Chopt checks into Cabin John
Chopt Creative Salad Company opens its doors March 14th at Cabin John Village. (Or you can stop in a day early to participate in a fundraiser for Manna Food Center.) This location includes a spacious patio, plus the convenience of a French bakery right next door — so you can enjoy your guilt-free salad, then sneak in for a pastry from Boulangerie Christophe. Chopt now has six restaurants in Maryland, five of which are in Montgomery County.
Sushi and more at Cabin John
Kema by Kenaki hoisted its sign at Cabin John Village this week, but we’ve still got a bit of a wait for those Black Magic sushi rolls. Owner Aki Ballogdajan, who also operates Kenaki in Kentlands and Ako in D.C. with her brother Ken, says they’re hoping to open at Cabin John in April. Other new restaurants on the way to Cabin John include Colony Grill on the back side of the mini-mall (more on that here) and Capo Deli next to Playa Bowls (more on that here).
Cupcakes, pupcakes, ice cream & more
New sweet spot making its debut on Saturday (March 11th) at 844 Rockville Pike: Lil’ Cakes & Creamery, a Gaithersburg-based business opening its fourth location in Maryland. Cupcakes are the star here, with flavors like the Coffee Overload (espresso-soaked vanilla, coffee grounds and coffee beans); the Blueberry Lemon (blueberry, lemon curd and lemon buttercream); and the Strawberry Crunch (strawberry filling, strawberry wafers and golden Oreos). The shop also makes its own ice cream and other baked goods, which results in mashups like cake-and-cream cups, cake in a jar, cake push pops and cupcake milkshakes. You and your dog (there are pup cups and doggy cakes on the menu) can stop by until 8:30 p.m. weekdays, 9 p.m. weekends.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide to some of our favorite local businesses
- BONDAY is a Rockville lifestyle boutique brimming with unique clothing, shoes, purses & gifts that spark joy. Shop our new Felicity T handbag line, made in Italy. Check out our moving specials. Find us at Federal Plaza on Rockville Pike. Shop Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 249-5908. Website: lebonday.com.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, upstairs inside the Cabin John mini-mall. Big winter sale going on now! All winter fashions are on clearance. Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. Curbside pickup & shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
IBHANA BOUTIQUE is the place to shop your favorite U.S. & Canadian designers: Joseph Ribkoff, IC, Snoskins, Moonlight, Lisette, Lior, Terra, Piccadilly, Habitat & more. Complete your outfit with a beautiful piece of jewelry & matching handbag, & walk out as your best self. New location: Federal Plaza in Rockville, 1776 East Jefferson Street, Suite 116. Open Monday-Saturday 10-5, Sunday 11-4. Phone: (301) 424-0906. Website: ibhana.net.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels & custom baskets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, or visit us in person: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320. Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- LEILA JEWELS is the online address for the jewelry, gifts & Judaica shop you used to love at Cabin John Shopping Center. Since closing the shop a few years ago, owner Deb Shalom has gone virtual with a unique & beautiful selection of everything from gemstones & sterling silver to Murano glass from Venice & Judaica from Alef Bet Jewelry & Joy Stember Studios. Every price point, every occasion. Free shipping for all jewelry & hand-delivery for customers in the Potomac area. Website: leilajewels.com.
- MOSAIQUE DESIGNS: Bethesda artist Shelley Dane blends traditional mosaic techniques with modern designs & resin finishes. She takes custom orders for beautiful, functional serving trays inspired by what’s meaningful to you: your home, your dog, your favorite spot, your favorite photo. Perfect for wedding gifts, anniversaries & milestone birthdays. Check out recent pieces on Instagram. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (301) 367-6735. Website: mosaiquedesigns.com.
- SAINTS VALLEY: Looking for avant garde pieces? Look no further than our shop at Rockville Town Square! Explore our original jewelry designs made from Armenian silver, one of the best silvers in the world. Browse our handmade silk & wool artsy pillow cases; wall hangings showcasing traditional & post-modern designs; & cloud-soft pashminas from Kashmir. Start your epiphany of fashion at 130 Gibbs Street, Unit A. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (301) 906-3493.
- SHEYLA VIE COLLECTIONS: Designer & luxury women’s fashions at affordable prices. Visit our Friendship Heights boutique for one-of-a-kind special occasion gowns, luxury gifts, holiday party outfits & VIP personal service. We carry everything from Gucci, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent & Sam Edelman to Jovani, Temptation & Redemption — all at 10%-70% off every day. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online or visit us at 5333 Wisconsin Avenue NW. Phone: (202) 506-7125. Website: sheylaviecollections.com.
- SUSAN KOEHN DESIGNS: Where fun shines. Come see our collection of fine jewelry. Classy. Edgy. Timeless. Valentine’s day specials happening now! Check out our latest on Facebook & Instagram. Call, text, email or DM for a private appointment at our showroom. Email susankoehndesigns.com. Phone: (301) 704-7605.
BUYING AND SELLING JEWELRY
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: We can help you settle any estate. Get full value for all precious metal items — gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware & silver serving pieces. We’ll do an in-home appointment, no obligation, to evaluate your items. Call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
KIDS & TEENS
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What are your kids doing this summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2023! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email email@example.com.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES