Sushi on the way to Cabin John
Good news for Potomac’s sushi scene: Kema by Kenaki is ready to move forward at the Cabin John mini-mall. The project has been at a virtual standstill since it was first announced in 2021, but co-owner Aki Ballogdajan says the delays are finally over and doors could open by February in the former Zohra salon space. This will be the third restaurant for Ballogdajan and her brother Ken, who also operate four-year-old Kenaki in Kentlands and two-year-old Ako by Kenaki in D.C. Their Cabin John location will have 30ish seats with a fast-casual setup (ordering at the counter, no table service) and a streamlined menu focusing on sushi, beer, wine and cocktails.
New owners for Amalfi
Amalfi Ristorante Italiano, a Rockville institution since 1977, has been sold to the owners of Chef Tony’s on Pooks Hill Road. “Chef” Tony Marciante, who co-owns the two restaurants with wife Sonia, says he will blend their menus but hold onto favorites like Amalfi’s white pizza. Amalfi, at 12307 Wilkins Ave., is closed for a facelift and will reopen under the name Chef Tony’s @Amalfi.
Popeyes goes dark at the mall
It’s unusual for stores and restaurants to close down during the busy holiday season, but that’s exactly what happened with Popeyes at Westfield Montgomery mall. The restaurant went dark without explanation for several weeks, then suddenly reopened just in time for this weekend’s crowds. Is it back for good? We’ll see. A few doors down from Popeyes, DQ/Orange Julius permanently closed last summer. But the last couple of months also have brought some newcomers to the mall’s Dining Terrace: namely Greek Aroma, serving a halal menu, and Malia’s Kitchen, offering seafood and soul food.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
This week we welcome Sheyla Vie Collections to the Store Reporter Guide. This Friendship Heights boutique has everything you need for party season and beyond — all at deep discounts. For more local shopping inspiration, scroll down.
- BONDAY is a Rockville lifestyle boutique brimming with unique gifts that spark joy. We have items from Indonesia, Turkey & Africa; plus clothing, shoes & purses from Europe. Take 20% off all French designers this holiday season: Alain Manoukian, Rodier Paris, Bill Tornade, Courreges, Torrente, Lulu Castagnette, Georges Rech & Exaltation. We have gifts starting at $20, wrapped & delivered in the DMV. Find us at Federal Plaza on Rockville Pike. Shop Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 249-5908. Website: lebonday.com.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, upstairs inside the Cabin John mini-mall. New sweaters, Lurex from Europe, Orna Farho from Paris. You won’t find them anywhere else! Stop in to see everything in person, schedule a private appointment, or arrange a virtual shopping session. Curbside pickup & shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. Website: hannasconnection.com.
IBHANA BOUTIQUE is the place to shop your favorite U.S. & Canadian designers: Joseph Ribkoff, IC, Snoskins, Moonlight, Lisette, Lior, Terra, Piccadilly, Habitat & more. Complete your outfit with a beautiful piece of jewelry & matching handbag, & walk out as your best self. New location: Federal Plaza in Rockville, 1776 East Jefferson Street, Suite 116. Open Monday-Saturday 10-5, Sunday 11-4. Phone: (301) 424-0906. Website: ibhana.net.
- JOYFUL BATH CO.: We make our own soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, soy candles, Turkish towels & custom baskets. All our products are vegan & cruelty-free, paraben & phthalate-free, great for sensitive skin, no SLS or detergents, no glittery mess. We ship, we offer curbside pickup, or visit us in person: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday and 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Call (301) 986-5320. Website: joyfulbathco.com.
- KAUFMANN JEWELERS: Fine jewelry, custom jewelry, large & small repairs. Father & son George & Corey Kaufmann are carrying on the family tradition: offering an upscale shopping experience while preserving the handshake-generation, family-business mentality. Whether we’re designing your custom piece, showing you our collection or handling your repairs, Kaufmann Jewelers strives to build lifelong clients. Call us: (301) 978-7778. Visit us at Park Potomac, 12500 Park Potomac Avenue. Website: kaufmannjewelers.com.
- LEILA JEWELS is the online address for the jewelry, gifts & Judaica shop you used to love at Cabin John Shopping Center. Since closing the shop a few years ago, owner Deb Shalom has gone virtual with a unique & beautiful selection of everything from gemstones & sterling silver to Murano glass from Venice & Judaica from Alef Bet Jewelry & Joy Stember Studios. Every price point, every occasion. Free shipping for all jewelry & hand-delivery for customers in the Potomac area. Website: leilajewels.com.
- OUR GIFT BIZ: We take the guesswork (and the stress!) out of gift-giving. Give us your budget & your corporate (or personal) holiday list, and we’ll do the rest: choose the perfect gift, wrap it beautifully & ship it out with a lovely hand-written card. Gourmet food boxes are our specialty — and we personally taste everything we ship, so we know it will leave a memorable & lasting impression. Check us out on Facebook & Instagram. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (240) 406-8701. Website: ourgiftbiz.com.
- SAINTS VALLEY: Hand-crafted jewelry & gifts for the home at Rockville Town Square. We specialize in cashmere & silk garments, embroidered shawls & scarves, hand-made carpets, pillow covers, wall hangings, purses, pouches & pashminas. Our silver jewelry with real gemstones is hand-made in Armenia. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone: (301) 906-3493.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. New arrivals: jackets, blazers, maxi dresses, jumpsuits, lightweight cardis & more fall styles. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online, shop in-store or call us: (301) 348-5047. Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- SHEYLA VIE COLLECTIONS: Designer & luxury women’s fashions at affordable prices. Visit our Friendship Heights boutique for one-of-a-kind special occasion gowns, luxury gifts, holiday party outfits & VIP personal service. We carry everything from Gucci, Balenciaga, Yves Saint Laurent & Sam Edelman to Jovani, Temptation & Redemption — all at 10%-70% off every day. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online or visit us at 5333 Wisconsin Avenue NW. Phone: (202) 506-7125. Website: sheylaviecollections.com.
- SUSAN KOEHN DESIGNS: Fine, classic, edgy & timeless jewelry. Check out our latest on Facebook & Instagram. Call, text, email or DM for a private appointment at our showroom. Email susankoehndesigns.com. Phone: (301) 704-7605.
FITNESS, HEALTH & BEAUTY
- NUTRILINXS PERSONALIZED NUTRITIONAL COUNSELING: Real-world one-on-one advice to help you reach your health, wellness & happiness goals. Beth Dorman, a registered dietitian nutritionist with three decades of experience & credentials, will help you discover sensible solutions, address medical challenges & get off the dieting rollercoaster for good. What better gift could you give yourself or your loved ones this holiday season? Email: email@example.com. Phone: (301) 760-8280. Website: nutrilinxs.com.
- LIVE LASH LOVE: Sue & her team are experts at creating lush lashes. From subtle lifts, tints, classic & hybrid lashes to volume & mega-volume “wow” eyes, Live Lash Love will put together a look that suits your style. Specializing in NovaLash, LashBoxLA, LashMakers & Elleebana. Conveniently located at Rockville’s Federal Plaza, in the Phenix Salon Suites near Trader Joe’s. Check out the looks on Instagram. Appointments: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or text 703-839-3523 visit https://livelashlove.
- MODA OPTIC: Celebrating 14 years of framing your faces in Rockville. New fall releases arriving daily! From straight-up glamorous sophistication to subtle to artful, let us bring your look to life. Book an eyewear experience with one of our incredible opticians today. Appointments prioritized, walk-ups welcome. 130 Rollins Ave. Call us: (301) 881-9444. Website: www.modaoptic.net.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. All trainers are vaccinated. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
- SHIN ORTHODONTICS is one of MoCo’s leading providers of Invisalign. Drs. Richard & Debra Shin, board-certified orthodontists, are also experts in traditional braces, lingual braces such as InBrace, Brius, & 3D-printed braces such as Lightforce that best suit your lifestyle. We treat teens, adults & kids at two convenient locations: 4701 Randolph Road in Rockville & the Cabin John mini-mall in Potomac. Call for a free consultation: (301) 750-6699. Text us: (301) 812-3011. Website: shinorthodontics.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
- THE GLOSSARY NAIL SPA: The newest salon at Cabin John Village, offering manicure, pedicures & waxing. You’ll find us right next to My Eye Dr. We use the highest quality products and never re-use materials, so everything is fresh for you. Walk-ins welcome, but weekends are busy so it’s best to make an appointment. Call us: (240) 660-2192. Website: glossarynailspa.com.
- TOTALLY POLISHED at the Cabin John mini-mall, walk in or call (301) 299-3672. Serving the Potomac community for more than 30 years. From gel manicures & dip manicures to signature pedicures & waxing, we do it all. We take great care with sanitation, including disposable pedicure tools & liners. Check out our work on Facebook & Instagram. We’re open 7 days a week. Stop by to enjoy a relaxing day!
- WINK EYECARE BOUTIQUE: Dr. Rachel Cohn & her talented team of opticians will make sure you always look & see your best. We offer high-tech eye exams & assessments, plus trending frames from designers like Robert Marc, Oliver Peoples & Anne et Valentin. We’ll monitor the health of your eyes & can assist with dry eyes, allergies, contact lenses & more. We are all vaccinated, & have state-of-the-art air & UV light filters. Find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1095 Seven Locks Road. Call (301) 545-1111. Website: wink.net.
SELLING YOUR JEWELRY
- JUST JEWELS: Ready to sell your jewelry? Lee Siegel has been buying & selling diamonds, fine jewelry & watches for 25 years. Modern & older cuts, engagement rings, loose diamonds, vintage pieces & brands like Cartier, Tiffany, Van Cleef & Arpels, David Webb, Chopard, Bvlgari, David Yurman, Rolex, Cartier, Patek Philippe & Omega. License #2801. Call our office in Bethesda: (301) 525-7561. Email email@example.com. Website: justjewelsusa.com.
- STX GOLD: We can help you settle any estate. Get full value for all precious metal items — gold jewelry, sterling silver flatware & silver serving pieces. We’ll do an in-home appointment, no obligation, to evaluate your items. Call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
KIDS & TEENS
- TIPS ON TRIPS AND CAMPS: What are your kids doing next summer? We’re here to offer ideas, expertise & plenty of options. Tips on Trips and Camps has been around for half a century, guiding families like yours to the best summer options for their students ages 7-18+. All our services are FREE to families. No need to figure this out alone — we are happy to help, with plenty of ideas for summer 2022! To get started on your summer plan, call Lisa Bulman Mullen: (561) 703-6448 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOME & PROFESSIONAL SERVICES
- MALECH LAW, Bethesda family law practitioner. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support & alimony battles, enforcing & modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, & settlement agreements. Call Lloyd Malech at (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com. Family law, reenvisioned.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, commercial, residential & emergency. Lock repair & replacement, re-key services, touchscreen locks & high-security locks. Now offering security cameras, video doorbells & monitored security systems accessible on any device, so you can talk to visitors & unlock doors remotely. All at a low monthly fee. Labor & materials guaranteed for as long as you own your home. Appointments & after-hour emergencies: (240) 506-7500. Email: email@example.com. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BOULANGERIE CHRISTOPHE: Authentic French bakery at Cabin John Village. We have everything you’re craving: sandwiches, salads, quiche, omelettes, crepes, fresh-baked breads, croissants & award-winning baguettes. Finish your meal with beautiful French pastries & Illy coffee. Also: Fresh-baked challah every Friday & Saturday. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Delivery via Ubereats. Phone: (301) 298-9878. Website: boulangeriechristophe.com.
- DISTRICT FALAFEL: This former food truck, now at Westlake Crossing, serves up fresh Middle Eastern & Mediterranean food. Beyond falafel, you’ll find gyros, shawarma, zaatar chicken, beef kofta, cauliflower bowls, hummus, baba ghannouj, tzatziki, labneh, pita, sumac & zaatar French fries. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (301) 767-3300. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Website: districtfalafel.com.
- FILICORI ZECCHINI CAFE: Authentic Italian coffee, from Bologna to Potomac. Open daily for breakfast, lunch, baked goods, snacks, gelato, coffee & tea. We also offer coffee beans & espresso blends, so your favorite coffee can accompany you everywhere. Follow us on Facebook and Instagram. 12430 Park Potomac Ave. Phone: (301) 444-4417.
- FISH TACO: Let’s catch up! We are family-owned and we source our food seasonally, sustainably & locally. We take pride in using the highest quality ingredients to bring our guests delicious, hand-crafted meals & empower them to connect with what’s important in life. We offer our famous fish tacos, as well as an assortment of Baja-inspired favorites. Visit us at multiple area locations, or order online at www.fishtacoonline.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Full menu and weekly specials featuring pizzas, pastas, seafood, meats, salads & more. Open indoors & outdoors for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Call for catering: (800) 749-8894. Menu for all locations: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- PICCOLI PIATTI PIZZERIA: Authentic. Neapolitan. Greatness. We use high-quality imported Italian flour & tomatoes, locally sourced meats, organic produce & spectacular domestic cheeses to create exceptional, affordable dishes that please the whole family. Our pizza is crafted to order in the classic Neapolitan style & finished in our 900-degree brick oven. Great pastas, small plates & lunch sandwiches too! 10257 Old Georgetown Road in the Wildwood center. Call us: (240) 858-6099. Order online: piccolipiattipizzeria.com.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Dine with us or choose contact-free delivery, curbside pickup or takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally owned & operated. Visit us on Bethesda Row for fresh roasted coffee by the pound, custom-made coffee & tea drinks, fresh-squeezed juices & smoothies. Try any of our drinks with oat milk, almond milk or soy milk. Want coffee shipped to your door? Subscriptions available & $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum. Visit www.quartermaine.com.
- QUINCY’S POTOMAC BAR & GRILLE, at Potomac Woods Plaza off Montrose & Seven Locks. Twenty beers on tap & American bar fare: hand-cut sirloins, filets & ribeyes; fried chicken, grilled chicken kabobs, lamb lollipops, fajitas & more. We host trivia night on Mondays, karaoke on Tuesdays, bingo on Wednesdays, Family Feud on Thursdays. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 500-3010. Menu: quincyspotomac.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $40 and up, per person per night. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + drinks & desserts. Indoor & patio dining with a funky, charming decor at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Try our chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & much more. We’re also known for our Instagrammable desserts, cocktails, teas, fruit drinks & specialty lattes. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE BOTTLE SHOP WINE & BEER: Exceptional wine, craft beer & artisan snacks — chilled & ready to go — to make your evenings special. You’ll find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 350 Fortune Terr., around the corner from Park Potomac (Montrose & Seven Locks). Check our weekly wine & beer discounts on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Call us: (301) 738-9463. Website: mybottleshop.net.
- THE PRETZEL BAKERY: Philly-inspired soft pretzels, hand-rolled & fresh out of the oven all day long. Breakfast sliders, calzones, pretzel dogs, sweet & savory diets, La Colombe coffee, Boylan’s sodas, Carmen’s Italian ices. Find out why we’ve been named “Best Breakfast Sandwich,” “Best Pretzel” & one of the “50 Must-Try Dishes in D.C.” Open till 5 p.m. daily at Cabin John Village, 7961 Tuckerman Lane. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Order ahead & pick up a pretzel box: (301) 242-3539 or thepretzelbakery.com.
- WELL-FED BY NOURISH CULINARY CO.: The North Bethesda personal chef service is now delivering weekly meals to your door. We post a five-dinner menu every week — all seasonal and locally sourced — with options for gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan preparation. Choose three dinners for two ($250) or three dinners for four ($350). Order by Thursday, and we’ll deliver everything the following Tuesday. Follow us on Instagram @nourisheculinary. Website: nourishculinary.com. Click here for all the details.
- YEKTA PERSIAN MARKET & KABOB COUNTER: We have all your Persian, Iranian & Middle Eastern favorites: Breads, spreads, yogurt drinks, coffee & tea, spices & herbs, nuts & seeds, pomegranate, sweet lemon, rock candy & much more. We also offer prepared foods and made-to-order kabobs, bowls, stews, veggie platters, sandwiches & Persian desserts. Order online for home delivery, or visit us at 1488 Rockville Pike. Kabob counter: (301) 984-0005. Market: (301) 984-1190. Menu: yektamarket.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- JAMIE KRAMER EVENTS is dedicated to crafting authentic, memorable & customized experiences for private & corporate events. Celebrations & milestones, conferences & board meetings, team building, corporate retreats, networking & more. Whether you’re ready for an in-person event or still prefer virtual, we promise to make it unforgettable. Check us out on Instagram & Facebook, and email firstname.lastname@example.org to start planning. Website: jamiekramerevents.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party), recitals, graduations, cotillion & other special occasions. Our clothes are fashionable, well-made, well-priced, age-appropriate — and not typically found in department stores. Now booking private shopping appointments at www.calendly.com/shoplilacgirl. Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email email@example.com.
Louis Charlip says
I was in Montgomery Mall today and Popeyes was open and doing a brisk business
Store Reporter says
Yep, the place was closed for several weeks and just reopened without explanation. We have updated our story accordingly.