The masks are going, but the booze is staying
Montgomery County mask mandates are largely being lifted this weekend, but there’s one pandemic practice that’s sticking around: Local bars and restaurants just got permission to keep selling alcohol to-go. This was a big no-no until March of last year, when long-standing rules were temporarily suspended to help boost revenue for struggling local businesses. Turns out, booze pouches to-go were one of the biggest hits of 2020. This week, Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan signed a two-year extension to the new policy and Montgomery County officials didn’t object. So you can continue including beer, wine and cocktails in your takeout orders — at least until June 2023.
New shops pop up in Rockville
Finally, Rockville Town Square has a few new places to shop. Nature by Trejok, which opened this month, sells a colorful mix of new and vintage goods: handbags, jewelry, tableware, skincare products and other giftable goodies. And right next door, mobile pop-up shop Saints Valley has returned to the Square with scarves, textiles and handmade jewelry. You’ll find the two stores on Gibbs Street, between Marble Slab Creamery and Five Guys.
Kick off your summer with Rose's at Home
Just because restaurants are open again doesn’t mean you have to start schlepping back to Washington for fine dining. The Rose’s at Home program, launched during the pandemic, has been such a success that D.C. favorite Rose’s Luxury is still delivering to our area. Order just one meal or a weekend’s worth of dinners, arriving at your doorstep with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating. There are three featured menus for the first half of June. “Picnic Time” includes Nicoise salad, BBQ chicken wings, macaroni salad, cornbread and a dessert of strawberry and rhubarb tart. “Stone Fruit Season” showcases scallop “ceviche” with pickled stone fruit, pork belly glazed in fresh plum sauce, bao buns and cherry clafouti with whipped cream. And “Rose’s Classics” features charred broccoli salad with buttermilk dressing, rigatoni all’Amatriciana and birch sticky toffee pudding. Prices start at $40 per person per meal. Click here for all the details.
New salon for Rockville
Phenix, a California-based chain of beauty salons, is heading to Rockville Pike. Construction is now under way at Federal Plaza, home of Trader Joe’s, where the salon will open later this year above Dollar Tree. This space has been empty since 2019, when Five Below relocated to the Congressional North shopping center. Phenix salons are designed for independent stylists, offering month-to-month rentals without long-term contracts.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
If you haven’t already made summer plans for your kids, it’s not too late to get going. For the little ones, My Gym in Potomac and Bethesda will continue to offer masked and outdoor classes. If your kids are ages 7-18, Lisa Bulman Mullen of Tips on Trips and Camps can guide you to the best options — and her services are free. And if you’re starting to think about the years ahead, this week we welcome College Money Smart to the Store Reporter Guide. Owner Taren Coleman is dedicated to teaching families how to lower their college costs. Scroll down for all these and more in this week’s Store Reporter Guide.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes, cheese blintzes, bagels & more — all made from scratch. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- FISH TACO: Let’s catch up! We are family-owned and we source our food seasonally, sustainably & locally. We take pride in using the highest quality ingredients to bring our guests delicious, hand-crafted meals & empower them to connect with what’s important in life. We offer our famous fish tacos, as well as an assortment of Baja-inspired favorites. Visit us at multiple area locations, or order online at www.fishtacoonline.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Full menu and weekly specials featuring pizzas, pastas, seafood, meats, salads & more. Open indoors & outdoors for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Check out our new Bethesda location on Sangamore Road! Call for personal chef services & catering: (800) 749-8894. Menu for all locations: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. We’ve got grilled chops, steaks, salads, sandwiches & more. Also: Sunday brunch with bottomless mimosas & bloody Marys. Discounted beer and wine to go, carry-out, curbside pickup, outdoor dining options. Call us: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery & curbside pickup. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE: French-inspired cuisine in Rockville. Beautiful modern dining room & bar. Steak frites, salmon filet beurre rouge, boeuf Bourguignon, lobster bisque, shitake mushroom potage, fried chicken waffle sandwich, Nutella waffles, crêpes & much more. Open Tues.-Sun. for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road, delivery with Grubhub & Postmates, or heated outdoor dining. Easy online ordering or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- ORIGINAL PANCAKE HOUSE, the first name in pancakes. Whatever you want for breakfast or lunch, we’ve got it: eggs & omelettes, bacon, sausage, hash browns, sandwiches, French toast, waffles, wraps, burgers, salad & crepes both sweet & savory. Bethesda: 7703 Woodmont Ave., (301) 986-0285. Rockville: 12224 Rockville Pike, (301) 468-0886. Open for limited dine-in plus outdoor seating, takeout, curbside pickup, & deliver via third-party apps. Menu: ophrestaurants.com.
- PICCOLI PIATTI PIZZERIA: Authentic. Neapolitan. Greatness. We use high-quality imported Italian flour & tomatoes, locally sourced meats, organic produce & spectacular domestic cheeses to create exceptional, affordable dishes that please the whole family. Our pizza is crafted to order in the classic Neapolitan style & finished in our 900-degree brick oven. Great pastas, small plates & lunch sandwiches too! 10257 Old Georgetown Road in the Wildwood center. Call us: (240) 858-6099. Order online: piccolipiattipizzeria.com.
- PIKE KITCHEN on Rockville Pike offers some of the best Asian food in the DMV, all at one location. Instead of franchises, we carefully select operators who are passionate about cooking & creating. From mochi donuts, matcha lattes & bubble tea to bibimbap, bulgogi, ramen, katsu, poke bowls, sushi, pho & bánh mi sandwiches, here you can try it all. Open daily noon to 8 p.m. for carryout & delivery. Visit us: 1066 Rockville Pike. Call us: (301) 603-2279. Menu: pikekitchen.com/carryout-delivery.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Sunday with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- QUINCY’S POTOMAC BAR & GRILLE, at Potomac Woods Plaza off Montrose & Seven Locks. Try our 20 beers on tap & American bar fare: hand-cut sirloins, filets & ribeyes, chicken pot pie, fried chicken & beef stew. We host game nights every week: Bingo on Wednesdays & Family Feud on Thursdays. 30+ TVs inside, outside & on the tented patio. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 500-3010. Menu: quincyspotomac.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $40 and up, per person per night. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup and patio dining at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE BOTTLE SHOP WINE & BEER: Mention Store Reporter for 10% off when you spend $50 or more. Exceptional wine, craft beer & artisan snacks — chilled & ready to go — to make your evenings special. You’ll find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 350 Fortune Terrace, around the corner from Park Potomac (Montrose & Seven Locks). Check our weekly wine & beer discounts on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Call ahead for curbside delivery: (301) 738-9463. Website: mybottleshop.net.
- WINTERGREEN PLAZA has the stores, restaurants & services businesses you need — all in one place, with free & easy parking. Besides Food Lion, Classic Beer & Wine, Dunkin’ and Starbucks, this is the home of Chipotle, Habit Burger, Jersey Mike’s, Mission BBQ, Niwano Hana, Paisano’s Pizza, Sweet Frog, Ten Ren Tea Ginseng, The Halal Guys & Wingstop. Also: salons, professional practices, Bray & Scarff, The UPS Store, Pure Hockey, Rockville Soccer, TennisTopia & much more. For a full list, click here.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email email@example.com or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids, cute clothes for moms & gifts for everyone. Message us for a private appointment at our new outdoor shop in Potomac. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Call us: (301) 706-8122. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new website: austynparker.com.
- GYM & TONIC, the premier store for athleisure wear that takes you from bootcamp to brunch. Stop by to shop in person at Park Potomac, Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. We also offer virtual shopping appointments, same-day delivery in the DMV & shipping all over the U.S. Find us on Instagram @lovegymandtonic to see all of our latest arrivals. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 340-8800.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, inside the Cabin John mini-mall. New reversible jackets, colorful capris, spring tops, kimonos, shrugs & wraps. Don’t miss our closeout sale on the Michal Negrin line. Come on in for a private appointment, or schedule a virtual shopping session. Curbside/limited delivery/shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. New website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels, custom baskets & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday & 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAREN’S ROCKS AND RAGS, on-trend women’s boutique in the Kentlands. Come check out our funky little store! Great selection of gently used designer handbags, accessories, jewelry & shoes at amazing prices. (Louis Vuitton, Gucci & Chanel, just to name a few.) Unique, fun & affordable clothing, handmade & one-of-a-kind jewelry. Right now, all jewelry is half-price & all handbags 20% off (not including consigned items). Open Tuesday-Friday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. 212 Main Street, Kentlands. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. Call us: (240) 631-2565. Website: karensrocksandrags.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- OAK is a modern Kensington boutique infusing creativity, comfort & style with a slight twist. This time of year, the store is evolving with lots of cotton, linen & athleisure. Think comfy style with lots of natural fibers & basics with an edge. Fair trade and made-in-the-U.S. products when possible. Most items priced under $100. Open every day but Mondays at 10511 Metropolitan Ave., minutes from Rockville Pike. Shop Facebook & Instagram to see what’s in the store. Call us: (301) 933-0281. Website: oakthshop.com,
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Check out our new arrivals this week! More crinkle camo JOGGERS, new band tees, handbags & spring/summer tops! Ask about private shopping & curbside pickup. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online, shop in-store or call us: (301) 348-5047. Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit freemansauction.com/specialists/debrah-dunner.
- STX GOLD — turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
FITNESS, HEALTH & BEAUTY
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email email@example.com or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. Trainers are now vaccinated! Full vax equals no masks if you are also vaccinated, according to CDC guidelines. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- THE GLOSSARY NAIL SPA: The newest salon at Cabin John Village, offering the latest health & safety precautions. Manicures, pedicures, skincare, waxing, lash extensions & permanent makeup. We follow all COVID guidelines with plexiglass dividers, disinfecting between services, caps on occupancy & six-foot social distancing. Ask about our discounts & gift card specials. Walk-ins welcome — you’ll find us right next to My Eye Dr. Call us: (240) 660-2192. Website: glossarynailspa.com.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- JAMIE KRAMER EVENTS is dedicated to crafting authentic, memorable & customized experiences for private & corporate events. Celebrations & milestones, conferences & board meetings, team building, corporate retreats, networking & more. Whether your event is virtual, socially distanced or you’re planning ahead for in-person, we promise to make it unforgettable. Check us out on Instagram & Facebook, and email firstname.lastname@example.org to start planning. Website: jamiekramerevents.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party), recitals, graduations, cotillion & other special occasions. Our clothes are fashionable, well-made, well-priced, age-appropriate — and not typically found in department stores. Private shopping appointments are available! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email email@example.com.
- OFF THE HOOK CATERING: Gourmet party platters from the team behind the Go Fish food truck, dropped off at your doorstep. Mini-sandwiches, mini-crab cakes, assorted hors d’oeuvres on skewers & platters. Try our shrimp with cocktail sauce, poached or with garlic & bruschetta. Also: thin-sliced grilled flank steak with caramelized onion & red pepper sauce, roasted & grilled vegetables, roasted potatoes, corn bread, flatbreads, fresh-baked cookies & more. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Menu: offthehookcatering.com.
- POTOMAC PETALS & PLANTS: Exquisite floral arrangements for any occasion, always designed to impress. Our creative team can put together one-of-kind arrangements, stunning orchid gardens, party centerpieces, ceremony backdrops & much more. Ask about our monthly orchid subscriptions. For same-day orders & consultations, call (301) 765-7670. Mention Store Reporter for FREE floral delivery. Website: www.ppetalsp.com.
KIDS & TEENS
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups & age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends & still social distance. Also introducing pod play dates! We’re still offering interactive live Zoom classes & birthday parties. And we’ve opened the Potomac location for small group indoor playdates & small three-hour camps. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What will your kids be doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for 2021! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email email@example.com.
- EFFICIENT EDITION: Marianna Ashin offers full-service home organizing with a focus on making your spaces efficient & beautiful. We’ll identify your problem areas & create a custom organizing plan just for you. Kitchens, pantries, garages & everything in between – we’ll curate your storage spaces to reflect the beauty in your home, so you can spend time doing the things you love. Use code SPRING to get one hour of free organizing with the purchase of four hours! Check us out on Instagram. Phone (202) 255-9922.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, commercial, residential & emergency. Lock repair & replacement, re-key services, touchscreen locks & high-security locks. Now offering security cameras, video doorbells & monitored security systems accessible on any device, so you can talk to visitors & unlock doors remotely. All at a low monthly fee. Labor & materials guaranteed for as long as you own your home. Appointments & after-hour emergencies: (240) 506-7500. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
- COLLEGE MONEY SMART: Paying for college on your mind? Don’t let college costs derail your financial life. Take control of your college financial planning to lower your costs, avoid excessive debt and protect your family’s future. When you know more, you won’t owe more! Call (301) 841-8727 or email Taren Coleman at email@example.com. Website: collegemoneysmart.com.
- LAW OFFICES OF LLOYD A. MALECH, Bethesda family law attorney. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support and alimony battles, enforcing and modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, and settlement agreements. Call us: (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.