Who's moving into Cabin John?
After many months of parking lot construction outside the Cabin John mini-mall, a building frame is finally beginning to rise. The original design called for several new storefronts to occupy a portion of that lot, but now it appears that two more banks are on the way instead. Meanwhile, retail occupancy inside the mini-mall is dwindling fast. The Zohra salon let its lease expire in June, Toy Castle departed in August, and this month yet another tenant is saying goodbye. (Scroll down to our next story for more on that.) Property owner Edens has declined to share any updates about its construction plans for Cabin John Village. But the long-awaited strip mall cut-through was supposed to have happened by now, and insiders tell us that it’s been delayed by at least another year. (Haven’t heard about the strip mall cut-through? Click here to read all about it.)
Sweet beginning, sad ending
Just a few weeks after Breadsmith closed its doors, Cabin John Village is losing another bakery. Sweetly Anchored Patisserie, specializing in fancy cakes and pies, is moving out of the mini-mall. Owner Lindsay Miniaci, who opened the bakery just two years ago, says the lack of weddings, mitzvahs and other large events means there haven’t been enough cake orders to pay the bills. Miniaci has been in the kitchen fulfilling custom orders for the past few months, but she didn’t think there was enough foot traffic to justify opening her gates for walk-in business. “With Zohra and Toy Castle exiting, that made it even worse,” says Miniaci, who poured much of her savings into the beach-themed storefront. “This mall has been a small business haven for many of us. If the community wants these places to be around, they must support them now.”
Will Sisters Thai reopen?
When Sisters Thai abruptly went dark at Cabin John Village last week, fans worried that Potomac might be losing another favorite local restaurant. But owner Tammie Disayawathana, who oversees the Virginia-based Sisters chain, assures us that the closing will be brief. First there were some technical issues, she says, “and then we took this opportunity to do a deep clean.” Sisters, which opened in 2019, will likely be back in business by next week. (Editor’s note: Sisters reopened on Oct. 24th.)
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
If you’re doing some fall shopping, be sure to support our local stores in person, by phone and online. Most will be happy to do curbside pickup, many will deliver, and some will even offer you a private shopping appointment. Scroll through this week’s Store Reporter Guide for loads of clothes, cute gifts and plenty of home inspiration. (For an in-person look at the Halloween goodies above, visit The Blue House in downtown Bethesda).
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids & cute clothes for moms. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. For gift ideas, party planning & what’s in stock, call us: (301) 706-8122 or email us: email@example.com.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel. Whether you’re working out or working from home, we have the casual comfortable looks you want right now — plus lots of different style of masks, from tie-dye to camo! Now open for in-person shopping Monday-Saturday 12-4 p.m., and we’re always sanitizing for the safest possible experience. Prefer to shop from home? DM us for virtual visits & delivery in the DMV. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 340-8800.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, inside the Cabin John mini-mall. All new loungewear and cozy, comfy fashions from $49-$99. Don’t miss our closeout sales: $10-$49 on your favorite brands. Free designer face masks with your purchase. Ask about virtual shopping and one-on-one appointments. Curbside pickup & shipping on orders over $50. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Monday-Friday. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com
- MY BEST FRIEND’S CLOSET, a fun & exciting shopping experience with the best selection of junior, young contemporary & women’s clothing at very reasonable price points. 9735 Traville Gateway Drive, Rockville. We receive new merchandise daily, so stop in often to find fun pieces to add to your wardrobe. Don’t miss our very popular $10 racks. Open Monday-Saturday noon to 4 p.m., with private appointments on Sunday. Shop Instagram. Call (301) 340-3233. Website: mybffcloset.com
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. We have tons of new fall arrivals. Check out our chic new Italian lines, unique jewelry items, messenger bags with guitar straps & fun comfy joggers. Click here for new face mask colors & styles. Shop Instagram. Shop Facebook. We will continue to offer curbside pickup, so feel free to shop online or call us at (301) 348-5047 to help with your shopping needs! Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Freshly stocked with fall & Halloween goodies including locally made candy kabobs, themed candles & lanterns, fun dishes & dish towels, Halloween doorbells & popcorn monster mix. Open 10:30 to 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: email@example.com. ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Website: thebluehousebethesda.com.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes from scratch, cheese blintzes & more — plus artisan bagels from Bethesda Bagels. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Outdoor seating & limited indoor seating now open for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Full menu and weekly specials, plus 1/2 off all wine, beer & cocktails. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- HUNTER’S BAR AND GRILL, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: (301) 299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, choose no-contact curbside carryout, or enjoy our patio for outdoor dining plus limited seating indoors. Reservations recommended. Check Facebook for daily specials. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. The fireplace is ON! Live music is back! Open until midnight! New fall menu featuring grilled chops, steaks, salads & sandwiches. NFL Ticket: Catch all the games on Sundays with Sunday brunch, bottomless mimosas & bloody Marys. Discounted beer and wine to go, carry-out, curbside pickup, indoor & outdoor dining options. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Eighteen varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery, curbside pickup & limited indoor seating, plus outdoor dining at Fallsgrove. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE, modern French cooking in Rockville. Freshly reopened for curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road or delivery with Grubhub. Also offering outdoor dining plus limited seating in our newly redesigned dining room. Offering your favorite waffles, beef bourguignon, two-course family meals for four starting at $58, and much more. Order online or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- OFF THE HOOK CATERING: The team behind the Go Fish food truck, now offering seafood pickup & delivery every Friday. Lobster rolls, lobster meat with butter, ready-to-cook crab cakes, creamy crab soup, fish & shrimp taco kits, weekly chicken & salmon specials, garlic-roasted green beans, corn bread, Mexi-slaw, fresh-baked cookies & much more. Email: email@example.com. Menu: offthehookcatering.com.
- PIKE KITCHEN on Rockville Pike offers some of the best Asian food in the DMV, all under one roof. Instead of franchises, we carefully select operators who are passionate about cooking & creating. From mochi donuts, matcha lattes & bubble tea to bibimbap, bulgogi beef stew, ramen, katsu, poke bowls, sushi, pho & bánh mi sandwiches, here you can try it all. Open daily noon to 8 p.m. for carryout, delivery & limited indoor dining. Visit us: 1066 Rockville Pike. Call us: (301) 603-2279. Menu: pikekitchen.com/carryout-delivery.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Sunday with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $90 per person for two nights, or $120 per person for three. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup and patio dining at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our oysters on the half-shell, crab hush puppies, Angus burgers, poke bowls & the $78 Clambake for two: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw. Now open Sundays noon to 8 p.m., with brunch from noon to 4 p.m. Call (301) 299-9888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Open Thanksgiving for dine-in & carry-out. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email email@example.com or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your fall events now; private shopping appointments are available throughout the summer. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email email@example.com; or visit freemansauction.com/specialists/debrah-dunner.
- ISI FURNISH, lightly used furnishings & decor at a fraction of the cost. Our white-glove service makes it easy to sell your fine furniture discreetly & professionally. If you’re looking to buy, we offer a wide range of affordable luxury furnishings to match your design and budget. Call us: (971) 337-4403. Shop with us for new items every week: isifurnish.com.
- STX GOLD — turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups & age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends & still social distance. Also introducing pod play dates! We come to your backyard. We’re still offering interactive live Zoom classes & birthday parties. And we’ve opened the Potomac location for small group indoor playdates & small three-hour camps. Ask about our Halloween events. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- POTOMAC PHYSICAL THERAPY & REHAB, PT in the comfort & convenience of your home or office. We treat patients from birth to adulthood for sports injuries, postpartum recovery, orthopedic & neurologic conditions, pediatric disorders, chronic & acute pain, headache & concussions, oncology rehab & more. Our Covid precautions include masks for clinician & patient, hand & equipment sanitizing, option for outdoor or garage sessions. More info: firstname.lastname@example.org or www.potomacptandrehab.com.
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email email@example.com or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, initial session is free! Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program that’s designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We always wear masks, we disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.