, carry-out, curbside pickup, free delivery and more. Here are some terrific options.
- Brooklyn’s Deli, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza. 1089 Seven Locks Road. Phone: 301-340-3354. Open daily for carry-out & catering. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- Gregorio’s Trattoria, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village. 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-296-6168. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Carry-out, curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery available. All wine and beer 1/2 off. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- Hunter’s Bar and Grill, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: 301-299-9300. Open daily with menu favorites for phone and online orders. Carry-out or use delivery apps. All wine and beer 1/2 off. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- Julii, comfort food + market goods. $30 family meals, sandwiches, Chef D’s favorite dishes plus toilet paper, paper towels & flour. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with UberEats, or 10 percent off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 517-9090. julii.com.
- Metro Microgreens, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Order at metromicrogreens.com, email email@example.com or call 301-706-4884.
- Moby Dick Kabobs, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 240-660-2626. Rockville location: 301-738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery and curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- Normandie Farm, pop on over for fine cooking in Potomac. 10710 Falls Road. Phone: 301-983-8838. Open for carry-out service. Full menu, popovers & jam to go: popovers.com.
- Playa Bowls, acai and pitaya bowls, smoothies, fresh-squeezed juices & coffee drinks. Cabin John Village, 7919 Tuckerman Lane, Potomac. Phone: 240-403-7456. Full menu available for curbside pickup and multiple delivery apps. Order online: playabowls.com.
- Potomac Pizza, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 301-299-7700. Traville location: 301-279-2234. Chevy Chase location: 301-951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- Robeks Rockville, fresh juice & smoothies on the run. Research Row, 1403 Research Blvd. Phone: 240-386-8468. Online ordering, carry-out & delivery. Menu: robeks.com.
- Sisters Thai Potomac, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- St. Veg, 100% plant-based (vegan) cuisine at Fallsgrove Village Center. 14929 Shady Grove Rd., Unit M. Phone: 301-605-7511. Open for carry-out Tuesday-Saturday, noon to 6:30 p.m. Call in your order, pay by phone and pick up near the entrance. stveg.com/menu/
- Talbert’s Ice & Beverage Service, beer & wine delivery. 5234 River Road. Phone: 301-652-3000. Open for walk-ins and as always, delivering beer & wine throughout MoCo, plus ice, sodas & mixers to the DMV. talbertsice.com.
- The Grilled Oyster Co., fine dining at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-9888. Limited menu, beer and wine for carry-out & delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- The Original Pancake House, the first name in pancakes. Locations in Rockville, Bethesda & Falls Church. Phone: 301-468-0886. Full breakfast and lunch menu for carry-out, curbside and delivery via Grubhub & DoorDash. Menu: ophrestaurants.com.
- Scout & Molly’s Boutique, your North Bethesda fashion destination. Temporarily closed at Pike & Rose, (11882 Grand Park Ave.), but now online at 30% off total purchase + free shipping. Call us: 301-348-5047. Shop: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- Park Potomac Yoga is offering multiple virtual live and interactive Zoom classes daily. Beginner, mixed, advanced and private sessions available. New students welcome! www.parkpotomacyoga.com. Email us at email@example.com to get started.
Are you open too? Click here to advertise in our guide.
Chuy's checks out for good
Along with all the temporary coronavirus closings, we also have news about some departures that will be permanent. Chuy’s has closed its doors after a four-year run at Federal Plaza. The Mexican chain shuttered several locations in the past few months, and the Rockville restaurant had been its last in Maryland. This week we also say goodbye to Mynd Spa, the most recent incarnation of the once-iconic Elizabeth Arden Red Door salon chain. Mynd Spa has gone bankrupt and closed all its locations, including the one next to the Canopy hotel at Pike & Rose.
Meanwhile... some businesses are booming
So who’s doing well right now? Grocery stores and drug stores, of course, and anyone who sells alcohol. The latter category is an important one for Montgomery County restaurants, which are temporarily allowed to sell wine, beer and cocktails along with food orders. Sales also are booming for Target, Walmart and Amazon as they scramble to fulfill orders for cleaning supplies, toilet paper and food. And big-box stores like Best Buy, Lowe’s and Home Depot can hardly keep up with the demand for refrigerators, freezers and other major appliances — not to mention laptops, phones and office equipment for the new work-at-home economy.