A Giant change for Potomac
The Giant supermarket chain is working hard to upgrade its image in Potomac. It just completed major renovations at Cabin John, including an exterior facelift that finally aligns with the shopping center’s current look. Now the Potomac Village store is getting a similar overhaul. The changes at both locations include updated floors, better lighting and modernized signs, plus a dedicated pickup area for online orders.
New Ikea on the way
If you’ve ever wished that you could pop into Ikea without having to schlep to College Park, we have some good news: The Swedish retailer is opening a 9,000-square-foot “mini” store at the Rio shopping center in Gaithersburg. This new showroom format will present just a fraction of Ikea’s vast inventory. Sales staff will be on hand to help customers plan out their rooms and finesse the ordering process. Also: Anything you buy — onsite or online — can be shipped to Rio for free. Doors are scheduled to open this fall.
Survival of the fitness center
Just a few months after Planet Fitness exited Rockville Pike, a new gym is taking its place at Federal Plaza. This will be the first foray into Maryland for DMV Iron Gym, which has two locations in Northern Virginia. The focus is on weight training, with programs available for every level from beginners to power lifters. (If you’re looking for Planet Fitness, it’s now located in the former Gold’s Gym building on Randolph Road.)
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, upstairs inside the Cabin John mini-mall. All new summer arrivals fresh from Paris, Italy & New York! Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. Curbside pickup & shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
IBHANA BOUTIQUE is the place to shop your favorite U.S. & Canadian designers: Joseph Ribkoff, IC, Snoskins, Moonlight, Lisette, Lior, Terra, Piccadilly, Habitat & more. Complete your outfit with a beautiful piece of jewelry & matching handbag, & walk out as your best self. New location: Federal Plaza in Rockville, 1776 East Jefferson Street, Suite 116. Open Monday-Saturday 10-5, Sunday 11-4. Phone: (301) 424-0906. Website: ibhana.net.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels & custom baskets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, or visit us in person: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320. Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- LEBONDAY: A lifestyle boutique featuring high-end designer goods without the high-end price tag. Check out our new store at Congressional Plaza, 1643-A Rockville Pike, specializing in designer retail & resale. Join our VIC Club loyalty program — you shop & you save. Follow us on Instagram: @LeBonDay. Phone: (240) 249-5908. Website: lebonday.com.
- LEILA JEWELS is the online address for the jewelry, gifts & Judaica shop you used to love at Cabin John Shopping Center. Since closing the shop a few years ago, owner Deb Shalom has gone virtual with a unique & beautiful selection of everything from gemstones & sterling silver to Murano glass from Venice & Judaica from Alef Bet Jewelry & Joy Stember Studios. Every price point, every occasion. Free shipping for all jewelry & hand-delivery for customers in the Potomac area. Catch us in person Sundays at the Cabin John farm market! Website: leilajewels.com.
- MOSAIQUE DESIGNS: Bethesda artist Shelley Dane blends traditional mosaic techniques with modern designs & resin finishes. She takes custom orders for beautiful, functional serving trays inspired by what’s meaningful to you: your home, your dog, your favorite spot, your favorite photo. Perfect for wedding gifts, anniversaries & milestone birthdays. Check out recent pieces on Instagram. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (301) 367-6735. Website: mosaiquedesigns.com.
- OUR GIFT BIZ: We take gift-giving off your plate & save you time, energy & effort. Shop online at ourgiftbiz.com, or work with our “gift concierges” to create the perfect custom gift. Just let us know your budget and when & where to send the gifts; we’ll take care of the rest. Phone: (240) 406-8701. Website: ourgiftbiz.com.
- SUSAN KOEHN DESIGNS: Where fun shines. Come see our collection of fine jewelry. Classy. Edgy. Timeless. Check out our latest on Facebook & Instagram. Call, text, email or DM for a private appointment at our showroom. Email susankoehndesigns.com. Phone: (301) 704-7605.
BUYING & SELLING JEWELRY
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email email@example.com. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: We can help you settle any estate. Get full value for all precious metal items — gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware & silver serving pieces. We’ll do an in-home appointment, no obligation, to evaluate your items. Call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
CLASSES & EVENTS
- COMING UP AT CABIN JOHN VILLAGE: Weekly farm market, monthly movie nights & kids’ events. Every Sunday from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.: Visit Milk Lady Market in the Plaza for live music, sustainably grown produce, responsibly raised meat, dairy products & artisanal crafts. Friday, June 2 at 8:30 p.m.: Watch Moana outdoors on our big screen in the Plaza. Monday, June 5 from 10-11 a.m.: My Gym kids’ music & movement program in the mini-mall atrium. For the full schedule, click here.
KIDS & TEENS
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What are your kids doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2023! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES