New spirits at Cabin John Village
Here’s a glimpse of the future tasting room at Oak Barrel & Vine, the county-operated beer, wine and spirits store that opens next week at Cabin John Village. Showcased in a prime spot between Giant and Starbucks, this store looks nothing like its dingy predecessor inside the Cabin John mini-mall. With a new name, modern decor and welcoming atmosphere, it’s meant to serve as a prototype for the future of Montgomery County Alcohol Beverage Services. The tasting room, which will have barstools and working taps by next week, will be a hub for local brewers and distillers to host sampling events. There also will be a wine library, a selection of super high-end spirits, cocktail accoutrements, and the latest drinks from celebs like The Rock, Nick Jonas and George Clooney. Doors will open on Wednesday (Oct. 27th). For a preview tour, check out Store Reporter on Facebook and Instagram.
Miniso hits the mall
Asian variety store chain Miniso made its Maryland debut this week with a new location at Westfield Montgomery mall. The eight-year-old brand was created by a Chinese entrepreneur but describes itself as “Japanese-inspired,” focusing on cute, colorful goods at a $5-to-$15 price point. The selection here is surprisingly wide: everything from home goods, exercise equipment, toiletries and phone accessories to plush toys, kids’ luggage, teen styles, baby items and pet products. Some of the brands are unfamiliar to U.S. shoppers, but many items are produced in partnership with names like Marvel, Disney, Hello Kitty and Sesame Street. Miniso has nearly 5,000 stores in 90 countries, but its U.S. expansion is just beginning. At Westfield Montgomery, it replaces the short-lived Perfume Palace near Macy’s.
Weekend plan: Taste of Downtown Crown
The first-ever Taste of Downtown Crown is this Saturday (Oct. 23rd), from 2 to 5 p.m. in the park next to Ted’s Buletin. Admission is free, everything is outdoors, D.C. rock band JunkFood will be playing, and there will be food and drinks available for sale and sampling. Check out the lineup of restaurants: Asia Nine, La Madeleine, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Mezeh Mediterranean Grill, Old Town Pour House, Ted’s Montana Grill, Cinnaholic, Paladar, Coastal Flats and Spice Life. Other participating businesses include Amazing Art Studio, Floyd’s 99, Sephora, Artist on Market, LA Fitness, Trio, Club Pilates and the Woodhouse Day Spa. Find the details here, or call (301) 330-5400.
Christmas cheer starts earlier this year
Looks like Christmas has arrived early at Nordstrom this year. Normally, the department store chain makes a point of being fashionably late with its holiday decor. While other stores start the festivities right around Halloween, Nordstrom waits until after Thanksgiving to deck the halls. But this year is different: The Westfield Montgomery mall store already has a holiday shop brimming with self-lighting trees, ornaments and shelves of festive Christmas and Chanukah gifts. A Nordstrom rep tells us this doesn’t count as decorating early, because all these items are actually for sale. “We have a longstanding tradition of waiting until after Thanksgiving to decorate our stores,” the rep says,”and we will continue that tradition again this year.” (OK, whatever you say.)
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
Enjoy outdoor dining while the weather is beautiful! Grab a table at one of the restaurants on our list. And don’t miss this week’s Shop Local section for your guide to new fall fashions and sales. Scroll down for all that and more in the Store Reporter Guide.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes, cheese blintzes, bagels & more — all made from scratch. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering, indoor dining & plenty of patio seating. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- COLADA SHOP POTOMAC: Celebrate Colada’s Annual Coffee Festival at Cabin John Village. Sip on limited-edition coffee cocktails, enjoy coffee cuppings & cocktail classes, plus the return of the churro cafe con leche, 10% off all retail coffee bags & more! Also, exclusive to the Potomac location is Colada’s Coffee Club Subscription for the month of November! Stop by to purchase a Coffee Subscription Card and get eight of any regular coffee drinks for $25. Phone: (240) 332-8870. Learn more at www.coladashop.com.
- FISH TACO: Let’s catch up! We are family-owned and we source our food seasonally, sustainably & locally. We take pride in using the highest quality ingredients to bring our guests delicious, hand-crafted meals & empower them to connect with what’s important in life. We offer our famous fish tacos, as well as an assortment of Baja-inspired favorites. Visit us at multiple area locations, or order online at www.fishtacoonline.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Full menu and weekly specials featuring pizzas, pastas, seafood, meats, salads & more. Open indoors & outdoors for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Check out our new Bethesda location on Sangamore Road! Call for personal chef services & catering: (800) 749-8894. Menu for all locations: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, charming & cozy pub at Cabin John Village, serving regional American cuisine with an Irish twist. We’ve got a fireplace, two bars, a wood-burning grill, open kitchen & large-screen TVs, plus outdoor dining with garage doors that open in fair weather. Live music five nights a week, weekday lunch deals, happy hour, weekend brunch & late-night menu. Call us: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for dine-in, carry-out, delivery & curbside pickup. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE: French-inspired cuisine in Rockville. Beautiful modern dining room & bar. Steak frites, salmon filet beurre rouge, boeuf Bourguignon, lobster bisque, shitake mushroom potage, fried chicken waffle sandwich, Nutella waffles, crêpes & much more. Open Tues.-Sun. for breakfast, lunch & dinner at 186 Halpine Road. Dine inside or outside, take your meals home, or order delivery with Grubhub & Postmates. Easy online ordering or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- ORIGINAL PANCAKE HOUSE, the first name in pancakes. Whatever you want for breakfast or lunch, we’ve got it: eggs & omelettes, bacon, sausage, hash browns, sandwiches, French toast, waffles, wraps, burgers, salad & crepes both sweet & savory. Bethesda: 7703 Woodmont Ave., (301) 986-0285. Rockville: 12224 Rockville Pike, (301) 468-0886. Indoor & outdoor dining, takeout, curbside pickup or delivery via third-party apps. Menu: ophrestaurants.com.
- PICCOLI PIATTI PIZZERIA: Authentic. Neapolitan. Greatness. We use high-quality imported Italian flour & tomatoes, locally sourced meats, organic produce & spectacular domestic cheeses to create exceptional, affordable dishes that please the whole family. Our pizza is crafted to order in the classic Neapolitan style & finished in our 900-degree brick oven. Great pastas, small plates & lunch sandwiches too! 10257 Old Georgetown Road in the Wildwood center. Call us: (240) 858-6099. Order online: piccolipiattipizzeria.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Dine with us or choose contact-free delivery, curbside pickup or takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee & more. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Sunday with iced & hot coffee & tea, coffee beans & pastries. Also try our juices, frappes & fresh, all-natural smoothies. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- QUINCY’S POTOMAC BAR & GRILLE, at Potomac Woods Plaza off Montrose & Seven Locks. Twenty beers on tap & American bar fare: hand-cut sirloins, filets & ribeyes; fried chicken, grilled chicken kabobs, lamb lollipops, fajitas & more. We host trivia night on Mondays, karaoke on Tuesdays, bingo on Wednesdays, Family Feud on Thursdays. Visit us during football to watch every college & NFL game on our 30+ indoor & outdoor TVs. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 500-3010. Menu: quincyspotomac.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $40 and up, per person per night. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + drinks & desserts. Indoor & patio dining with a funky, charming decor at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Try our chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & much more. We’re also known for our Instagrammable desserts, cocktails, teas, fruit drinks & specialty lattes. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE BOTTLE SHOP WINE & BEER: Exceptional wine, craft beer & artisan snacks — chilled & ready to go — to make your evenings special. You’ll find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 350 Fortune Terr., around the corner from Park Potomac (Montrose & Seven Locks). Check our weekly wine & beer discounts on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Take 20% off when you mention Store Reporter, through Nov. 14. Call us: (301) 738-9463. Website: mybottleshop.net.
- WINTERGREEN PLAZA has the stores, restaurants & services businesses you need — all in one place, with free & easy parking. Besides Food Lion, Classic Beer & Wine, Dunkin’ and Starbucks, this is the home of Chipotle, Habit Burger, Jersey Mike’s, Mission BBQ, Niwano Hana, Paisano’s Pizza, Sweet Frog, Ten Ren Tea Ginseng, The Halal Guys & Wingstop. Also: salons, professional practices, Bray & Scarff, The UPS Store, Pure Hockey, Rockville Soccer, TennisTopia & much more. For a full list, click here.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids, cute clothes for moms & gifts for everyone. Message us for a private appointment at our new outdoor shop in Potomac. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Call us: (301) 706-8122. Email us: email@example.com. Check out our website: austynparker.com.
- GYM & TONIC, the premiere store for athleisure wear that takes you from bootcamp to brunch. Stop by to shop in person at Park Potomac, Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. We also offer virtual shopping appointments, same-day delivery in the DMV & shipping all over the U.S. Find us on Instagram @lovegymandtonic to see all of our latest arrivals. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, inside the Cabin John mini-mall. Our transitional/fall collections, wraps and capes are now in the stock! Try our best-selling reversible jacket: bright colors on one side, black on the other. Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. New open/walk-in hours; call us for the latest. Curbside/limited delivery/shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: everything you need for the spa experience at home! We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels, custom baskets & gift sets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, and we’re open for in-person shopping: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320 . Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- OAK is a modern Kensington boutique infusing creativity, comfort & style with a slight twist. This time of year, the store is evolving with lots of cotton, linen & athleisure. Think comfy style with lots of natural fibers & basics with an edge. Fair trade and made-in-the-U.S. products when possible. Most items priced under $100. Open every day but Mondays at 10511 Metropolitan Ave., minutes from Rockville Pike. Shop Facebook & Instagram to see what’s in the store. Call us: (301) 933-0281. Website: oakthshop.com,
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Enjoy 20% off this weekend (Oct. 22-24)! Use HIGHFIVE if shopping online. New arrivals almost every day! Sweaters, joggers, jackets. Jagged Halo Fashion Show on Oct. 24 at 6:30 p.m. — RSVP only. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online, shop in-store or call us: (301) 348-5047. Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
KIDS & TEENS
- COLLEGE MONEY SMART: Paying for college on your mind? Don’t let college costs derail your financial life. Take control of your college financial planning to lower your costs, avoid excessive debt and protect your family’s future. When you know more, you won’t owe more! Call (301) 841-8727 or email Taren Coleman at email@example.com. Website: collegemoneysmart.com.
- PREP 1ON1 ACT/SAT TUTORING: Personalized tutoring plans created specifically for your student’s needs. Our highly trained tutors will prepare your student for the ACTs, SATs and PSATs, including mock tests to help get them ready for the real thing. Not sure which test is best? Our complimentary diagnostic tests will help you decide. Instruction is online or in-person at Cabin John Village, Suite 207. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call (240) 621-7225. Website: prep1on1.com.
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: Summer is over. So what will your kids be doing next year? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2022! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email email@example.com.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION: America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email firstname.lastname@example.org; or visit freemansauction.com/directory/debrah-dunner.
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email email@example.com. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: Turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
FITNESS, WELLNESS & BEAUTY
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. Trainers are vaccinated! Full vax equals no masks if you are also vaccinated, according to CDC guidelines. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- THE GLOSSARY NAIL SPA: The newest salon at Cabin John Village, offering manicure, pedicures & waxing. You’ll find us right next to My Eye Dr. We use the highest quality products and never re-use materials, so everything is fresh for you. Walk-ins welcome, but weekends are busy so it’s best to make an appointment. Call us: (240) 660-2192. Website: glossarynailspa.com.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MALECH LAW, Bethesda family law practitioner. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support & alimony battles, enforcing & modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, & settlement agreements. Call Lloyd Malech at (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com. Family law, reenvisioned.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, commercial, residential & emergency. Lock repair & replacement, re-key services, touchscreen locks & high-security locks. Now offering security cameras, video doorbells & monitored security systems accessible on any device, so you can talk to visitors & unlock doors remotely. All at a low monthly fee. Labor & materials guaranteed for as long as you own your home. Appointments & after-hour emergencies: (240) 506-7500. Email: email@example.com. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- JAMIE KRAMER EVENTS is dedicated to crafting authentic, memorable & customized experiences for private & corporate events. Celebrations & milestones, conferences & board meetings, team building, corporate retreats, networking & more. Whether you’re ready for an in-person event or still prefer virtual, we promise to make it unforgettable. Check us out on Instagram & Facebook, and email firstname.lastname@example.org to start planning. Website: jamiekramerevents.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party), recitals, graduations, cotillion & other special occasions. Our clothes are fashionable, well-made, well-priced, age-appropriate — and not typically found in department stores. Now booking private shopping appointments for fall events! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email email@example.com.