Latest update on the Attman’s closing: After exiting Cabin John Village last week, the deli may be heading to Park Potomac. Owner Marc Attman confirms that he’s in discussions to take over the prime corner spot next to Sugo and Founding Farmers, which has been vacant since Zoës Kitchen closed in January. “We think it’s a good spot,” Attman says, but uncertainty over coronavirus has delayed a potential deal. If Attman’s moves to Park Potomac, we’ll soon have dueling delis off Seven Locks and Montrose. Brooklyn’s, with an avid following of its own, is just around the corner at Potomac Woods Plaza.
The week in retail: What's up, what's down & why you're about to get a mask
The past few days have brought a new round of retailers furloughing most of their employees, from Nordstrom, REI and Dick’s Sporting Goods to The Container Store, Marshalls and TJ Maxx. This follows last week’s furlough announcements from Macy’s, Kohls, Gap, Victoria’s Secret and Bath & Body Works. On the other side of the equation, grocery stores have been so busy that most are limiting visitors to allow for social distancing. But food isn’t the only category facing unprecedented demand. Home exercise equipment, cooking appliances and gardening tools are flying off the virtual shelves. Video games are selling like crazy, but so are more old-fashioned pursuits like board games, building sets and puzzles. As the weather warms up, families without access to playgrounds are outfitting their backyards with trampolines, lawn games and inflatable bounce houses. And in Montgomery County, masks are about to be a hot seller: As of next Monday (April 13th), face covers will be mandatory when you’re out shopping.
What about returns?
Here’s another issue that retailers are struggling with right now: What to do about returns and refunds? Stores that are closed can’t accept them in person, and stores that are open don’t want customers crowding in line or handing back potentially contaminated goods. Some supermarkets, including Giant, have declared all sales final until further notice. Others, including Costco, are refusing to take back hoarded items like toilet paper and bottled water. But many retailers have gone in the opposite direction, extending their return windows by weeks or months until stores have reopened and customers are allowed to shop for non-essentials. Even Amazon has relaxed its usual 30-day refund policy, announcing this week that orders placed in March and April can be returned until the end of May.
We're Open! Local food, shopping and live classes
Our “We’re Open!” Guide is growing like crazy as locally owned businesses find new ways to serve you. Support our stores and restaurants — and give yourself a much-needed break — with takeout meals, no-contact delivery, shopping, live online classes and more. (Want to advertise in our guide? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
- Brooklyn’s Deli, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza. 1089 Seven Locks Road. Phone: 301-340-3354. Open daily for carry-out & catering. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- Cava Mezze, Greek comfort food. Family meals starting at $50 include kabobs, rice, salad, sandwiches & more. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with multiple apps, or 10% off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 309-9090. cavamezze.com.
- Gregorio’s Trattoria, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village. 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-296-6168. Open daily for lunch & dinner. Carry-out, curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery available. All wine and beer 1/2 off. Menu: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- Hunter’s Bar and Grill, the “Cheers” of Potomac. 10123 River Road. Phone: 301-299-9300. Open for lunch, dinner and gift card sales. Half-priced bottles of wine with food purchase. Delivery through DoorDash and GrubHub, or choose no-contact curbside carryout. Menu: huntersbarandgrill.com.
- Julii, comfort food + market goods. $30 family meals, sandwiches, Chef D’s favorite dishes plus toilet paper, paper towels & flour. Champagne, batched cocktails, discounted beer, 1/2 off wine. Delivery with UberEats, or 10 percent off contactless curbside pickup if you call directly: (301) 517-9090. julii.com.
- Metro Microgreens, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Twelve varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Order at metromicrogreens.com, email email@example.com or call 301-706-4884.
- Moby Dick Kabobs, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: 240-660-2626. Rockville location: 301-738-0005. Open for carry-out, delivery and curbside pickup. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- Normandie Farm, pop on over for fine cooking in Potomac. 10710 Falls Road. Phone: 301-983-8838. Open for carry-out service. Full menu, popovers & jam to go: popovers.com.
- Playa Bowls, acai and pitaya bowls, smoothies, fresh-squeezed juices & coffee drinks. Cabin John Village, 7919 Tuckerman Lane, Potomac. Phone: 240-403-7456. Full menu available for curbside pickup and multiple delivery apps. Order online: playabowls.com.
- St. Veg, 100% plant-based (vegan) cuisine at Fallsgrove Village Center. 14929 Shady Grove Rd., Unit M. Phone: 301-605-7511. Open for carry-out Tuesday-Saturday, noon to 6:30 p.m. Call in your order, pay by phone and pick up at the designated table just inside the entrance. stveg.com/menu/
- The Grilled Oyster Co., fine dining at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Phone: 301-299-9888. Limited menu, beer and wine for carry-out & delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- The Original Pancake House, the first name in pancakes. Locations in Rockville, Bethesda & Falls Church. Phone: 301-468-0886. Full breakfast and lunch menu for carry-out, curbside and delivery via Grubhub & DoorDash. Menu: ophrestaurants.com.
- Yekta Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Restaurant open Tuesday-Sunday for curbside pickup, carry-out & delivery apps; call 301-984-0005. Market open 11 a.m.-6 p.m. daily with curbside pickup. Email email@example.com or call 301-984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.
BEER, WINE & COFFEE
- Quartermaine Coffee Roasters, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-3 p.m. daily with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call 301-718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- Talbert’s Ice & Beverage Service, beer & wine delivery. 5234 River Road. Phone: 301-652-3000. Open for walk-ins and as always, delivering beer & wine throughout MoCo, plus ice, sodas & mixers to the DMV. talbertsice.com.
- Hanna’s Connection clothing boutique. Refresh your closet. Refresh your mood. Temporarily closed at the Cabin John mini-mall, but offering virtual shopping and online orders with free delivery. Now offering designer face masks, $10 or free with purchase. Call us: 301- 704-0264. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram.
- R Boutique, soon to reopen inside Art & Chemistry by Diego at Downtown Crown. Now selling unisex cotton face masks, solids and prints, hand-washable and reusable, starting at $10. Shop Facebook. Shop Instagram. For questions, call Rayna Badwey Matz: 301-943-2000. To purchase, visit rboutique.shop.
- Scout & Molly’s Boutique, your North Bethesda fashion destination. Temporarily closed at Pike & Rose, but now online at 30% off total purchase + free shipping. Check out our Instagram for weekly giveaways to promote positive vibes. Call us: 301-348-5047. Shop: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- Toy Castle home delivery service. Open for orders 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday. Same-day, no-fee delivery with $35 minimum order. 1,000-piece puzzles and tons of other items continually re-stocked. Shop for ideas our Facebook page, call for suggestions and to place your order: (301) 299-0680.
ONLINE & LIVE CLASSES
- International School of Music, now offering online music lessons. All ages and levels, multiple platforms including Skype, FaceTime and Zoom. Take the next step on your musical journey. Call (301) 365-5888 or visit our website: ismw.org.
- My Gym Live! age-appropriate fun for all the kids. Live interactive 30-minute kids’ fitness classes filled with song, dance, gymnastics, sports and more. Our gyms may be closed, but we’re bringing all the fun you expect from My Gym directly into your house. Now offering My Gym Live! birthday parties. More info here: mygym.com/potomac.