Almost time to Call Your Mother
Opening day is finally approaching for Call Your Mother Deli at Pike & Rose, where fans have been waiting for those signature sandwiches since the lease was signed last year. This will be the second Montgomery County location for the D.C.-based restaurant, which also operates an eye-catching trolley in Bethesda. The decor here will feature the company’s distinctive pink-and-blue color scheme, and the menu will be packed with offbeat twists on classic sandwiches. For a peek at the progress inside this space, check out Store Reporter on Facebook and Instagram.
Finally, free parking at the Square
Here’s one thing we know for sure about Rockville Town Square: People really hate paying to park there. In fact, the annoyance of forking over a few extra bucks seems to be outweighed only by the hassle of asking merchants to validate one’s parking ticket. So we’re happy to report that the Square has finally put an end to all that. Effective immediately: All parking is free for the first two hours, no validation required. If you’ve been thinking about checking out some of those new stores and restaurants, or enjoying a meal at one of the colorful new outdoor tables on Gibbs Street, consider this your invitation.
Upcoming auction: Baaa for the big bucks
A D.C.-area family is about to part with a sculpture collection they’ve owned since the 1980s: five sheep, a rhinoceros and an elephant that are collectively expected to fetch close to $1 million. The entire herd, by celebrated French artist François-Xavier Lalanne, will be featured in Freeman’s Modern and Contemporary Art auction, happening this November. Lalanne and his wife Claude, known in the art world as Les Lalanne, melded art, design and function to produce some fabulous whimsical pieces: a bronze rhino that turns into a desk, a hippo that becomes a bathtub, and flocks of wool-covered indoor sheep that also function as chairs. “There’s a lot of attention being paid to Les Lalanne right now,” says Debrah Dunner, the Potomac-based rep for Freeman’s. “There is one exhibition at the Clark museum in Massachusetts — the first of its kind in this country — and another at Versailles. If anyone out there has Lalannes and they’ve thought about selling, they should strike while the iron is hot.” (Speaking of hot items, the copy of the Declaration of Independence that we wrote about last month sold for five times its pre-auction estimate, bringing in a historic $4.42 million.) Are you thinking about selling art, furniture or jewelry that’s been in your family for years — or just want to know what it’s worth? Dunner offers free auction estimates, including virtual appointments. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 738-0247.
Off to a sweet start
Candy store It’Sugar, which closed its doors at Rockville Town Square last winter, returned this week with a new location at Westfield Montgomery mall. This shop should help fill the sweet spot left by the departures of Lolli and Pops and Godiva earlier this year. So now maybe it’s time for a movie theater to go with all that candy? No word yet on the fate of the ArcLight, but stay tuned to Store Reporter for the latest.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
With so many long-awaited celebrations finally happening this year, our Store Reporter Guide is bursting with resources for all your upcoming festivities. We’ve got recommendations for party planning, yard decor, florists, montage makers and mitzvah dresses. And this week we welcome another new addition: local calligrapher Candi Rothenberg, who will give your invitations and favors that final elegant touch.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JAMIE KRAMER EVENTS is dedicated to crafting authentic, memorable & customized experiences for private & corporate events. Celebrations & milestones, conferences & board meetings, team building, corporate retreats, networking & more. Whether you’re ready for an in-person event or still prefer virtual, we promise to make it unforgettable. Check us out on Instagram & Facebook, and email email@example.com to start planning. Website: jamiekramerevents.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party), recitals, graduations, cotillion & other special occasions. Our clothes are fashionable, well-made, well-priced, age-appropriate — and not typically found in department stores. Now booking private shopping appointments for fall events! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- POTOMAC PETALS & PLANTS: Exquisite floral arrangements for any occasion, always designed to impress. Our creative team can put together one-of-kind arrangements, stunning orchid gardens, party centerpieces, ceremony backdrops & much more. Ask about our monthly orchid subscriptions. For same-day orders & consultations, call (301) 765-7670. Mention Store Reporter for FREE floral delivery. Website: www.ppetalsp.com.
- PROFESSIONAL HAND CALLIGRAPHY: Hand lettering is an elegant art that no machine can match. Let Candi Rothenberg add a beautiful, personalized touch to your wedding & mitzvah invitations, save-the-dates, place cards, thank-you notes, menus, guest books & party favors. Pricing starts at $3 per envelope, featuring the font and ink color of your choice. Special pricing for full party packages. Call now for your fall events: (301) 340-6363. Email: email@example.com. Website: www.calligraphybycandi.com.
HEALTH & WELLNESS
- EDAY ACUPUNCTURE, restoring mind, body& spirit through traditional Chinese medicine. Dr. Xiaobo Peng combines Eastern and Western approaches using acupuncture, acupressure, cupping, herbal medicine & other natural processes. Visit our office in downtown Rockville for a holistic approach to pain management, sleep disorders, men’s and women’s health issues, depression, stress & much more. Most major insurance plans accepted. Call (240) 714-8569. Website: edayacupuncture.com.
- THE GLOSSARY NAIL SPA: The newest salon at Cabin John Village, offering manicure, pedicures & waxing. You’ll find us right next to My Eye Dr. We use the highest quality products and never re-use materials, so everything is fresh for you. Walk-ins welcome, but weekends are busy so it’s best to make an appointment. Call us: (240) 660-2192. Website: glossarynailspa.com.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes, cheese blintzes, bagels & more — all made from scratch. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering, indoor dining & plenty of patio seating. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- FISH TACO: Let’s catch up! We are family-owned and we source our food seasonally, sustainably & locally. We take pride in using the highest quality ingredients to bring our guests delicious, hand-crafted meals & empower them to connect with what’s important in life. We offer our famous fish tacos, as well as an assortment of Baja-inspired favorites. Visit us at multiple area locations, or order online at www.fishtacoonline.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Full menu and weekly specials featuring pizzas, pastas, seafood, meats, salads & more. Open indoors & outdoors for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Check out our new Bethesda location on Sangamore Road! Call for personal chef services & catering: (800) 749-8894. Menu for all locations: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, charming & cozy pub at Cabin John Village, serving regional American cuisine with an Irish twist. We’ve got a fireplace, two bars, a wood-burning grill, open kitchen & large-screen TVs, plus outdoor dining with garage doors that open in fair weather. Live music five nights a week, weekday lunch deals, happy hour, weekend brunch & late-night menu. Call us: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for dine-in, carry-out, delivery & curbside pickup. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE: French-inspired cuisine in Rockville. Beautiful modern dining room & bar. Steak frites, salmon filet beurre rouge, boeuf Bourguignon, lobster bisque, shitake mushroom potage, fried chicken waffle sandwich, Nutella waffles, crêpes & much more. Open Tues.-Sun. for breakfast, lunch & dinner at 186 Halpine Road. Dine inside or outside, take your meals home, or order delivery with Grubhub & Postmates. Easy online ordering or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- ORIGINAL PANCAKE HOUSE, the first name in pancakes. Whatever you want for breakfast or lunch, we’ve got it: eggs & omelettes, bacon, sausage, hash browns, sandwiches, French toast, waffles, wraps, burgers, salad & crepes both sweet & savory. Bethesda: 7703 Woodmont Ave., (301) 986-0285. Rockville: 12224 Rockville Pike, (301) 468-0886. Indoor & outdoor dining, takeout, curbside pickup or delivery via third-party apps. Menu: ophrestaurants.com.
- PICCOLI PIATTI PIZZERIA: Authentic. Neapolitan. Greatness. We use high-quality imported Italian flour & tomatoes, locally sourced meats, organic produce & spectacular domestic cheeses to create exceptional, affordable dishes that please the whole family. Our pizza is crafted to order in the classic Neapolitan style & finished in our 900-degree brick oven. Great pastas, small plates & lunch sandwiches too! 10257 Old Georgetown Road in the Wildwood center. Call us: (240) 858-6099. Order online: piccolipiattipizzeria.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Dine with us or choose contact-free delivery, curbside pickup or takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee & more. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Sunday with iced & hot coffee & tea, coffee beans & pastries. Also try our juices, frappes & fresh, all-natural smoothies. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- QUINCY’S POTOMAC BAR & GRILLE, at Potomac Woods Plaza off Montrose & Seven Locks. Try our 20 beers on tap & American bar fare: hand-cut sirloins, filets & ribeyes, chicken pot pie, fried chicken & beef stew. We host game nights every week: Bingo on Wednesdays & Family Feud on Thursdays. 30+ TVs inside, outside & on the patio. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 500-3010. Menu: quincyspotomac.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $40 and up, per person per night. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + drinks & desserts. Indoor & patio dining with a funky, charming decor at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Try our chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & much more. We’re also known for our Instagrammable desserts, cocktails, teas, fruit drinks & specialty lattes. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE BOTTLE SHOP WINE & BEER: Exceptional wine, craft beer & artisan snacks — chilled & ready to go — to make your evenings special. You’ll find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 350 Fortune Terr., around the corner from Park Potomac (Montrose & Seven Locks). Check our weekly wine & beer discounts on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Call us: (301) 738-9463. Website: mybottleshop.net.
- WINTERGREEN PLAZA has the stores, restaurants & services businesses you need — all in one place, with free & easy parking. Besides Food Lion, Classic Beer & Wine, Dunkin’ and Starbucks, this is the home of Chipotle, Habit Burger, Jersey Mike’s, Mission BBQ, Niwano Hana, Paisano’s Pizza, Sweet Frog, Ten Ren Tea Ginseng, The Halal Guys & Wingstop. Also: salons, professional practices, Bray & Scarff, The UPS Store, Pure Hockey, Rockville Soccer, TennisTopia & much more. For a full list, click here.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids, cute clothes for moms & gifts for everyone. Message us for a private appointment at our new outdoor shop in Potomac. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Call us: (301) 706-8122. Email us: email@example.com. Check out our new website: austynparker.com.
- GYM & TONIC, the premiere store for athleisure wear that takes you from bootcamp to brunch. Stop by to shop in person at Park Potomac, Monday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. We also offer virtual shopping appointments, same-day delivery in the DMV & shipping all over the U.S. Find us on Instagram @lovegymandtonic to see all of our latest arrivals. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, inside the Cabin John mini-mall. Beautiful fun & casual tops are in! Pair them with our lightweight summer pants/capris/shorts & ankle pants. Come on in for a private appointment, or schedule a virtual shopping session. New open/walk-in hours starting in July; call us for the latest. Curbside/limited delivery/shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels, custom baskets & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday & 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- OAK is a modern Kensington boutique infusing creativity, comfort & style with a slight twist. This time of year, the store is evolving with lots of cotton, linen & athleisure. Think comfy style with lots of natural fibers & basics with an edge. Fair trade and made-in-the-U.S. products when possible. Most items priced under $100. Open every day but Mondays at 10511 Metropolitan Ave., minutes from Rockville Pike. Shop Facebook & Instagram to see what’s in the store. Call us: (301) 933-0281. Website: oakthshop.com,
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. Check out our new arrivals: more graphic tees, dresses, joggers, Jagged Halo jewelry, kimonos, totes, scarf print tops & beaded phone bags! Lots of bright colors. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online, shop in-store or call us: (301) 348-5047. Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email email@example.com; or visit freemansauction.com/directory/debrah-dunner.
- STX GOLD — turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, commercial, residential & emergency. Lock repair & replacement, re-key services, touchscreen locks & high-security locks. Now offering security cameras, video doorbells & monitored security systems accessible on any device, so you can talk to visitors & unlock doors remotely. All at a low monthly fee. Labor & materials guaranteed for as long as you own your home. Appointments & after-hour emergencies: (240) 506-7500. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
- COLLEGE MONEY SMART: Paying for college on your mind? Don’t let college costs derail your financial life. Take control of your college financial planning to lower your costs, avoid excessive debt and protect your family’s future. When you know more, you won’t owe more! Call (301) 841-8727 or email Taren Coleman at email@example.com. Website: collegemoneysmart.com.
- MALECH LAW, Bethesda family law attorney. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support and alimony battles, enforcing and modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, and settlement agreements. Call Lloyd Malech at (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
- TRANSWORLD BUSINESS ADVISORS: Looking to sell or expand your business? We offer more than four decades of experience selling businesses and handling mergers, acquisitions and franchises. Let us confidentially and professionally market your business to get you top dollar, or assist you in expanding with our turnkey franchise development packages. Looking to own a business? We represent over 300 different brands & can match you with the right one. Call Mike Hadad, (301) 732-8070, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email email@example.com or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. Trainers are now vaccinated! Full vax equals no masks if you are also vaccinated, according to CDC guidelines. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.