Goodbye Addie's, hello oysters
New restaurant heading to Park Potomac in the former Addie’s space: King Street Oyster Bar, a D.C.-area chain opening its first location in Maryland. The menu will range from East and West Coast oysters, seafood and smoked fish to salads, sandwiches, brunch options and specialty cocktails. Addie’s closed its doors at the beginning of the pandemic (more on that in our May 21st issue), and we’ve heard rumors for months about various restaurant chains eyeing its prime corner space. Now that King Street has signed on the dotted line, we’re told that doors could open as early as February.
There goes Not Your Average Joe's
Not Your Average Joe’s has closed its doors “until further notice” at the Georgetown Square shopping center. The Massachusetts-based chain says it’s “temporarily” closing some of its “lower-volume” restaurants and cutting back hours at others. Another location in Gaithersburg will remain open — at least for now. Many restaurants in colder parts of the U.S. are trying this hibernation strategy as a way of cutting expenses to the bare minimum until it’s warm enough for outdoor dining. Not Your Average Joe’s has been open on Old Georgetown Road since 2015, replacing one-time favorite Hamburger Hamlet.
Abercrombie's out at the mall
This week we say goodbye to Abercrombie & Fitch, which is closing its doors after a long run at Westfield Montgomery mall. In its heyday back in the early 2000s, Abercrombie was a favorite of label-conscious teens and a target of criticism for its risqué ads and catalogs. But the clothing chain has fallen out of fashion with today’s young shoppers, and many locations are downsizing or closing altogether: By the end of this month, flagship stores in Dusseldorf, London, Munich, Paris and Brussels will all go dark. At Westfield Montgomery mall, this will be the last of Abercrombie & Fitch; sister stores Abercrombie Kids and Hollister closed their doors in 2016.
The Store Reporter Guide
A weekly guide sponsored by some of our favorite local businesses
If this is your month to start focusing on fitness and health, our Store Reporter Guide is a great place to start. For personal training and online classes from a local exercise guru, be sure to check out Robert Sherman Fitness. If you’re looking for a workout plan with a medical approach, Rockville Personal Training might be the place. Fitness for Health, also in Rockville, focuses on exercise for the special needs community. And for the little ones, My Gym offers fitness and fun in whatever ways you feel comfortable: indoor classes, outdoor classes, online classes or private playdates at My Gym headquarters in Potomac and Bethesda.
- FITNESS FOR HEALTH: Dedicated to the special needs community, we offer an unparalleled evidence-based approach to therapeutic exercise, occupational therapy & physical therapy. We help our clients improve their gross & fine motor capabilities, fitness, visual motor function, self-confidence & self-esteem in our state-of-the-art facility — all while having fun! Conveniently located in Rockville, we’re open 7 days a week for in-person & telehealth services. In-network provider for Tricare & Kaiser Permanente. Call (301) 231-7138. www.fitnessforhealth.org.
- MY GYM POTOMAC & MY GYM BETHESDA, now offering our awesome fitness & fun classes outdoors in Potomac. Small groups & age-appropriate classes allow us to run around with our friends & still social distance. Also introducing pod play dates! We’re still offering interactive live Zoom classes & birthday parties. And we’ve opened the Potomac location for small group indoor playdates & small three-hour camps. More info: mygym.com/potomac.
- ROBERT SHERMAN FITNESS, personal training & Zoom classes from a master trainer for Reebok, Schwinn, SPRI, Beachbody, Lifetime & Equinox. Specializing in yoga, post-rehab, muscular strength, endurance, sports performance & active aging, with 37 years training/teaching globally. Choose in-home distanced sessions, Zoom classes for 1-4 people, or Livestream classes for as low as $10: yoga, core, strength, barre, cycle & Pilates. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit robertshermanfitness.com.
- ROCKVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING, first three sessions $99. Our private studio on Rollins Avenue uses the latest research & technology for a fun, affordable & effective exercise program that’s designed specifically for you. We have backgrounds in medical exercise & clinical physiology, plus a decade of experience working with ages 9-90. We always wear masks, we disinfect between clients, & we keep you safe with HEPA & UV-C air filtration. Check us out on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter. Call us or text us: (240) 630-0298.
FURNITURE, ART, JEWELRY & COLLECTIBLES
- FREEMAN’S AUCTION, America’s oldest auction house, established in 1805. Potomac-based rep Debrah Dunner will help you consign fine art including modern & contemporary art, jewelry, 20th Century design & more. Virtual appointments, free auction estimates, easy no-contact pickup of your goods. Call (301) 738-0347; email email@example.com; or visit freemansauction.com/specialists/debrah-dunner.
- STX GOLD — turning your old jewelry into thousands of dollars since 2009. We buy gold, silver, platinum & sterling silver flatware, serving pieces & platters. By appointment only at our office, or we’ll come to you. We always wear masks & gloves for your safety. For a no-obligation appointment, call (301) 318-9788. Visit our website & check the current price of gold: stxgold.com.
- CARD MY YARD POTOMAC is the premier yard greeting sign rental service, specializing in making your BIG day even BIGGER. Birthdays, anniversaries, babies or just because, Card My Yard will make it special! Locally owned and family-operated. Check us out on Facebook and Instagram. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us: (301) 908-3616. Book your greeting at cardmyyard.com.
- FLASHBACK FILMS, photo & video montages for your special occasion — whether in-person or virtual. Professional montages at affordable prices for all your important milestones: birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, mitzvahs & more. We’re a locally based, student-run company and will work within your budget. Send us your photos and we’ll do the rest. Visit us on Instagram. For video samples & pricing, email email@example.com.
- LILAC, special occasion wear for girls, tweens & teens. We have the perfect outfits for graduations, cotillion, bar & bat mitzvahs (both service & party) and other special occasions. Plan for your upcoming events now; private shopping appointments are available. We also have fashionable face masks for kids & adults! Find us on Instagram (@lilacgirlshop) and Facebook (@shoplilacgirl). For more info, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- JIMMY GUSKY HEATING & AIR, one-stop shop for heating, air conditioning, plumbing and ductwork, serving Rockville & the D.C. area. We always give you an honest opinion and transparent pricing, making repairs when we can and helping you decide when replacement is the better option. Have an emergency? We’re available 24/7. Call (301) 327-7306. Website: jimmygusky.com.
- MIKE’S LOCKSMITH & SECURITY, offering lock repair and replacement, keyless & touchpad systems plus door hardware, high-security keys and mailbox lockdown. All work guaranteed as long as you own your home. For after-hour emergencies or regular appointments, call (240) 506-7500. For more information, email email@example.com. Website: mikes-locksmith.com.
- TOWN & COUNTRY MOVERS, family-owned moving and storage company, based in Gaithersburg and serving the DMV since 1977. We handle local, long-distance and international relocations, as well as short-term and long-term storage solutions. Our staging division works with local realtors to enhance listings and improve home sales. Call (301) 670-4600. Website: townandcountrymovers.com.
- LAW OFFICES OF LLOYD A. MALECH, Bethesda family law attorney. Aggressive legal representation in high-conflict divorces, child custody & child support conflicts, spousal support and alimony battles, enforcing and modifying court orders, protective orders in domestic violence cases, and settlement agreements. Call us: (202) 441-2107. Website: malechlaw.com.
- TAFF & LEVINE D.D.S. provides state-of-the-art dental treatment in a relaxing atmosphere surrounded by caring doctors and staff. No insurance? No problem! Join our V.I.P. dental plan, pay one monthly fee for free hygiene appointments and 10% off all other dental procedures. 7811 Montrose Road in Potomac. Call 301-530-3717. Website: taffandlevine.com.
- AUSTYN PARKER, fun jewelry for kids, cute clothes for moms & gifts for everyone. Message us for a private appointment at our new outdoor shop in Potomac. For kids: Make-your-own jewelry kits & online parties where everyone works on a project together. For moms: We’ve got your favorite brands like LNA, Monrow, Perfect White Tee, Generation Love, Chrldr & Comune. Shop Facebook or Shop Instagram. Call us: (301) 706-8122. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- GYM & TONIC, luxury athleisure apparel. Whether you’re working out or working from home, we have the casual comfortable looks you want right now — plus lots of different style of masks, from tie-dye to camo! Now open for in-person shopping Monday-Saturday 12-4 p.m., and we’re always sanitizing for the safest possible experience. Prefer to shop from home? DM us for virtual visits & delivery in the DMV. Shop @lovegymandtonic on Instagram. Email us: email@example.com. Call us: (301) 340-8800.
- HANNA’S CONNECTION clothing boutique, inside the Cabin John mini-mall. Cozy up for the winter! Capes, scarves, wraps, sweaters, loungewear & more, all in stock now. Gloves, scarves, headbands & masks starting at $10. Come on in for a private appointment, or schedule a virtual shopping session. Curbside/limited delivery/shipping available. Shop new arrivals on Facebook and Instagram. Call us: (301) 704-0264. New website: hannasconnection.com.
- JOYFUL BATH CO., natural handmade bath and body care products for spa & wellness at home. 5534 Wilkins Ct., North Bethesda. Soaps, shower steamers, bath bombs, hemp ultra therapy, soy candles, Turkish towels, custom baskets & gift sets plus our own citric acid surface cleaner. Open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday & 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays. Call (301) 986-5320 or order online for shipping or curbside pickup: joyfulbathco.com.
- OAK is a Kensington clothing shop with an ever-evolving, curated inventory. We focus on comfy modern silhouettes, athleisure, handbags, scarves & jewelry with a twist. Lots of natural fibers, fair-trade & U.S.-made products, mostly priced below $100. Our shop is small & personal, so you’ll never feel crowded or rushed. Open every day but Monday at 10511 Metropolitan Ave., minutes from Rockville Pike. Call us: (301) 933-0281. See our one-size items at oakthshop.com, shop Facebook & Instagram to see what’s in the store.
- SCOUT & MOLLY’S BOUTIQUE, your North Bethesda fashion destination at Pike & Rose. This winter we are all things chic & cozy! New arrivals almost daily: Spanx leggings, loungewear, tie dye styles, rock band tees, Zoom-friendly tops, messenger bags with guitar straps & jewelry. End-of-season clearance sale & Flash Sale Fridays happening now. Ask about private shopping & curbside pickup. Shop Instagram, shop Facebook, shop online, shop in-store or call us: (301) 348-5047. Website: northbethesda.scoutandmollys.com.
- THE BLUE HOUSE, a happy home furnishings & lifestyle boutique with a little bit of everything. 7770 Woodmont Ave., Bethesda. Freshly stocked with goodies for your home & gifting. Open 10:30 to 5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Call us: (301) 656-6088. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org. ShopFacebook or Shop Instagram. Website: thebluehousebethesda.com.
DINING & DELIVERY
- BROOKLYN’S DELI, homemade meats, soups & sandwiches at Potomac Woods Plaza, 1089 Seven Locks Road. Try our corned beef, hand-carved pastrami, brisket, nova, chopped liver, pancakes from scratch, cheese blintzes & more — plus artisan bagels from Bethesda Bagels. Phone: (301) 340-3354. Open daily for carry-out, catering & patio dining. Menu: brooklynsdelimd.com.
- CAVA MEZZE is excited to offer our delicious family meals, salads, mezze, drinks & more at 10 percent off when you do contactless curbside pickup. Try our specialties like scallop risotto, fried calamari, opa opa shrimp, lollipop chicken, spicy lamb sliders, steak souvlaki, spanakopita & much more. We’re also excited to launch our new neighborhood food drops. Follow us on Instagram (@cavamezze)to see where we’re headed next. Website and ordering info: cavamezze.com.
- DENIZENS BREWING COMPANY delivers beer, hard seltzer, wine & cocktails directly to your doorstep! Our contactless “Beermobile“delivery service was just named as Bethesda Magazine‘s 2021 Editor’s Pick for “Best Door-to-Door Services for Six-Packs.” Order now to find out why. Weekly ordering begins every Wednesday; delivery days are Thursday-Sunday. Orders placed by 11 a.m. go out the same day. Get stocked up for the weekend and place your contactless delivery order here: denizensbrewingco.com.
- GREGORIO’S TRATTORIA, Italian favorites at Cabin John Village, 7745 Tuckerman Lane. Full menu and weekly specials featuring pizzas, pastas, seafood, meats, salads & more. Outdoor seating for lunch & dinner, 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. We also offer curbside pickup, pay by phone & contact-free delivery. Phone: (301) 296-6168. Also check out our new location at 4611-A Sangamore Road, Bethesda. Menu for all locations: gregoriostrattoria.com.
- JULII at Pike & Rose, now offering heated outdoor seating — or reserve one of our heated private outdoor igloos. We’ve added new family meals (chicken kabobs, chicken parmesan, rigatoni bolognese & family burgers) that feed four people for $55 to $65. Top off your meal with our cocktail pouches, beer & wine to go. Get 10 percent off when you choose contactless curbside pickup, or choose free delivery from DoorDash. To reserve a bubble: Email email@example.com or call (301) 517-9090. Menu: julii.com.
- LAHINCH TAVERN AND GRILL, regional American cuisine at Cabin John Village. We’ve got grilled chops, steaks, salads, sandwiches & more. NFL Ticket: Catch all the games on Sundays with Sunday brunch, bottomless mimosas & bloody Marys. Discounted beer and wine to go, carry-out, curbside pickup & outdoor dining options. Call: (240) 499-8922. Menu: lahinchtavernandgrill.com.
- METRO MICROGREENS, locally grown hydroponic microgreens. Eighteen varieties available. High in nutrient density and helps boost the immune system. Stays fresh for 10 days to two weeks. Contact-free delivery. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (301) 706-4884. To order online: metromicrogreens.com.
- MOBY DICK KABOBS, Persian cooking on the go. Multiple locations in Maryland & the DMV. Our family platters feed 3-4 people starting at $36.99 or 5-6 people starting at $63. Check out daily specials like khoresht gheymeh (yellow split-pea soup with beef) on Wednesdays & ghormeh sabzi (herb stew) on Fridays. All locations open for carry-out, delivery & curbside pickup. Potomac phone: (240) 660-2626. Rockville phone: (301) 738-0005. Menu: mobyskabob.com.
- MOSAIC CUISINE: Seasonal, French-inspired cuisine in Rockville. Happy new year! Beautiful modern dining room & bar (when we’re allowed to reopen it). Steak frites, boeuf Bourguignon, lobster bisque, shitake mushroom potage, fried chicken waffle sandwich, Nutella waffles, crêpes & much more. Open Tues.-Sun. for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Curbside pickup at 186 Halpine Road, delivery with Grubhub& Postmates, or heated outdoor dining. Easy online ordering or by phone: (301) 468-0682. Menu: mosaiccuisine.com.
- OFF THE HOOK CATERING: The team behind the Go Fish food truck, now offering seafood pickup & delivery every Friday. Lobster rolls, lobster meat with butter, ready-to-cook crab cakes, creamy crab soup, weekly chicken & salmon specials, garlic-roasted green beans, corn bread, Mexi-slaw, fresh-baked cookies & much more. Email: email@example.com. Menu: offthehookcatering.com.
- PIKE KITCHEN on Rockville Pike offers some of the best Asian food in the DMV, all at one location. Instead of franchises, we carefully select operators who are passionate about cooking & creating. From mochi donuts, matcha lattes & bubble tea to bibimbap, bulgogi, ramen, katsu, poke bowls, sushi, pho & bánh mi sandwiches, here you can try it all. Open daily noon to 8 p.m. for carryout & delivery. Visit us: 1066 Rockville Pike. Call us: (301) 603-2279. Menu: pikekitchen.com/carryout-delivery.
- POTOMAC PIZZA, a delicious favorite since 1978. Multiple locations in Maryland and the DMV. Potomac location: (301) 299-7700. Traville location: (301) 279-2234. Chevy Chase location: (301) 951-1127. Offering contact-free delivery, curbside pickup & takeout. Sister company Bagels & Grinds also offering bagels, lox & cream cheese pickup in Potomac on Saturday mornings. Menu: potomacpizza.com.
- QUARTERMAINE COFFEE ROASTERS, locally roasted fresh coffee. Bethesda store open 6 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Wednesday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Thursday-Sunday with drinks, beans & pastries. Use the Quartermaine app or call (301) 718-2853. Also: $5 flat-rate shipping with $30 minimum for beans shipped to your door. Click on the person next to the shopping cart at www.quartermaine.com.
- QUINCY’S POTOMAC BAR & GRILLE: Newly open at Potomac Woods Plaza off Montrose & Seven Locks Road. 33 flat-screen TVs, 20 beers on tap & a menu of American bar fare including hand-cut sirloins, filets, ribeyes, chicken pot pie, fried chicken & beef stew. Happy hour menu from 4-7 p.m. weekdays, with specials every weekend. Now offering takeout & outdoor dining in our large heated tent, with sports on our huge outdoor TVs. Follow us on Facebook & Instagram. Phone: (240) 500-3010. Menu: quincyspotomac.com.
- ROSE’S LUXURY: The Michelin-starred D.C. favorite is now offering delivery to our area. Choose two or three nights of impeccably prepared meals, including appetizers, entrées and desserts — $40 and up, per person per night. Your order will arrive with easy-to-follow instructions for assembly and reheating, complete with garnishes, pour-over sauces, dollops of whipped cream and custom Spotify playlists. Menus change every two weeks. Click here for details.
- SISTERS THAI POTOMAC, Asian & Thai cuisine + desserts. Pickup and patio dining at Cabin John Village, 7995 Tuckerman Lane. Specialties like chicken satay, larb gai, pad thai, drunken noodles, curry dishes & more. Phone: (301) 299-4157. Free no-contact delivery with $30 to $40 minimum order. Menu: sistersthaicabinjohn.com.
- THE BOTTLE SHOP WINE & BEER: Looking for a new neighborhood wine & beer shop? We have a great selection of exceptional wine, craft beer & artisan snacks — chilled & ready to go — to make your evenings special. You’ll find us at Potomac Woods Plaza, 350 Fortune Terrace, around the corner from Park Potomac (Montrose & Seven Locks). Check our weekly wine & beer discounts on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram. Stop in to browse our aisles, or call ahead for curbside delivery: (301) 738-9463. Website: mybottleshop.net.
- THE GRILLED OYSTER CO., American fare, seafood & drinks at Cabin John Village. 7943 Tuckerman Lane. Try our oysters on the half-shell, crab hush puppies, Angus burgers, poke bowls & the $78 Clambake for two: double Maine lobster, spiced shrimp, steamed clams, corn, potatoes & cole slaw. Now open Sundays noon to 8 p.m., with brunch from noon to 4 p.m. Call (301) 299-9888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to order. Menu: thegrilledoystercompany.com.
- WINTERGREEN PLAZA has the stores, restaurants & services businesses you need — all in one place, with free & easy parking. Besides Food Lion, Classic Beer & Wine, Dunkin’ and Starbucks, this is the home of Chipotle, Habit Burger, Jersey Mike’s, Mission BBQ, Niwano Hana, Paisano’s Pizza, Sweet Frog, Ten Ren Tea Ginseng, The Halal Guys & Wingstop. Also: salons, professional practices, Bray & Scarff, The UPS Store, Pure Hockey, Rockville Soccer, TennisTopia & much more. For a full list, click here.
- YEKTA Persian restaurant & market. 1488 Rockville Pike. Our restaurant is open for carry-out or curbside pickup, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Call (301) 984-0005 or use ChowNow, UberEats, Grubhub & other delivery apps. Our market is open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday. Carry out or pick up curbside. To place your order, email email@example.com or call (301) 984-1190. Menu: yekta.com.